Working on my own bike

I'm with the rest of the bunch, I only torque critical things, that could do serious damage or cause me bodily harm if they failed. Everything else get's the elbow.

beerchug.gif

after 25 years of working on cars, the only time I used torque wrenches was on pinion bearing preloads...

Most guys with years and years of experience gain the 'touch' you know when its it right.. You also gain the ability to use your 1/2 impact and land within a couple ft lbs of spec...

when was the last time you ran a set of headbolts.... 20/50/80?
rofl.gif
and you used the "pattern" on the mitchell book?

never make 10 cents if you could not fly by the seat of your pants...

Thanks for the opinions guys, it sounds like I'm right in the middle of ya'all. And Professor, I love your description of torsion arms, we've all tried to unloosen a critical nut or bolt that was last secured by the Terminator! Raydog

Many years ago, we were tearing up some very expensive parts on sprint cars due to failure of torsion arms. Talking to the manufacturer it appeared, the parts that were failing were doing so because of over-tightening the bolts. I got 3 of the crew together and had each tighten a couple of bolts. I went back and checked to see how much torque it took to remove each. I then went back and tightened them correctly with the torque wrench. Then checked to see how much it took to remove them.

It was amazing and opened quite a few eyes. We stopped having failures of torsion arms"¦ at least unexplained ones anyhow. It still hurts me to think about one occasion when we tore up a chassis. 10k in parts that could have been prevented.

I don't use a torque wrench on everything by any means. I likely use it more than most and on all critical things. I also use it every once in a while to make sure the "click in my wrist"￾ is still close to calibration.
You said it a lot better than I did Professor
I still use the wrench where needed and for safety, but the "elbow" does a lot of it from memory.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif

clap.gif

bowdown.gif

Two things, Obviously your a little dizzy right now and are "you" normal  
whistling.gif
 Just because someone is out of control doesn't mean their a fool  
rofl.gif

Everything else is good although I do seem to remember some nice shiny aftermarket foot rest part coming loose
rock.gif
, I still trust you.
I do like to measure things like spark plugs,drain plugs and I do mark things for visual inspection and assembly, helps me know things are where they should be. I don't think a torque wrench is necessary on everything, only on things you feel it is, if you know what your doing. Now hurry up with the Frankensteining of your bike please.
My feelings exactly! You've had what? 60+ bikes? And you're still around to ask a question like that? Wrench on!

Raydog....The problem is you're left handed and I'll bet you don't own a left handed torque wrench, do you?

I use the torque wrench for nearly everything. I haven't stripped a bolt in years, even without the torque wrench (knock on wood) but I still use the torque wrench for most things.

I don't torque the little screws. Just carefully tighten them on. If you ever see my plastics go flyin', however, you'll know I should have found out what the torque spec was. What is it, anyway?!
laugh.gif

--Wag--

I'm ashamed of myself, the ONLY thing I twist on my bike, is the throttle, and the cap to put air in the tires every couple of rides.
bowdown.gif

I have a torque wrench sitting in my box and the service manual next to that. Either only come out for internal motor work, or moving parts i.e. swing arm pivot point, front sprocket nut, or axle nuts (72 foot lb) but for the most part GFT is the primary torque gauge that I use. When I work on others bikes I will ask them if they know the torque specs for certain things if they do I will use it if not GFT is applied to the above mentioned (excluding the internal motor thing)
beerchug.gif

If you can't find the exact torque spec for a bolt, isn't there a way to determine what it is based on markings on the bolt head or by the size of the bolt?

--Wag--

Back