Convince me to stretch my 2003

Not offended at all. The truth is they work whether you recommend them or not or whether you have insurance or don't. The swingarm or extensions carry about the same liability as a built motor, there is none truth be told. they are meant for off road usage alright. I'm willing to bet my life on this one right here. There have been more swingarm extensions sold and used across america most with out failures than there have been arms sold and used cross america in 40 years.. They didn't just come to the market and will be around the market when swingarm builders are dead and gone.. Sorry PH, they not all crap, I don't recommend them as my first choice. It's a viable option for folks making a choice to spend their money on something. I would never sell a arm to a guy that has to ask..They may never like it, just want it for the weekend for track use or occasional i'm hip ride around poser weekend cruise, that's who needs extensions..There's lots of guys on here that have them and don't think they would risk their life on junk.. :thumbsup:

POWERHOUSE also deals with Terry McIntosh, have for almost 40 years. His arm that is equivalent to the Trac Dynamics arm is the same price. On the bolt-on extension issue - again, I would never do it. It is the cheap man's way out, and for the lousy $200 you are going to spend on them, you are taking your life in your hands. It has nothing to do with good extensions or proper installation. Sorry GC, they are crap IMO and I will NEVER put them on anything I ride or recommend them to a customer. I pay enough insurance and am not looking to lose my shop or endanger a customer. Do it right, or don't do it at all!:whistle:

not trying to jump into a war here, but has anyone else ever heard of problems with extensions? I have never heard of issues with them (not that I'm a pro or anything, or taking mine off any time soon)

sorry, but one issue is not quite enough to convince me. I'm sure there has been one issue with extended swing arms also.
Also not saying a whole swing arm is not better, but right now I'm thinking extensions are good enough.

Sorry, but i've never heard nor had problem with extensions. I've had them on my 929 and beat the hell out of it. In process of putting a set of Myrtle West extensions on wife's gsxr 600 right now. Let me tell you, with the design and machining of these, no chance they are moving or breaking. I have no problem recommending them... if we weren't doing 240 on her Busa then it would be getting a set also.

I wont recommend at all,especially with that amount of $$$.

If you want it to be for drag set up and for custom look with that fat tyre look sure,with no hard track riding and sharp twisties fine by me.:whistle:

Not offended at all. The truth is they work whether you recommend them or not or whether you have insurance or don't. The swingarm or extensions carry about the same liability as a built motor, there is none truth be told. they are meant for off road usage alright. I'm willing to bet my life on this one right here. There have been more swingarm extensions sold and used across america most with out failures than there have been arms sold and used cross america in 40 years.. They didn't just come to the market and will be around the market when swingarm builders are dead and gone.. Sorry PH, they not all crap, I don't recommend them as my first choice. It's a viable option for folks making a choice to spend their money on something. I would never sell a arm to a guy that has to ask..They may never like it, just want it for the weekend for track use or occasional i'm hip ride around poser weekend cruise, that's who needs extensions..There's lots of guys on here that have them and don't think they would risk their life on junk.. :thumbsup:

GC, I agree with everything you are saying, including that they are not all crap. However, coming from a drag racing background - having piloted many seven-second turbo funny bikes and pro street bikes - I can say that the chassis setup is not to be taken lightly, especially when you are putting over 400 horse and 250+ foot pounds of torque to the ground. And you are probably correct that more swingarm extensions are sold than complete swingarms. And there are probably more people shopping at Walmart, too :laugh: Opinions and preferences naturally come from one's own experiences, and on a Busa extension you are dealing here with a machined oval that has to fit as tightly as possible in a swingarm oval slot that very often varies in dimensions. A swingarm extension that has to be pressed into a tight slot will be better than loose fitting ones that only tighten up when you tighten up those two little bolts on that backing plate. That may be fine for posers and weekend warriors, and you may very well have found a pair that work better than most. Most of the bikes we build at POWERHOUSE are 300 horse and better - these are customers that generally do not tend to cheap out on their builds, and for them, bolt on extensions cannot be taken seriously. And when it comes to swingarms - guys like Kosman and McIntosh and companies like Trac Dynamics make some of the best stuff out there . . .

Nychayabusa, I say stretch it! Choose your poison, find a setup that you like - one that fits your budget - and go with it. I prefer a 4 inch stretch and would not go over 6 on a street bike. However you decide to do it - extensions or a full arm - it will let you appreciate and use the hp your turbo bike makes by keeping it on the ground.

POWERHOUSE also deals with Terry McIntosh, have for almost 40 years. His arm that is equivalent to the Trac Dynamics arm is the same price.

:thumbsup:

1500-2000 isnt a bad price OTD. i'd deff look at getting a new shock too, at the very least getting yours re-sprung if that isnt figured in there.

Let me ask something....been at this busa thing forever now...... do you see what holds those extentions on? those little allen bolts.....see that? now tell me do you trust your life to them?:banghead:

I own five motorcycles. Three of them are stretched (Busa, ZX9, ZX14). All three of them have had to many 1/4 and 1/8 mile passes on them to count and they all have swingarm extensions. The ZX9 has had them for about ten years and 32,000 miles. The Busa for about 29,000 miles and the ZX14 for about 5,000 (only had it about 3 months). They all three get street riden, ALOT, as well as drag raced and I have never had any trouble what so ever with the extensions on any of them. All that being said, I would say stretch it of your gonna drag race or even if your just gonna do some aggressive street riding. And don't let anybody tell you "don't stretch it if your gonna ride alot". I hate it when people say that. As you can see from the mileage of mine, I do ride alot and the bikes handle and ride great. I can't drag a knee very well in corners with them but that's not what I'm into and judging by the fact that you have a turbo on your bike, your prolly not much into carving corners either. You'll also be able to enjoy that turbo alot more if you strecth it.

Thanks all for the comments. If I do move forward with it I would feel more comfortable doing the actual arm like Franks says. Not saying extensions are skimping, but I will spend the 1k to feel safer. Remember that this price also takes into account the undertail (still have mudflap), chain, brake lines, etc

In Manhattan I don't really carve corners except when it is to get out of the way of crazy cab drivers. :laugh: I'm just doing it mainly for looks. Eh, maybe I'll wait a month or so and see if I still want it.

$1500 for a 190 swingarm is a rip off. SB customs and evil sells it for $600. At MiRock most of the bikes I have seen have evil swingarms. Even the prostock guys. And I see many 8 second guys with extensions, even Tricky Gadson has extensions on one of his new zx14's.

Chromoly arms to aluminum arms price or comparison have never been the same..

$1500 for a 190 swingarm is a rip off. SB customs and evil sells it for $600. At MiRock most of the bikes I have seen have evil swingarms. Even the prostock guys. And I see many 8 second guys with extensions, even Tricky Gadson has extensions on one of his new zx14's.

The Trac Dynamics swingarm being considered by nychayabusa is NOT $1500. The swingarm is $995; it is $120 for black powdercoat, $80 for the chain guard, $25 for race stand mounts and $80 for the S/T axle block option. The total for this arm with all the options is $1300. This is not a moly-steel square tube race arm, this is their best street arm. All these prices are directly from Trac. Whatever nychayabusa decides on, the fact remains that there are a lot of choices out there and he should consider them all - including extensions.

yeah, I would think that there might be a HP limit on the extensions. Not sure what your turbo is putting out, but I'm at 230 with spray and feel fine with extensions.

and yes, my bike sees walmart more than the the strip, but it does go sometimes :).

The Trac Dynamics swingarm being considered by nychayabusa is NOT $1500. The swingarm is $995; it is $120 for black powdercoat, $80 for the chain guard, $25 for race stand mounts and $80 for the S/T axle block option. The total for this arm with all the options is $1300. This is not a moly-steel square tube race arm, this is their best street arm. All these prices are directly from Trac. Whatever nychayabusa decides on, the fact remains that there are a lot of choices out there and he should consider them all - including extensions.

exactly when people try to compare prices they forget what exactly (or dont know) what they are comparing.

Back