Electronically tinting shield for helmets, cool.

Sixpack is right about the photocramtic only being offered by Akuma and Bell. As a matter of fact, Akuma is not doing them anymore for some unknown reason. I have had mine for over 2 years now and wear it on a daily basis. The shield does NOT change to dark when headlights hit it. Also, it changes from light to dark and dark to light in a very short time. By very short I mean usually in under 30 seconds or so.

I bought the Akuma Phantom II because of the weight and the feature of this shield. I wear it early in the morning on the way to work when there is no sun and then on the way home when the sun is high and bright. The shield adjusts automatically and there is no need for changing visors.

As for the electronic one, I see this as being something that is useful in a couple more product generations. I think the current one is too bulky and does not cover enough of the visor. I would be interested in something like this for my wife when she is wearing her pink Icon helmet.

The photocramtic shields that are out now are much better than they used to be. They do not have the problems that Card16969 is describing.

Sixpack is right about the photocramtic only being offered by Akuma and Bell. As a matter of fact, Akuma is not doing them anymore for some unknown reason. I have had mine for over 2 years now and wear it on a daily basis. The shield does NOT change to dark when headlights hit it. Also, it changes from light to dark and dark to light in a very short time. By very short I mean usually in under 30 seconds or so.

I bought the Akuma Phantom II because of the weight and the feature of this shield. I wear it early in the morning on the way to work when there is no sun and then on the way home when the sun is high and bright. The shield adjusts automatically and there is no need for changing visors.

As for the electronic one, I see this as being something that is useful in a couple more product generations. I think the current one is too bulky and does not cover enough of the visor. I would be interested in something like this for my wife when she is wearing her pink Icon helmet.

The photocramtic shields that are out now are much better than they used to be. They do not have the problems that Card16969 is describing.

sounds like you remember the older generations that sucked horribly and to me 30 seconds to go from light to dark is forever when riding lol

The Bell Star changes in about 3 to 5 seconds(almost instantly).
I had no idea the Akumu took so long.:beerchug:

I wear sunglasses under my helmet........when it gets dark I take them off. A lot simpler and cheaper than this electronic wallet cleaner :laugh:

I wear sunglasses under my helmet........when it gets dark I take them off. A lot simpler and cheaper than this electronic wallet cleaner :laugh:

I tried that, and with several helmets.
Any movement caused them to bounce or vibrate...no good for me.:beerchug:

i have a bell vortex that i hate, its loud and honestly the 2x physically is HUGE on the outside about 2" wider than my dads 3xl scorpion ... its tight for about 4 or 5 days of riding then it gets really loose and the xl is so tight that it gives me migraines.

My star helmet is LOUD, sounds like a tornado in my head.

I tried that, and with several helmets.
Any movement caused them to bounce or vibrate...no good for me.:beerchug:

I wear sunglasses with my transition.. I like it dark dark dark, my eyes are sensitive! heh, but sometimes they can pinch and cause headaches, gotta get the right glasses.

My star helmet is LOUD, sounds like a tornado in my head.

I wear sunglasses with my transition.. I like it dark dark dark, my eyes are sensitive! heh, but sometimes they can pinch and cause headaches, gotta get the right glasses.

No kidding! My Star is LOUD too!
I didn't really notice it for the first couple weeks, but tornando is a great description.
I wear earplugs and it really helps, but it's a noisy helmet.
I like everything else about it though, aside from it not being as light as I'de hoped.:beerchug:

No kidding! My Star is LOUD too!
I didn't really notice it for the first couple weeks, but tornando is a great description.
I wear earplugs and it really helps, but it's a noisy helmet.
I like everything else about it though, aside from it not being as light as I'de hoped.:beerchug:

my bell star is bulky over an inch wider than the icon alliance helmet i just received from justin, also its 7.8oz heavier than the icon

Both very cool options for a very annoying and possibly hazardous problem when riding. :thumbsup:

I have a flip down visor on my lid so I have a solution that works for me :thumbsup:

sounds like you remember the older generations that sucked horribly and to me 30 seconds to go from light to dark is forever when riding lol

There is no way my Akuma visor takes 30 seconds to change the tint shade. Let me give you an example. When leaving work to ride home, I walk out the door and set my helmet on the ground next to the bike within about 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds the visor has gone from clear to very dark and I ride off with it.

Once again, not sure where you are getting your times from on tinting on the Bell and Akuma visors, but they are inaccurate.

As for the original topic, I think the electronic visor needs another revision or two and then I will get one for my wife. Maybe then I could pick up a nice Nexx X1R1 Carbon like my brother has and have tinting visor on it.

There is no way my Akuma visor takes 30 seconds to change the tint shade. Let me give you an example. When leaving work to ride home, I walk out the door and set my helmet on the ground next to the bike within about 10 seconds. During this 10 seconds the visor has gone from clear to very dark and I ride off with it.

Once again, not sure where you are getting your times from on tinting on the Bell and Akuma visors, but they are inaccurate.

As for the original topic, I think the electronic visor needs another revision or two and then I will get one for my wife. Maybe then I could pick up a nice Nexx X1R1 Carbon like my brother has and have tinting visor on it.

scroll up your the one who said 30 seconds i was going off of what you said

Back