Electronically tinting shield for helmets, cool.

I have a photocramtic sheild for my Bell Star helmet(like transitions lenses for eye glasses).
It works excellent and is around $130.
I think Bell and Akumu are the only 2 companies offering these sheilds currently.
Once you have one sheild that you never change no matter how dark or bright it is outside you'll never use anything else!
That product above is a great idea, but I can't belive that more helmet companies don't offer transitions sheilds.:beerchug:

the downside to those is when someone has bright headlights at night sometimes you wind up with a tinted screen

The Bell sheild I have tints light to dark and vice versa incredilbly fast, and any where in between.
I never have any issues with glare day or night.:beerchug:
(I know you're reffering to the product above too)

So I guess its reading the UV content? Damn for a buck fifty ya think they would have engineered them with some sort of UV detector or even a time delay to prevent this? :dunno:

im not sure about the electronic one i was referring to the photochromic shields that karnage was referring to that act like the eye glasses do. downside to those is they get hit by light they darken up and take forever to untint

The Bell sheild I have tints light to dark and vice versa incredilbly fast, and any where in between.
I never have any issues with glare day or night.:beerchug:
(I know you're reffering to the product above too)

i havnt tried the bell but last i read it was by far the best on the market i havnt had one in a few years and it was slow as molasses when it came to changing tint

im not sure about the electronic one i was referring to the photochromic shields that karnage was referring to that act like the eye glasses do. downside to those is they get hit by light they darken up and take forever to untint

Mine doesn't. I've had it for about nine months with lots of night riding.
It adjusts to any amount of light almost instanly, and I have no trouble with headlight glare.
My sheild will be crystal clear inside and as soon as I step out into the sun it's black(the oppsosite is true too). There is no wait for it to adjust to the surroundings. Headlights appear much less bright at night, all the while the veiw through the sheild remains clear.
It has never once been even close to like riding with a tinted sheild at night. It stays clear.

The sheild is almost impossible to fog too. The only time there is even the slightest amount of fog on the sheild is at night with extremely high humidity, and it's inside. Then and only then a dim glow or auora can be seen around an oncoming headlight, but it is in no way bright or blinding.
I love this sheild and would never go back.:beerchug:

It adjusts to any amount of light almost instanly, and I have no trouble with headlight glare.
My sheild will be crystal clear inside and as soon as I step out into the sun it's black(the oppsosite is true too). There is no wait for it to adjust to the surroundings. Headlights appear much less bright at night, all the while the veiw through the sheild remains clear.
It has never once been even close to like riding with a tinted sheild at night. It stays clear.

The sheild is almost impossible to fog too. The only time there is even the slightest amount of fog on the sheild is at night with extremely high humidity, and it's inside. Then and only then a dim glow or auora can be seen around an oncoming headlight, but it is in no way bright or blinding.

Do they make that shield for Shoeis? :)

thats awesome too bad im going away from my bell vortex to an icon or i would buy a new screen

We have to start a petition for Shoei to make one lol ...the auto's are still too light for my taste I like the DARK look.

I love mine also. It's the most optically neutral / correct shield I've ever looked through. zero distortion. Great product.

At first I thought this was a pretty cool idea but when you compare it with the Bell Transitions shield (About $10 bucks less) and the fact that it doesn't cover the entire viewing surface, the Bell Transitions wins! After hearing how well the Transitions shield works I wish I had bought one instead of the dark smoke shield.

Do they make that shield for Shoeis? :)

DR1300 has one. Its awsome. I wrote Shoei and asked them myself. Here is the question and reply.

Me: First of all, let me make it known that I am a loyal Shoei customer. My last three helmets were the RF-900, RF-1000 and currently wear the RF-1100. I am wondering if Shoie is going to come out with a comparable replacement visor to Bell's "Transitions Photochromatic Shield"? My friend runs the Bell helmet with the transitions shield. I'm here to tell you, its a game changer. It would work perfect for my commuting needs (3rd shifter). I'm due for a new helmet and would love to hear that Shoie is coming out with a comparable product. If not, Bell have really stepped up the quality of the helmets and the visor makes it a no brainer for me. Please tell me I can stay with the Shoie helmets.

Them: We have been working on one for quite some time, but I do not know when or if it will be released.
Don Bailey
Customer Service Rep.
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

They didnt sound real concerned about keeping me as a customer. If the Bells graphics were better (they suck) I would have one by now. The shield is that good.

doesnt seem to get dark enough for me. I have the transitions lens and it gets very dark when the sun is out.

DR1300 has one. Its awsome. I wrote Shoei and asked them myself. Here is the question and reply.

Me: First of all, let me make it known that I am a loyal Shoei customer. My last three helmets were the RF-900, RF-1000 and currently wear the RF-1100. I am wondering if Shoie is going to come out with a comparable replacement visor to Bell's "Transitions Photochromatic Shield"? My friend runs the Bell helmet with the transitions shield. I'm here to tell you, its a game changer. It would work perfect for my commuting needs (3rd shifter). I'm due for a new helmet and would love to hear that Shoie is coming out with a comparable product. If not, Bell have really stepped up the quality of the helmets and the visor makes it a no brainer for me. Please tell me I can stay with the Shoie helmets.

Them: We have been working on one for quite some time, but I do not know when or if it will be released.
Don Bailey
Customer Service Rep.
Shoei Safety Helmet Corp.

They didnt sound real concerned about keeping me as a customer. If the Bells graphics were better (they suck) I would have one by now. The shield is that good.

i have a bell vortex that i hate, its loud and honestly the 2x physically is HUGE on the outside about 2" wider than my dads 3xl scorpion ... its tight for about 4 or 5 days of riding then it gets really loose and the xl is so tight that it gives me migraines.

Back