Digital Camera?  BT?

Nice shots Haywood!
beerchug.gif
Nice riding area, too!
super.gif
thanks BT... It's a great place to live, and ride!

toss up tween the g5 and s400/s500. kinda leaning toward the S for size. I could take a hit on the quality to have portability factor.

I am prolly going to buy the Canon S400 or S500 Digital Elph here in awhile.  I have been needing a good pocketable camera and from experiance the digital Elphs are pretty damn tough.  Just a thought though.  The S400 and G5 etc use special batteries that are pretty pricey to replace or to buy spares for.  Even Modern digital eat batteries like you wouldn't believe.  They are getting better but basically you are replacing film expenses with battery expenses.  Some I really like about the Minolta Dimage 7i I have and an older Nikon I used to use was that they use rechargeable AA batteries.  Not only are the AA's cheaper than the specialized batteries but if you forget to charge your batteries or are out in the boonies you can allways just hit a gas station or whatever and find AA's.

Oh and you owe it to yourself to check out the link I posted above but also go here: DPreview It is probably one of the best resources for information and opinions regarding damn near every digital camera out there. Do your research because a digital that doesn't perform the way you want it to will really piss you off...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074781739 -->

Oh and don't get hung up with the latest and greatest either. If you can still find a Nikon 990 I would grab it, tough, reliable, AA power. OH and be certain to check out the NIKON 4500, it's not a AA powered camera but I have found that Nikon's swivel body cameras can be really handy, shooting over you head or below your waist, stuff like that, and the Macro is really decent. Durable cameras...

Hey Rev, if you know anyone lookin' to pick up a nice 990 I have one I never use. I'd let it go for a good price if someone would use it. Don't like to see good toys lay around unused.

Hmmm. I am going to be buying another Camera for work and I think I have decided on the Nikon 4500 over the Canon G5 and S400. In image comparisons I like the color balance better on the Nikon. I would sell your 990 to WWJD. I think it would be ideal for what he is after. The best thing about the 4500 is the kick ass Macro. I do a lot of product and componant shots at work and the Nikon should pick up Nicely where the Minolta leaves off.

mmmm'kay... was already to get the Canon s400 4MPX ELPH when I noticed a very small Sony for same price with 5MPX.... same type batts, different mem cards but the kind I have for my Vid cam,  lens about the same [small] size...  I dont recall the exact model.  Anything wrong with Sony?  I'm wanting a small one so I WILL cart it around and USE it.  
smile.gif

sony cam

I'm not horribly picky, but DO want very small size with MAX potential images with very low price and the Sony SEEMS to fit the bill better than the s400. Input?

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075817010 -->

Just my $.02 here but in my opinion, after playing with a lot of the full size test images found all over the net at the review sites, Canon's files are MUCH cleaner and Canon has MUCH better compression algorythms than Sony. I got cleaner test prints and final images with some Canon 3 megapixel images than I got with Sony's 4 and 5 mp images. Like Rev mentioned before, it's quality over quantity when it comes to megapixels.

I'd definitely go with the Canon over the Sony based on image quality alone. I'd feel safe in saying that you could do anything with S400 images that you could do with the higher mp Sony images. It's yer call, though. If you like the Sony better then that's the right choice for you. Different strokes...
wink.gif

Good points. I'll get the s400. Thanks for the advise and your experiences.
smile.gif
The 400 is smaller anyway! Yeah. I like that. Now I'll be able to post GOOD pix instead of vid cam crap!!!

Digital Elph Rocks...  especially if you just need point and shoot...  I may end up with one yet.  Don't forget to get a USB2.0 Flashcard reader, a 256meg or larger flashcard at least one, and maybe one of them itty bitty little spring legged tripods, if you want to take self portraits or time lapse you'll wish you had one. They make em' small...  Then a spare battery maybe...

Have fun, post some picks..

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075823914 -->

I have a canon powershot s45
good price, easy to use
I would by it again.
My father had a kodak and got it stolen.
After seing my camera he went and bought a canon s50.

Back