Gen 2 Busa Ecu Flash

thanks dennis, that's interesting, i'd assumed the woolich software was a more developed ersion of ECU editor. TOS is tip over sensor, will need to be disabled for a car.

Tip over sensor can be removed.
It simply breaks a connection when the kickstand goes down.

I'm trying to get some idea of what advantages a Woolich flash might have over ECU Editor.

I want control of all parameters addressed by a Woolich flash.
I want to self tune AFR using an O2 sensor and I want to adjust timing according to my specific needs.
I want to data log as many channels as possible.

1) I'm all set to tune AFR with my current setup which includes Bazzaz Z-Fi and Z-AFM. Should I use these along with ECU Editor or should I get the Woolich flash with Woolich AutoTune?

2) If I get a flash, I presume it is only possible have one timing map in the ECU and I would need an ignition controller to adjust timing for nitrous. ECU Editor has a switchable map selection (for fueling and timing, both?). Is there any reason to have an ignition controller with ECU Editor?

3) The Woolich Logbox looks more than adequate for data logging. If I used ECU Editor, wouldn't I be spending $300-$400 on a data logging device that had similar capabilities to the Logbox?

I'm grateful for any input you might have on the above questions but mainly, what is the difference between a flash and ECU editor?

Last edited:
Ecu editor is the software to flash the ecu.
Woolich blows.
Locks your ecu
Have to get updates before flashing and their update methods often fail as they are over the internet.
The guy that runs it is bright but they are trying to capitalize it the wrong way. When you put a lock on my ecu so I can't flash it without your software....piss off

Agreed about the lock BS.

I did not state my question very clearly. I realize ECU Editor is the old Woolich software and it is used with the flash interface box sold by Greg Smith. The new Woolich software is called Woolich Racing Tuned and does not require an interface but you can't change the flash unless you own the software or send the ECU in to a tuner who has WRT software.

To be more precise, what is different about flashing by interface box with ECU editor v flashing using the new Woolich Racing Tuned software? Is WRT software better than ECU Editor software? Could I do everything with the ECU editor that I can with WRT?

Last edited:
Tip over sensor can be removed.
It simply breaks a connection when the kickstand goes down.

Just noticed my typo.
Kickstand safety switch breaks the connection when the kickstand goes down.

The tip over switch does the same, if the bike is on it's side or upside down. It's the small box under the rear of gas tank/front of driver seat.

Glad the TOS info someone else from a year ago was asking about has been clarified. :):poke:

How about the difference between using the interface with ECU Editor v having a flash with WRT software??? Is there any difference in the quality or quantity of what you can control with the interface v a flash from a tuner?

I talked to the MAN himself, Greg Smith and he said ECU Editor is tailored to the busa more than WRT is and that ECU Editor has features that are useful for tuning boost and NOS where WRT is more focussed on tuning for basic mods.

There is a basic level of logging that can be done with the interface and ECU Editor. I have not yet seen what this is but I imagine it is %TP, rpm, timing coolant temp and wheel speed...whatever sensors are on the bike, I presume. Oh well, $250 for a data logger and I'm still spending a lot less than I would with a flash and logbox.

I'm ordering an interface tonight. It seems like the most logical first step. I know I need it for all of the things there are no modules for (like tuning flies). I'll find out what it can't do and purchase other products to fill in if necessary but it seems smartest to figure out what I can do with the interface first. From the info I have read in Greg's ad, it looks like I might not need an ignition controller or a progressive controller. The ad also mentions the ability to use an autotune program but I am sure you would need at least an O2 sensor installed.

Thanks. I'll update this thread after I mess around with ECU Editor.

Last edited:
Who ever you send it to should ba able to tell you what and way.....
If you are asking the board I didn't know they could tune.........

They can not tune only what they hear. Lets see remove the limiter, do the fans, and whatever witch means nothing. What they need is a real flash tune and gear change. If they only new what you can get out of that Busa they would drop like little pieces that mean nothing. If I showed my combination and what i run people would just freak. Go get them Johnny.

My unflashed 08 with pipe and Bazzaz still surprises me. I had two unexpected wheelies today and felt the rear tire drifting before the power really came on (after the flies or ignition cut or whatever that nonsense is). I can't wait to see what she does derestricted! First item will be flies. Second, ignition cut, third rev limiter, fourth, top speed limiter. Then we'll see what else needs changing. POssibly my underpants!

My unflashed 08 with pipe and Bazzaz still surprises me. I had two unexpected wheelies today and felt the rear tire drifting before the power really came on (after the flies or ignition cut or whatever that nonsense is). I can't wait to see what she does derestricted! First item will be flies. Second, ignition cut, third rev limiter, fourth, top speed limiter. Then we'll see what else needs changing. POssibly my underpants!

In Ecu Editor, Busa Smart TRE and top speed limiter removal are done together, click one box.
They were seperate, and smart tre was called lower timing restrictions in earlier versions of Ecu Editor software. Same result, just new name in more recent updates.
The secondary throttle plates(stp's) have a fueling table, and opening rate setting.
The fueling can/should be set to 100%, in every cell, in every gear, per Smith. This is Not air/fuel ratio, but simply using all of what is already available.
The stp opening rate is a simple copy/paste of 1st and 5th gear (both the same), to all the other gears.
I have always set the fans on/off at 10 degrees below stock.
You can also turn off the PAIR valve.
These are the basic features you get from a standard flash.

I see Smith has a few links on the interface page. Hopefully that will get me started but thank you for the details, sixpack577. If this is anything like DynoJet software, I am certain I will have many questions. If there is not already a tutorial and if it appears Greg's links do not cover EVERYTHING, I'd be glad to do an illustrated ECU Editor tutorial.

Got my little black box this AM!
ecu.editr.box3.jpg

I have both setups. Neither does everything the other does. I use ECU Editor on one bike and Woolich on the other. I do have to use ECU Editor to modify air shifter and nitrous settings on the Woolich bike. Every time I'm ready to tell people Woolich is the way to go I get stuck with a mandatory software update that hangs or my license gets locked out and I get pissed. They do respond quickly but it is still annoying.

Back