What kind of torque wrench recommended for home use?

Trash_Panda_44

A Grown Ass Man!
Registered
What kind of torque wrench do you use in your garage?

I try my best not to take the bike to the dealership unless its for something I don't have the tools at home. I'm in the market for a nice all around torque wrench. Its important to me after finishing a job to have the proper torque on certain things like wheels, rotors, forks, etc. I bought one awhile ago off ebay but i have to do all the conversions and I'm lazy. Anyone have any ideas:)

I have a clicker from Harbour freight for large torque sizes and a quality 3/8 Craftsman for the smaller stuff.

Harbor Freight is a great inexpensive source of most garage tools but I think I'd avoid those super cheap chinese torque wrenches?

I use Snapon, although expensive I'd rate all snapon tools among the best available.

You'll need two torque wrenches, one half inch drive for the wheels etc and one 3/8 drive for the smaller stuff. Most come with both NM and inch pounds on the 3/8 drive - NM and ft pounds on the 1/2 inch drive.

Any torque wrench regardless of the quality is better than no torque wrench.

Craftsman seems to have adequate quality for home garage use. They go on sale for 79 dollars at times.

Some simple rules to keep your wrenches in calibration. Run wrench down to its lowest setting before storage and do not turn below the lowest setting. Also, try to have your hand centered on the handle and be pulling at 90 degrees to the wrench when torque is reached. Torque slowly and don't jerk on the wrench. Avoid the electronic wrenches if possible cause they need periodic calibration to remain accurate.

I own an old beam-type Craftsman torque wrench from the days before the click type. This is basically ok if it's all you've got, but that's not saying much.

I own both a 3/8" and a 1/2" click type from Harbor Freight. These agree well with each other. Then I took them down to my aircraft mechanic's shop and compared them to his calibrated wrenches. The Harbor Freights were dead on with his.

Really want to get a 1/4" click type torque wrench, mostly for working on bicycles.

HF has some cheap ones. I have a HF and a couple Craftsman.

adding to the calibration tips......Dont use the torque wrench to loosen bolts

Harbor Freight is a great inexpensive source of most garage tools but I think I'd avoid those super cheap chinese torque wrenches?

I use Snapon, although expensive I'd rate all snapon tools among the best available.

You'll need two torque wrenches, one half inch drive for the wheels etc and one 3/8 drive for the smaller stuff. Most come with both NM and inch pounds on the 3/8 drive - NM and ft pounds on the 1/2 inch drive.

Any torque wrench regardless of the quality is better than no torque wrench.

Very good info- thank u

Try Napa, some of their stores have a machine to calibrate torque wrenches.

Did not know that- your info is appreciated:)

Craftsman seems to have adequate quality for home garage use. They go on sale for 79 dollars at times.

Some simple rules to keep your wrenches in calibration. Run wrench down to its lowest setting before storage and do not turn below the lowest setting. Also, try to have your hand centered on the handle and be pulling at 90 degrees to the wrench when torque is reached. Torque slowly and don't jerk on the wrench. Avoid the electronic wrenches if possible cause they need periodic calibration to remain accurate.

Sounds almost the same my aircraft instructor- word for word! Awesome- thanks for the tips!

I own an old beam-type Craftsman torque wrench from the days before the click type. This is basically ok if it's all you've got, but that's not saying much.

I own both a 3/8" and a 1/2" click type from Harbor Freight. These agree well with each other. Then I took them down to my aircraft mechanic's shop and compared them to his calibrated wrenches. The Harbor Freights were dead on with his.

Really want to get a 1/4" click type torque wrench, mostly for working on bicycles.

I wish I could take them to the PMEL (Precision Measurement Equip Lab) here on base but don't think they will calibrate my own personal torque wrench-lol!

HF has some cheap ones. I have a HF and a couple Craftsman.

adding to the calibration tips......Dont use the torque wrench to loosen bolts

Werd- copy on the DO NOT LOOSEN WITH TORQUE WRENCH

Thanks everyone for your inputs- I appreciate it:)

I use snap on digital half and 3/8.
But for average wrenching a craftsman would be fantastic.

Craftsman. Sears is really hurting right now, you can score a really good buy if you try. I love Craftsman tools.

Same crap as Home Depot and Lowes etc, just without the price :laugh:

For me, all i use the clicker for is stuff like the axle nut, where +/- a few Lbs is not gonna hurt. I have a decent craftsman for stuff that needs to be accurate.

Stay away from Harbor Freight on this one.My very !st torque wrench was a HF special and I had the rod bearing caps on a small block Chevy loosen up and come undone through the oil pan messing up the bore of the block and the crank. Had the brand new torque wrench checked out and it was almost 15 ft lbs too low. I was a new auto tech starting out and tried to save some money but it cost me a heck of a lot more in the long run. I swore I'd never buy one single tool again from HF. Don't skimp here. Buy a good quality one off a tool truck with a warranty. It will probably run a little over two hundred buck but the price of failure is even more.

I just bought a Brownline digital torque wrench a little while ago, they offered a special for $99 shipped with a case. I like it.

I just bought a Brownline digital torque wrench a little while ago, they offered a special for $99 shipped with a case. I like it.

Seconded, but the torque won't go low enough for everything. I have this and a small Craftsman clicker 3/8" for the non-motorized bikes and smaller bolts.

i use the HF ones...but honestly its just for non engine work...so not that worried

I have a husky 1/2" i picked up from a company i worked for a few years ago that has been great, have a cheap hf one as well that i use on "needs to be pretty close" and then a craftsman 3/8" inlbs. I take them to work every other month to have them calibrated with my big expensive ones at work, the harbor freight and husky have always been dead nuts believe it or not, the craftsman i am on my third, one the calibration was way outta wack right outta the box and the second one the plastic handle shattered in my hand while torquing some billet goodies. My dad has an old sears one we're talking around real early 80's and that one checks out dead on the money as well.

If i do anything critical, like internal engine work, injectors on the truck etc i bring one of my snap on or protos home

Back