Digital Camera?  BT?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
BT, you mentioned you have a 6.3 megapix camera and your shots look GREAT. What dp you know about that new 9+ megapixel cam? I want to get something and take general pics as well as my hobby of "Sky" photos. I'm an idiot user and don't like learning a lot so it needs to be simple. Would ANY 6.3 MPX work well or are there quality diffs in the final image for same megapix cameras? I'd PREFER to spend less than 999 hopefully more like $400

All opinions appriciated

Just a thought but do not get caught up in Megapixels.  I have seen several high "5 Megapixel" cameras that produce garbage images, Sony comes to mind here...  What really important, just like it has allways been is the firm ware, and the quality of optics.  Stick with a Canon or a Minolta and you should do just fine.  My .02

Check out <span style='color:blue'>The Comparometer</span>

This bad boy has about every camera out there on it and sample shots you can compare side by side....

WWJD, I just got a Minolta Dimage XT. It's a 3.2 megapixel has 3x optical zoom and does video and everything else cameras do these days, but the reason I bought it was the size. Its not much bigger than a cell phone fits easily in your pocket. I figured if the camera was any bigger than that I wouldn't want to carry it with me. Takes good pictures and costs less than $300. It is perfect to throw in the pocket of your jeans or a riding jacket.

I'm with Rev on this. Don't get caught up in megapixels. Once you get to a certain level, megapixels and image quality are not as closely related as you'd think. According to what you do with your pics, 3.X megapixels might be more than enough. Do you print large? (8 X 10 and bigger) Make posters? Or, do you print mostly 4 X 6 prints with the occasional 5 X 7 or 8 X 10 thrown in?

If you rarely, or never print over 5 X 7 then a 3 megapixel camera would be plenty. I've done great 8 X 10 prints from a Nikon Coolpix 990 (3 megapixels) and seen bad ones from 6 megapixel images. (I don't print my bad ones
wink.gif
)

It also depends on how much hassle you want to deal with. Shooting a lot of 4-6 megapixels (not to mention 9 megapixel images!) will eat up memory cards in a hurry! You will have to spend a fair chunk of change to get enough memory to be able to take more than a handful of shots before uploading to the PC to free the card up to start again. 6mp images also eat up hard drive space unless you regularly burn them to CD. I've already filled half a 30 gig HD on my new computer.

Then you have to deal with processing time. You can eat up a few hours going through and process a bunch of 6mp images. Especially if you're working on full size originals for large prints. It takes a lot of processing power and memory to be able to process them with any quickness at all.

Just goin' by your post here I think you'd be MUCH happier in the wallet and when taking photos if you stick with one of the good 3 to 4 megapixel point & shoot digitals. I have a Canon S400 4 megapixel pocket camera that makes (or made) awesome images. In 4 X 6 and 5 X 7 prints they rivaled my 6mp D60. I think you can get one for around $400 if not a little less these days. An S400, a couple of 256 megabyte memory cards and a small carrying case makes for an excellent kit.

Just to illustrate the point that megapixels don't necessarily make better images, here are a few I took with cameras having less megapixels than my D60...

3 megapixel Canon D30:

25321211.jpg

25321212.jpg

25321253.jpg

4 megapixel Canon S400:

25321254.jpg

25321255.jpg

25321256.jpg

25321257.jpg

25321258.jpg

All the photos in this gallery were made with my Nikon Coolpix 990 which is an older 3megapixel camera.

I have to say that the Canon S400 makes the best image for the least worry and hassle out of all the cameras I've ever owned. I still have mine but I dropped it on concrete and the lens won't extend now. I've gotta send it off to get it fixed. I really miss havin' that little guy with me. I took in my pocket everywhere I went! Even to the local Chinese buffet!
laugh.gif

25321404.jpg

As ThunderPants said, there's a lot to be said for getting something you'll actually take with you. A big ol' 10+ megapixel camera body with a bag of lenses and flashes left at home won't take ANY images for ya!
wink.gif

Let us know a little more about what you do with your images and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction. I'd almost bet that the Canon S400 would make you a happy snapper...

wink.gif

I have a Canon S330.. it's pretty inexpensive and I think the quality is great. It's pretty bulletproof too.. I take it mountain biking (yes, in the mountains) and I've been known to crash pretty hard.

BT: what, no shots of the doughnut shop? just kidding, man!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I have a Canon S330.. it's pretty inexpensive and I think the quality is great.  It's pretty bulletproof too.. I take it mountain biking (yes, in the mountains) and I've been known to crash pretty hard.  

BT:  what, no shots of the doughnut shop? just kidding, man!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Haywood, my brother... Nothing in this world is bullet(train) proof!
laugh.gif

Good call! I actually spent about an hour in the camera store trying to decide between the S330 and S400. The thing that swayed me to the S400 was some reviews I'd read online about how the S400's flash performance was much better than it's predecessors. I'd seen some flash photos posted by members of a digicam message board I was hangin' out on at the time and was pleased with what I saw.

I actually liked the contrast that the S330 gave me in the in store test photos better than what the S400 put out, both at default settings. Great camera, I just thought the flash performance advantage of the S400 was worth the few extra $$$.
wink.gif
You're right though. The S330 would make a great carry anywhere camera!
beerchug.gif

Oh, and what was that about a donut shop?
rock.gif
Gotta love dem Krispy Kremes!!!
super.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

ooooo krispy kremes are my FAV!!!!!!!

only there isn't many krispy distributors in iowa....
mad.gif

You guys rock! um... the only Pics I REALLY want to catch are clouds. It's a weird hobby - I call it God's art. So, I'd love to be able to take quality shots at 6:30 am when the sun is creeping UNDER a cloud ceiling and lighting it all up purple and pink. Also nice daytime shots with poofy white clouds and nice blue backing. Then maybe some evening sunset clouds with black, purple, blue, red orange, yellows going on. Make sense? I loved the shots you posted and you definite have an eye for framing photos!! Love it! I WOULD like to be ABLE to make quality 8x10's if I feel like it though so maybe I should keep it a small size but go 6.3??
Best Buy
Canon - PowerShot 5.0-Megapixel Digital Camera
G5 Our Price: $599.99
Canon - PowerShot 4.0-Megapixel Digital Camera
S400 Our Price: $399.99
Froogle.com
Canon PowerShot G5 5.0 Megapixel Digital Camera
$457.00 - Zoommania
Canon PowerShot S400
$250.00
Prices are inline... any other versions you'd recommend? Seems the s400 might do me, unless you think I need bigger for potential clear 8x10's. I've got lots of HD space and speed and burn DVD and CD so that's no prob. Rather have large files than poor quality.
smile.gif
Thanks for the input guys. If you need PC fixes, relationship help, or recording studio tips let me know!
biggrin.gif

what about the PowerShot S50? same as s400 but more 5 megapix? only a few bucks more, same convenient size and features

rock.gif
super.gif
Good photo, BT!  That little girl is just dying to reach in and grab a mit full of those donuts!   I had my first Krispy Kreme(s) this summer... and oh Momma, I'm hooked... Those donuts ought to be illegal!  
laugh.gif

They're opening one up here in Calgary, and thankfully it's in the other end of the city or I wouldn't fit into my leathers after a few trips.  
laugh.gif

WWJD:  sorry, don't know anything about the S50.

laugh.gif

Unfortunately I haven't done that many sky photos to show you. Here are all the shots I found in my S400 archives that had sky in them. One reason I stay with Canon is the way they render colors and their control of digital noise (equiv. to film grain). Especially in skies. Nothing can ruin a good sky shot quicker for me than a lot of noise/grain.
wink.gif

25337034.jpg

25337036.jpg

25337037.jpg

25337038.jpg

Browse this gallery for a few sky and sunset shots made with the D60.

I'd have to say that if skies are the most important to you, you might want to go with something with a little more exposure control than the S400. In all honesty an S400 meters great and you'd probably be able to make the kinds of shots you want with it. For me, though, I'd rather have a bit more control than the S400 allows. I'd also want the ability to shoot in RAW mode so I would have the most possible data in the pic to work with to allow me to recover as much tonal detail as possible. The D60 shots you see in the above gallery were shot in CRW (Canon's RAW format) and processed into .tiff files for editing, and then to JPG for display and sharing.

With all that garbage said (Ya think I could talk about this stuff all day  or what?
laugh.gif
) I think the G5 would be an excellent choice. I had a G3 (4 megapixels) and loved it. For what you want to do, I think it would be a better choice than the S400. The S50 has plenty of options and control but from what I've seen in sample photos, it produces more digital noise than the G3 I had.

Oh, and watch out buying from some of those online sellers with those too good to be true prices. Some of them sell grey market (imported with no US warranty) stuff. Some take things out of the kit and want to sell them to you separately to make up what they're losing by selling for the advertised prices. Things like the battery charger!  And some will rape you on shipping charges to make up the loss.

I do most all my photo equipment business with 17th Street Photo ( www.17photo.com ) or B&H Photo ( www.bhphotovideo.com. They have competitive "REAL" prices and no bull shiot add on charges and they charge honest shipping rates. No rip offs, just straight up business. I prefer to do business with 17th Street when they have what I want and are within a few $ on price with B&H. Much more pleasureable to deal with than the arrogant people at B&H. B&H is safe to deal with, they just have big time NY attitude.
wink.gif

Let me know what you end up going with. Oh, and lastly, don't forget that tripod if you want nice, sharp, detailed 8 X 10 prints. Printing that large, or larger really shows any hand/camera shake!
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074702172 -->

wink.gif

here are a few photos i took with my S330.. also to give you an idea of my riding area. These are all taken in the CDN Rockies, mostly near Banff, Alberta.

mountains_1jpg.jpg

rock.gif
super.gif
Good photo, BT!  That little girl is just dying to reach in and grab a mit full of those donuts!   I had my first Krispy Kreme(s) this summer... and oh Momma, I'm hooked... Those donuts ought to be illegal!  
laugh.gif

They're opening one up here in Calgary, and thankfully it's in the other end of the city or I wouldn't fit into my leathers after a few trips.  
laugh.gif

WWJD:  sorry, don't know anything about the S50.
I gotta admit, that photo wasn't mine.
wink.gif
I found it on the Krispy Kreme site.
biggrin.gif
It is a great photo, though.
super.gif
Chocolate milk and KK donuts... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
drooling3.gif

laugh.gif

super.gif

Hey WWJD,

17th Street has the G5 for $499 right now!
super.gif
I guarantee they are an honest seller! Talk to Martin or Dov. (pronounced like the bird, Dove).
beerchug.gif
I've bought around $12,000 worth of photo equipment over the past few years and not a single complaint. The one problem I had with a new Canon lens was resloved quickly and to my satisfaction.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074702857 -->

Back