Donating Member
Registered
Researching the Ducati lineup

I like this...

monster (dark)
84129826_1.jpg

But I REALLY LIKE THIS...

76715395_1.jpg

Anybody with Ducati experence want to enlighten me a bit.

Would the average joe rider even be able to tell what he is riding/is it strickly for the track guys or...is it an OMG thing anyone would realize??

Of course, there goes my "buy a beater" idea...

<!--EDIT|Justyntym
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151978136 -->

I would get a Suzuki GSXR-750 instead...Or a Triumph Daytona 675.

Ducati is poor value for money, expensive to run and maintain. Parts are pricey and service is also pricey...

Unless you are doing really well...or are seriously a hardcore Duc fan...stay away.

Ducs get into your life and you will become an avid member. Like the Harley, it's a way of life ! Now for the Bikes, they are meant to handle, and NO the 749 will not beat a GSXR 600 or the Kawis 600 on 0 to whatever. But it will out handle any of them, and "OH" the sound and feel
tounge.gif
. You just have to live it to believe it. Sorta like the Busa's Power ! You'll be amazed how flickable it is, and the WOMEN will  
drooling3.gif
over you and the bike
laugh.gif
(just a free option with Italian Bikes) !!! I recommend you go and ride one, but just don't forget to bring you Credit App or Check with ya, cause if you don't it's all you'll think about until you get one
cool.gif

if you don't know what you are getting into? don't just mess with it...theres nothing like a busa or the gixxers...money wise, maintenace wise, technically...anything you can think of...and not many owners happy about it.
It is unique and all that...but will you spend 2~3 times more for just that? in reality, nobody does...

I look at it like this, if you want to ride, you buy a Japanese sportbike. From a reliability, affordability, and performance viewpoint they really cannot be beat.

But if you gotta have that image, or you just want to pose and have something refreshingly different go ahead and get a Ducati...

But I gotta warn you.

Ducatis are just a hair more "Gay" than BMW's and Aprillia's.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously though, I'd also give the Triumph 675 a serious look. It's a fuggin sweet bike.

Nothing wrong with Ducati, but for the $$$ its just not much of a value. Do this, call the local Ducati shop and tell them you knocked over your Buddies 749 and give a few parts to chew on... Get a quote and then ask em' abotu how long until those parts are in...
smile.gif

More than anything else including my BS, the parts availability, expense, and dealer network are why I would avoid the Duc, UNLESS you just GOTTA have the look.

Besides Bro, the Ducati owners I have spoken to? They were all gay posers, barely new how to ride their "looky here I'm trying to look cool" bikes. Seriously, Gay.... Posers.... I mean not a big deal if that's what you're into...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OK OK I'm just fuggin with ya... They look neat, but $$$ wise Gixer 750, $$$ and different Triumph 675.
thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Be prepared for ridiculous maintenance bills. I was set to buy a Ducati, then went for the Suzuki, as I just couldn't believe the maintenance costs the dealer was quoting me.

i have a friend who ordered up a special edition MH900E ducati...back around '01'ish...it cost him $22,000 up front...then he waited almost 22 months to take delivery....and then bragged about it for the next 3 months....he started a Mike Hailwood Duc website...promoting himself for rag interviews...and 3 months later?...with a whopping 1,700 miles on the odo?...a rod got slammed through the bottom of the case...just tooling around and ducati tried to claim he "over-revved it"...it then took him well over 6 months and a pro mech. witness to verify that the bike had not been over-revved and that the cap nuts where never properly torqued at assembly...to get his money back....he doesn't like to talk much about that these days...and he's a hot shot lawyer for a large ins. co.

imagine that...cause it's true and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151990526 -->

Thats one Sexy looking bike . How much OTD ? If you have the big bucks then do it . There was a dealer about 2 miles from where I stay and occasionally I would stop in to look but for the price of a 999r you could buy 3 Busas. Or buy one busa and dump 10 grand in it and still have money in the bank.

Thats one Sexy looking bike . How much OTD ? If you have the big bucks then do it . There was a dealer about 2 miles from where I stay and occasionally I would stop in to look but for the price of a 999r you could buy 3 Busas. Or buy one busa and dump 10 grand in it and still have money in the bank.
I been pecking around cycletrader, a NEW one is around 12,500....that's not that bad.

Heck, I think it's not any worse than a Harley. Spend $17000 on a fatboy, then douse it in $4000 worth of chrome and goodies...at least the Duc will haul ass and handle...

Well at least the Harley dealer is local. If I did get one it would be a waste, all the loooong straight flat roads in central Fl...I already got huge embarrassing chicken strips on the busa tires. The biggest turn around here to take is the one out my side door just to get on the Busa....

+1 on all of the comments about value for the money and the sky high maintanence $$$. Sure it's different, but are you willing to pay an arm, leg and your first born?? By the way, no ownership experience, but around the corner, a former neighbor of mine, Sam, had one. A typical 749... We swapped and road around the block just a bit. And right off the bat, the ergonomics was a disappointment. That area where the back of the gas tank meets the front of the the seat, it's SO pointy... It would be uncomfortable for any male rider to seriously ride, at least for me. Plus, can you imagine if you had to do a emergency brake or drastic slow down? You better be wearing some cups, otherwise, it's no more kids for you, or at least no "intimate riding" for at least a week.

The lack of ergo only validates that most Italy bikes are almost strictly Form instead of Function (and in this case, Value). Like having a georgous, sexy, model for a girlfriend or wife, all looks and that's it, might not even be good in more "intimate" arenas. Get what I mean?

If I had the money I'd buy a Ducati and put it in my living room - next to an MV Agusta - just so I could look at them....

I can't fit on/afford them, but they look awesome.

If you've got plenty of money go for it, otherwise get a poster and put it on the garage wall, or a background image on your computer desktop, much cheaper.

There's nothing practical about them. They're like a high-maintenance girlfriend, but if you're in love, it's not going to matter what I say.

Post up some pics if you take the plunge.
smile.gif

my two cents....ducs are very great rideing bikes...but no "real" speed the sound is great the torque is great...but have to fix it.....if you think the busa was a money pit...save yourself...unless you are independently wealthy...and can "afford" the style and image...get somethig that is reliable and easy to fix and dealers willing to help ...(my local dealer , who became a dealer after i bought my duc, refuses to fix, carry, or order parts for anything more than 3 years old)

Do a search on the web. Several good sites. The cost of keeping one in top running condition is staggering to say the least.

Other posts are right on! Expensive..just like the Ferrari.

hogger...

749's suck. buddy of mine had 1. he was convinced he could beat me on my '02 R6... needless to say, i layed the smack down on him.
cool.gif

check out the honda rc51 if you're looking for a v-twin race bike at a lower price range. if money's not an issue...duc

But I gotta warn you.

Ducatis are just a hair more "Gay" than BMW's and Aprillia's.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Hey - The Movie TORQUE was full of Aprillia's, and you seen how they performed in the movie...so your Wrong Rev...cause those bikes could jump on top of moving trains, be used as dual purpose dirt bikes, and accelerate quicker than a Top Fuel rail car....bahaaa

Anyhow, why pisss around with a Duc...the designer/ super-hero that made the Duc's so special jumped ship and went to MV. If your looking for beauty and sound, get the MV...just as spendy if not more & less issues than the Duc's.

There's a saying about the 749's - If you have to ask about reliability, than the 749 is not for you - seiously.

The RC51 is an awesome Twin for the cash, and lots of go-fast affordable parts per aftermarket, and you can get them serviced anywhere if tuning, and wrenching is not your thing.

Also, if you have not ridden a Duc before, the phrase "The Rack" or "The Torture Chamber" means nothing to you - until you ride one for about an hour. The 749, and 999 in my opinion do not belong on the street, they are a great track bike, and dont really shine on the street...but ohhh, the track is a different story, but seriously...are you going to ride your new 749/999 on the street at the 90%+ limits?

And lets talk about resale value. Funny how the price of the Duc's drop way off when the miles reach 15,000 miles. I mean they really drop in price, because this is where lots of cash gets spent doing the Factory Recomended Service's.

Ok, enough bashing - Th Duc is a thing of beauty, heck a work of art...naaa...I will save the term "Art" for the MV. Take one out, ride it around, and than jump on a GSXR 750. Personally, I want a 916 or 996 for a collectors bike, but not for an everyday reliable rider. Anyhow, if I had the disposable cash the MV would come home first, than the Duc....but everyone has their opinion of what Bologna tastes better
smile.gif

laugh.gif

Interesting comversation on this topic
rock.gif
! Lots of Ducs cost this and that, when our other threads talk about how much $$$$$ we spend on our Busa's
laugh.gif
. 5 Grand for a turbo, tails, paint, rear sets, exhaust, helibars, lights and on and on. Amounting to THOUSANDS !
If you want a Duc then buy one, just make sure that if you buy a superbike model you don't plan on doing any cross country travel on it. YOUR BODY WILL HATE
mad.gif
 YOU if you try that
blush.gif

I owned an '01 Monster for 3-1/2 years, and no problems at all with reliability. Was going to trade up to the 749 or 749S, but the Duc dealer wouldn't give me what Suzuki would on the 'Busa. Of course, the Monster was air-cooled, 2 valves per cylinder; the 749 Dark that you're looking at is water-cooled and 4 valves per cylinder. 6,000 mile service (I think it's up to 7,500 now) was about $450 to check the desmo (mechanical) valves. They're great bikes, but if you want performance, you should go with the 600 or 750 Gixxer, or Kawi 6R or 6RR. If you want exclusivity, then the Duc's the bike.

Duc.jpg

PS My Monster was uncomfortable to ride for more than about an hour; the seat is styled for looks--not comfort, and the V-Twin motor shakes you quite a bit, leading to fatigue in the arms and shoulders. The Busa is infinitely more comfortable.

Back