Ducati Monster 750...

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
i've ran across a 2001 ducati monster 750 with about 3000 miles on it for around $3000..

it's a little light on the power side of things at a whopping 65 horsepower..

but hell it's a ducati, and plus it would make a nice change of pace bike to ride.

I figure i could pick it up and then if I was truly bored with it I can slap it on ebay and atleast get my money back.. if not make a little.

never ridden a duc.. but I'll admit I like the way it looks.. and it is a ducati afterall.

I first thought hell.. that'd be great to go play at the track with.. but 65 hp ain't exactly gonna burn up the road.. especially with a 400pnd wet weight.

When I bought my SV650 I was debating between that and the Ducati.
I went with the SV cause it was cheaper. But a Ducati for 3k... I would definitely take it
cool.gif

Yeah I rode with one the other weekend and I wasn't into the whole design of the bike at all. Even the 999 wasn't impressive to me.

Not to mention, insanely expensive to maintain.

Tuneups tend to run about $600 or higher, primarily because of the fragility of their desmo-whosit valve systems.

not interested in a SV.. hehe I'll admit it.. I want a duc just cuz it's a duc..

the power is very close.. for the 01 models anyway.. duc 62 rated, and the sv was at 68..

for 6 horsepower.. and actually having less money in it.. the duc wins hands down..

maintenence.. yep, thats a #####.. but not as bad as what your thinking.. for the 4 valve it's a little higher.. but this is the 2 valve model.. so about 250 for valve adjustments.. every 6,000 mi.. I can handle that.. hell I buy tires for the 'busa every 5,000 at that cost is about the same.. not to mention i buy a new rear tire every 2,000-2,500 so whoppidy doo.. ya know? haha

nobody said motorcycles were convienant, or economical.... well the kind of motorcycles that aren't just boring anyway.

I'm going to look it over tomorrow.. unless something is drasticly different about it in person as opposed to owner discription I may well be postin' pics in a few days.

oh it is the dark version.. that does drop the value a tad.. but.... if your gonna have a duc it better be red.. or black.

I would get one... the Bike Magazine UK has given some pretty good reviews about it!
biggrin.gif

If its in good shape go ahead bro...

more than likely i'll be posting pics monday/tuesday.

went and looked, poked, prodded the bike today. it could stand a good waxing/cleanup but it's virtually 100% stock. Even has the reflectors on it.. haha.

guy was happy I knew what a ducati was too.. "i'd much rather sell it to somebody that knows what it is as some of these people thats been showing up"

hehe, he was talking about some dude rolled up on a harley and started asking about it.. dude thought it was a buell... a buell "ducati" with the 883 motor in it... i have no idea other than to say .. "yep.. i gots me a harley."

another 19yo newb rider wanted to know who it was made by cause he couldn't find the manufacturer on it... well other than it saying "ducati" on the tank.. I can see how it was confusing for him.

another called him and asked if ducati was one of those knock off companies like made those little bitty crotch rocket things..

unbelievable... I must say it didn't suprise me too much. Thats part of the reason he can't get a decent offer on it I think... in my area (50 sq. miles for example) there are maybe 30 sport bikers.. and 90% of those are squids that wouldn't know a ducati from a vespa.

guy is the original owner.. same old story.. not enough time to ride.. remodelling house ect.

nice guy.. actually sold him a truck a few years ago. He was an easy guy to deal with so I'm not even gonna try to get the price down.. it's cheap enough anyways i'm basically buying it wholesale for what I've seen em' going for. he didn't rake me over the coals when he bought his truck so why should I argue with him about the price he wants?

it's the dark edition.. which does drop the value a few hundred bucks.. but actually makes it worth more in my opinion.

the flat black is awesome.. absoloutly cool, stealthy..

will be my first black bike also.

assuming my mind doesn't change I will have a major dilemma on my hands.. supposed to go to VIR for a track day.. which bike to take?

the idea of thrashing my 10,000$+ busa.. while appealing.. sorta scares hell out of me too.. haha

while the less powerful, much cheaper bike probably means I'd actually have more fun cuz I wouldn't be nearly as worried about a get off..

ehhhh... decisions, decisions..

oh well... this next phrase will help ease the pain..

i'm gonna have a duc!

albeit a cheaper one

The Duc Monster is my absolute favorite naked bike. Never rode one... Just going on looks/styling though... Only negative I've really heard about owning a Duc is the maintainance costs if you don't do your own work. That might not be an issue for some of you fuggers with real, nice paying jobs though.
blush.gif

yeah the maintence thing kinda scares me too..

seems like the big thing is the valve adjustments every 6000 miles.. and will run about 250-400$ depending what needs to be done, and where you take it.

i've always liked the looks of them.. just never considered buying one due to the costs vs. jap bikes.. $8,000 for a new one.. or $5,000 for a sv..

ehh.. right now everything is a go. just gotta get the money stuff lined out. I started to pay all of it and skip financing it to avoid the full coverage.. but full coverage is only about 115$ more than i'm already paying so whoopie do..

yeah the maintence thing kinda scares me too..

seems like the big thing is the valve adjustments every 6000 miles.. and will run about 250-400$ depending what needs to be done, and where you take it.

i've always liked the looks of them.. just never considered buying one due to the costs vs. jap bikes.. $8,000 for a new one.. or $5,000 for a sv..

ehh.. right now everything is a go. just gotta get the money stuff lined out. I started to pay all of it and skip financing it to avoid the full coverage.. but full coverage is only about 115$ more than i'm already paying so whoopie do..
Well, at those prices for service I'd have to get a shop manual and do the valves myself. I'd still get a Monster if I ran across a deal and could afford it. Now, hurry up and get the thing home... and POST PICS!!!
biggrin.gif

Check out a Ducati 900SS or SP OR a Monster with a 900 motor. I have an '03 Busa and I bought a 96 Ducati 900SP as a bike for twisty roads and I love it.

The 750 will leave you wanting more power as soon as the novelty of owning it wears off. Another naked bike that is a blast is the Triumph Speed Triple and they are affordable too.

Everyone I know that has bought a 750 Duc wishes that they had spent a bit more and got a 900

Kent

Dude, I dunno what yer waitin' for. The Monster's a blast, and for 3k if its clean get all over it asap! If it were your only cycle I'd say no but you got the Busa to fall back on.

Everyone I know that has bought a 750 Duc wishes that they had spent a bit more and got a 900

Kent
i'm a little worried about that too..

from what i've read from real riders the 62rwhp stated on the specs if a little optimistic.. more like 55+
In a perfect world this would be a new triumph speed triple for $4000 heheheh.

I've never rode a monster so I don't have much to fall back on.. the guy offered to let me ride it the other day when i looked at it but lack of helmet.. and not having my pass completely punched by the wife slowed me down. If I offered to let somebody ride mine I would appreciate them being dead serious about buying it so I thought I would wait until I could say.

"Yes, if this bike pleases me I will be taking it home.. now please hold my money in case I do something stupid, or somebody does something stupid to me."

I've looked at the 900's.. and yes that would be my first pick also.. or the s4.. just more money. I figure at worst I can buy this one, register/title it put a fly screen on it and then if I'm not happy It'll be on here, and ebay.

gotta remember that duc's are pretty rare birds around my area to begin with.. thats why the price is lower than it should be anyways... Thats half the reason I even read the ad in the paper.. DUCATI.. WTF?? who's got a ducati in my neck of the woods?

I'm assuming he hasn't discovered the internet yet.. but thats beside the point.

RE:Maintenence.. I actually read up on what one needs to do to adjust these valves themselves.. sounds like $100 worth of tools and alot of time, patience, and finding the right size shims.

Anyway.. long story short. I asked the guy to give me till monday afternoon to tell him a definate yes, but for the most part he could consider it sold.. offered him a deposit.. non-refundable if I decided not to and he said not to worry about it. He would give me a few days to get my stuff together.

Dude, I dunno what yer waitin' for. The Monster's a blast, and for 3k if its clean get all over it asap! If it were your only cycle I'd say no but you got the Busa to fall back on.
yep.. as ready as I am to trade I can't find anything more interesting that the 'busa.. and I've tried.. hehe I've really tried to find something to trade too.

Back