Evaporative Cooling Vest

Copperone

One of the Few, the proud -
Donating Member
Registered
I knew the heat was coming again soon to Arizona so I decided to try a TechNiche Evaporative Cooling Vest. I tried a different brand one about 5 years ago without much luck. However, This one really works. The instruction say to soak the vest for 3 to 10 minutes in cool water. The longer you soak the vest, (up to 10 minutes), the longer it will stay cool, more absorbation.

I live about 1/2 hour from work so I soak the vest in a sink at work for about 3 minutes and it keeps me cool until I get home. When its 108 to 112 out and you ride to work everyday, you get desperate to find something that will keep you cool when it pretty hot. When I say the cooling vest keeps me cool, it like wearing an airconditioner. It is that good. If I'm out for a short road trip I soak the vest for 10 minutes and then put in a "dry sack" until it gets hot and I need it. After soaking the vest for 10 minutes, it will keep me cool for about and hour to an hour and a half; then I have to stop and resoak it.

Anyhow, for anyone living a hot climate like Arizona, or any place else thats hot this vest really works and is worth the $46.00 I paid for it.
I got mine through www.soundrider.com

I was wondering about these things. I worry about how well they work in areas with high humidity. anyone with experience?

I would think that in areas of high humidity a cooling vest would probably work better that in a hot dry climate like Arizona. Here the water evaporates out of the vest in about an hour and 1/2. But, I would think in areas of high humidity the evaporation rate would be slower. As long as the vest in hydrated it will keep you cool. Not absolutely sure, but it sounds logical.

I used to wear an evap neck collar that worked pretty well in the Valley

Thanks for the heads-up Copper.

BTW, what was the other brand you tried?? Lone on here had one, its a FIELDSHEER

(can be found BY CLICKING HERE)

and he says it works VERY well for this Texas heat over here. I've got a track day coming up and I sweat like a ......... well, i sweat ALOT! I could use all the help I can get for this track day!

The vest I have has a collar and the vest zips all the way to the top. After having this vest, its the only way to beat the heat for me.

BTW, what was the other brand you tried??  Lone on here had one, its a FIELDSHEER

and he says it works VERY well for this Texas heat over here.  I've got a track day coming up and I sweat like a ......... well, i sweat ALOT!  I could use all the help I can get for this track day!
The other one I had was a cool max that I got at Laguna Seca. It was OK, but never really great. Good luck with the track day.

I bought one today cant wait to try it, mine is a MotoBoss brand and does not have a collar. It good to hear they are effective!
thumb_up.gif

Do you wear these like over your gear, under your gear, or is this supposed to be your gear? I don't see how they can protect from falls???

Yo Copper...you just figuring out about the wet vest
rock.gif
?......been running one for three years now. What we really need to get is the same thing, except it wraps around the neck, supposed to cool the blood to the head. If I can find one, I'll be really styling this summer. The wet-vest, by any manufacturer, is the sh!d !!!!
super.gif

I had one about 4 years ago and didn't like it. So this will be my second try. So, so good.

BTW, what was the other brand you tried?? Lone on here had one, its a FIELDSHEER

and he says it works VERY well for this Texas heat over here. I've got a track day coming up and I sweat like a ......... well, i sweat ALOT! I could use all the help I can get for this track day!
I've got the Fieldsheer and love it. I put mine in the fridge in a big ziploc until I need it...
cool.gif

Do you wear these like over your gear, under your gear, or is this supposed to be your gear? I don't see how they can protect from falls???
I wear mine over a T shirt and under an armored JR mesh jacket. In the heat, there's nothing better. Stop when it dries out and easily soak it again and go riding. On my tour from CA to CO and back last summer I used it and LOVED it. Can't recall the brand as I'm at work but it cost around $30. Another good thing about it, is that it folds up and stores easily in a large zip lock bag. I soak it in the bathtub and let it hang for a bit and then fold it into a zip lock and pack it. When it gets hot enough to wear, I stop, put it on and ride! Its already wet.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks for the confirm on the FieldSheer Shibumi!

One of the local parts guy at the stealership was tryin to push the new JOE ROCKET SAHARA evaporative vest on me. They go for like $80+. I looked at most of the reviews of it and what it is made of and it looks no different than the fieldsheer and others.

I'll be pickin up the FieldSheer Thursday!

I wear mine over a T shirt and under an armored JR mesh jacket.  In the heat, there's nothing better.  Stop when it dries out and easily soak it again and go riding.  On my tour from CA to CO and back last summer I used it and LOVED it.  Can't recall the brand as I'm at work but it cost around $30.  Another good thing about it, is that it folds up and stores easily in a large zip lock bag.  I soak it in the bathtub and let it hang for a bit and then fold it into a zip lock and pack it.  When it gets hot enough to wear, I stop, put it on and ride!  Its already wet.
thumb_up.gif
Well we still can't edit our posts...so I'll quote mine and add that mine is also a Techniche 'evaporative cooling standard sport vest'. Great product!

Yo Copper...you just figuring out about the wet vest
rock.gif
?......been running one for three years now.  What we really need to get is the same thing, except it wraps around the neck, supposed to cool the blood to the head.  If I can find one, I'll be really styling this summer.  The wet-vest, by any manufacturer, is the sh!d !!!!
super.gif
Yo Spudley...you just figuring out about the neck wraps?
rock.gif
......been running one for 10 years now.

http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

Don't be so cynical next time you post... It might come back on you
laugh.gif

rock.gif

Back