? for you guys with ram air seals....

Discussion in 'Gen II Busa Information' started by mestona, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mestona

mestona Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Estona
    Do the seals connect the air box to the plastic ram air tubes or do they just link up to the frame? Thanks.

2. Got-Busa?

Got-Busa? Donating Member Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Josh
    Tubes go into the frame and seals attach to the airbox sealing around the frame, airbox/tubes don't touch...

It's a big job on a Gen-II so make sure you have plenty of time set aside to accomplish it. Also, make sure you take out the tubes and seal them VERY GOOD. The have all kinds of holes and leaks in them from factory assembly... :beerchug:

3. Lil guy Big Busa

Lil guy Big Busa Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Nicholas James Carr
    what exactly does this accomplish, still on the learning curve here:thumbsup:

4. mestona

mestona Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Estona
    On my gen 1 I used vinyl sheets (weather striping) to make a flat rubber tube which I epoxied to the outside of the plastic ram air tubes and I taped to the airbox. It made for a straight transition (it was a pain to take the airbox on and off, but it made a noticeable difference). I did it by cutting the sheet into a large rectangle and rolling it until the ends touched then I epoxied along the seam and to the tubes. I looked like this when done:

Airbox =::::== ram air tube (dots are vinyl)

This made for a solid connection that didn't involve the frame (I believe the step down to the frame is the biggest source of leakage).

If the aftermarket seals don't connect the the airbox to the tubes (just to the frame?) then I may as well repeat what I did on my gen 1 because it seems more effective to me.

5. mestona

mestona Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Estona
    Can anyone get me a pic of how they are installed, and what in the bike they sit against?

6. sixpack577

sixpack577 Top Gun Registered

Contests won:
    Allows more air and pressure into the airbox at high speed. Basically it makes things airtight between the outer opening of the ram air tubes all the way into the airbox. Ram air effect cannot be measured on a dyno either. Some of the land speed racers here will tell you that it does make a difference on high speed runs, and it should. You won't notice anything under normal riding though. Got-Busa is a good one to talk to on this, and any other top speed questions.

7. mestona

mestona Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Estona
    I'm just trying to optimize what Suzuki already provided us with. The factory ram air setup is horribly inefficient and leaky. Sealing the system better means more air goes into the airbox rather than into the bodywork. :beerchug:

8. Lil guy Big Busa

Lil guy Big Busa Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Nicholas James Carr
    I see something i will look into, thats what i was telling my buddies, that when these bikes are dynoed, the ram is not taking into account, there isnt really a way to simulate it, so these bikes prolly have more hp then what the dynos tell us due to that fact, ram air is always good for 5-10hp im guessing

9. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Registered

Contests won:
    I make Ramair seals. Here are some pics

In the CNC machine
    RA4.jpg
    RA3.jpg

Roughed out
    RA2.jpg
    RA1.jpg

MVC-017S.jpg
    ViewImage.jpg
    ViewImage2.jpg
    ViewImage3.jpg

10. Got-Busa?

Contests won:
    Name:
    Josh
    Very nice pics Gixx1300R... :thumbsup: :beerchug:

11. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Registered

Contests won:
    I have been making them since 2000 for the Hayabusa. Here is some data

RamairData.jpg

12. Got-Busa?

Contests won:
    Name:
    Josh
    I still have the article from that... :laugh:

Whatever happened to NickSlick and a few of the others?

13. mestona

mestona Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Estona
    Those look like part of them goes into the frame to contact the ram air tubes? Is that the case? If so then that might just be what I'm looking for...

14. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Registered

Contests won:
    NickSlick is on LABusa and Eggster is on 200mph.org.uk

15. Draco1340

Draco1340 Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Tom Peterson
    The physics are flawed.
    A low flow system at high pressure is highly affected by leaks, but a high flow system at low pressures isn't affected at all by leaks. The static pressure in the box is only affected by the pressure at the front of the inlet.
    Bad physics. Waste of money and time.

16. mikepeavler

mikepeavler Registered

Contests won:
    Name:
    Mike Peavler
    Nick actually bought my kits and then started reproducing them which is the funny part. I rode with him in Orlando at times..and was one of the first who made those back in 99-00 for the Gen I bikes. I've got 100's of people's info that bought them and I sent instructions on a 3.5 floppy

Ahh the early day's of testing...

Mike

17. Joriki

Joriki Registered

Contests won:
    Anyone still making these ram airbox seals for 2nd gen?

18. Joriki

Joriki Registered

Contests won:
    How about first Gen?