do you really need to drag your knee?

My question came from correcting my stance and finding the bike to turn FAR EASIER. I don't have the need to touch down. I just wanted to know it you really needed to. But when I bought the bike I asked myself "wow, do you really need 11k rpms?" Well I answered that shortly...

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
1. If you have a wife and kids or family that cares about you then don't.

2. Racetracks have runoff areas, grass and tire walls in case you make a mistake. Public roadways have armco, ditches, trees, gravel/sand, oil, potholes and oncoming cars and trucks.....see point #1.

*If you're not already doing this:*

How much leg are you using? Next time you hit the corners, try push down on the corresponding foot peg for that corner. And obviously push on the opposite side of the tank with your thigh. After a day of corners, your thighs and calves should be worn OUT.

Head to the mirror.
Push on the right foot peg coming into a right corner.
Push your left thigh on the tank to push the big Busa over.
Accelerate out, now pushing the LEFT foot peg to help straighten the bike up.

And to the original question, the roads where I live are too dirty with oil, gravel, or potholes for me to feel comfortable hitting deep lean angles.

Last edited:
Personally, I dont push my bike to the limits because I know it will do more than I am capable of. However, with a knee down, your bike will be at less a lean angle than without. I have also scraped hard parts and drug plastics by mistake. Do you have to get a knee down? No, but its like a drug, its fun and feels great. Check out the video, thanks again Bluehaya, I love it. The first bike through is me and Juli, the second bike is Shane and Marie. I am just cruising in 3rd gear and not running full out. Getting a knee down is about being smooth and consistent. We had folks at each end of the curve so we had control of the situation, before anyone flames me. And now that I have gotten my knee down, the next track day will be a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, 90% of riders don't need to drag their knees wherever they are.
And since I've never done it I suppose this post in meaningless but I'm pretty sure the only functional reason your knee ever purposely touches the ground is to gauge how far over your leaning.

What ... Busa's cant go around a corner !!!! :thumbsup:

RRR102609242.jpg

IMO, 90% of riders don't need to drag their knees wherever they are.
And since I've never done it I suppose this post in meaningless but I'm pretty sure the only functional reason your knee ever purposely touches the ground is to gauge how far over your leaning.

:rofl:If you can't guage how far over you're leaning without a knee down or out, you're dangerous. It doesn't have to be down every curve, although it usually can. There comes a speed where it's almost impossible not to, but you can drag and not break the speed limit too!!!
There are plenty of times a knee down will actually be a slower line. It's in the rider's ability.

Do you have to get a knee down? No, but its like a drug, its fun and feels great. Check out the video, thanks again Bluehaya, I love it. The first bike through is me and Juli, the second bike is Shane and Marie. I am just cruising in 3rd gear and not running full out. Getting a knee down is about being smooth and consistent. We had folks at each end of the curve so we had control of the situation, before anyone flames me. And now that I have gotten my knee down, the next track day will be a blast!

You certainly didn't need to have a knee down in that vid. The fastest bike appears to be the last one where the rider didn't have his knee, or anything else, anywhere near the pavement.:laugh:

You certainly didn't need to have a knee down in that vid. The fastest bike appears to be the last one where the rider didn't have his knee, or anything else, anywhere near the pavement.:laugh:

Like I said, I wasnt blasting, I was trying to be smooth and consistent. That was my only goal. :beerchug:

So what's a matter with the way he is going around this croner? He has good tire conact isn't in fear of dragging anything, has room left for error. You don't have to look like you are at a race track to enjoy your Busa on the street. You could hang your butt off the bike to stand the bike up straighter and gain additional ground clearence but why? I say ride, have fun, maintain a safety margin for you and others! And if you are an advanced ride provide useful tips to others to increase their margin safety.:thumbsup:

Have I done it... yes! (Snapped the peg feeler on the stock pegs and just switched to the Buell peg mod) I really hang my knee out a lot of the time just to maintain consistency when riding and keep good body position. Do I actually drag my knee and scrape every time I'm riding on the street... absolutely not!

Whomever is in that photo, you should coach them with the importance of body position at extreme lean angles before they crash, not after!

Funny stuff ... Always someone to be the critic no matter what picture you choose to post :laugh:
That is me at JenningsGp or Roebling .. Cant remember but if ya ever get down to the southern tracks tufbusa I would be glad to let you school me on how to get around the track buddy :poke: :beerchug:

Funny stuff ... Always the critic no matter what picture you choose to post
That is me at JenningsGp or Roebling .. Cant remember but if ya ever get down to the southern tracks tufbusa I would be glad to let you school me on how to get around the track :poke: :laugh:

What I'm failry sure he is talking about is the fact that you are almost out of lean angle yet you are not hanging off of the bike like one would at that speed. My wife was guilty of this. she almost crashed a couble time trying to keep up with other busas that had their ass off the seat. wasnt going to happen. But we (hoons) taught her about body position and the rest is history.

Given all things constant, if you took that same corner using the body position that Tufbusa alluded to, you would have much less lean angle and even more room for error.

I got the point ... Just funnin' a bit with him ...
That track speed was not as fast as it looked and was a warm up session as I remember
I will try not to fall off the bike this year .. Thanks for the tip :beerchug:

Back