Enjoy wrenching my own bike

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I'm enjoying starting to wrench on my own bike. Much better than dropping off to dealer or mechanic not knowing if they give a crap or not.

I've started working in my track bike to-be, getting to know her by changing my own oil/filter, and last night installing exhaust. Now that I have the right tools (a 36mm socket and a torque wrench) I can finally tighten my own chain and take the wheels off to have the tires changed (Tufbusa is going to tell me the trick to getting the wheels off easily). Next on my list is to change the coolant to water wetter; I should have a set of track plastics in the next two weeks which will be 'interesting'. In the background is my HD Custom Duece and my wife's Beemer.

IMG_0198.jpg

I'd never even tried to wrench on any toys until I bought my Busa...I'm the only one that works on him (minus lowering him and changing tires), so I've learned a lot too...trust myself over the shops any day...

Glad you're enjoying it :thumbsup:

I have a blast wrenching on Bessie - problem is stopping with her and not messing with other people's scoots!

I do 99% at least of the wrenching on all my toys.
As for removing wheels. With stands it's easy. First few times getting everything lined back up and in place by yourself can be a challenge. Esp some front wheels, my freaking harley drives me crazy had the front tire off 3 times this season.

Good stuff indeed. I'll be doing a post-bash oil change and chain cleaning tonight. Keep us updated on the track bike project. :thumbsup:

I been working on my harleys since '71. I love working on my bikes and truck and lawnmower and log splitter and pressure washer...well you get the idea.
As for lining up your tires. I use a piece of 4x4 under the back. Seems my Bull dog lifts the rear tire perfect height to slip a 4x4 under it. So when i go to put it back the holes line up perfect. The front I just jack it up to fit the 4x4 under it too.
Nice bikes by the way. Hang on to that Duece..!
Oh and i just started using the dupont stuff with my ride down to the bash. Works great!

For me, wrenching is part of the fun. I've had 16 motorcycles and I have always done my own wrenching. I take pride in knowing it has been done right.

Back