Stretching my bike will kill my curving abilities !?!?!?

99busaq8

Registered
I've been asking around here in kuwait about the effects of stretching my bike another 2 or 3 inches to make it around 8 or 9" stretch.. most of the guys that answered told me if i lean my bike in corners it will start wobeling and it wont go down ! ! ! ! !

IS THAT TRUE???

the guys that answered most of them have never strectched there bikes out.. and the rest have never REALLY leaned into a corner to thier knees !

I need to know from YOU guys.. THE guys who have tried it all.. what are the pro's and cons of stretching to 8 or 9"... my bike is stretched to about 6" now...

1.jpg

I'm all about corners, kneedragging, trackdays, etc. But my setup and bike is much different than your so I can't really advise based on a stretched busa b/c I've never rode a stretcher on the track before.

but....

I will say this: some of your concerns with corners + Busa are generally: ground clearance, geometry, and wheel base. There are plenty of fast track guys here who do the 1" dogs to raise the rear. that will change rear ride height (ground clearance), geometry (swing arm angle is increased and may take out some rake), and slight wheel base shortening (we're talking mm's). that alone will already facilitate quick turn-ins.

A shorter wheel base is traditionally faster turning, yet, less stable compared to longer wheelbases. If you decide to stretch and take her out to the local twisties, remember to at least have the proper spring rate for both forks and shocks, and set the proper sag: usually 30-35 mm for canyon/track stuff. the added wheelbase should give plenty of stability, as long as the spring rates and sag settings are appropriate for your weight/ability.

The wobbling you mentioned with a stretcher could be due to improper spring for the front and incorrect sag settings: resulting in all of the fork travel being used and not enough "recovery" from cornering forces and bumps.

I put a 7" stretch on my Gixxer and it definitely slows down the cornering. It doesnt wobble but takes a good push/pull on the bars to lean it over. The good part is straight line stability is improved. If you do a lot of corner carving you dont want the stretch.
P8240008-1.jpg

Be sure to get a 'read' on this from Big Diesel.

Good luck!

GTRPimp is an expert...trust him~I do.

If it were me I wouldnt do it. It will reduce twistie fun but imho not a great deal more than it already is at 6over. and what gtrpimp said:beerchug:

With the exception of drag-racing, I have never understood why someone would want to ruin the attributes of the Hayabusa's highly refined chassis by stretching.

OTOH.... it's not my bike; it's theirs to do wish as they please. Lot's of Busa owners are definitely more into posing than riding. Not my thang, but to each their own.

And these folks do help keep the Busa aftermarket industry humming right along, which is a good thing. :beerchug:

I'm all about corners, kneedragging, trackdays, etc. But my setup and bike is much different than your so I can't really advise based on a stretched busa b/c I've never rode a stretcher on the track before.

but....

I will say this: some of your concerns with corners + Busa are generally: ground clearance, geometry, and wheel base. There are plenty of fast track guys here who do the 1" dogs to raise the rear. that will change rear ride height (ground clearance), geometry (swing arm angle is increased and may take out some rake), and slight wheel base shortening (we're talking mm's). that alone will already facilitate quick turn-ins.

A shorter wheel base is traditionally faster turning, yet, less stable compared to longer wheelbases. If you decide to stretch and take her out to the local twisties, remember to at least have the proper spring rate for both forks and shocks, and set the proper sag: usually 30-35 mm for canyon/track stuff. the added wheelbase should give plenty of stability, as long as the spring rates and sag settings are appropriate for your weight/ability.

The wobbling you mentioned with a stretcher could be due to improper spring for the front and incorrect sag settings: resulting in all of the fork travel being used and not enough "recovery" from cornering forces and bumps.

ok so thats sounds great.. i allready enjoy knocking my bike down on turns.. but ( ME NO EXPERT ) we dont have tracks.. so i aint thinking of competitions.. I usually go straight.. not safe around here to go into corners and tearing through sound barriers :whistle:

but we dont have qualified -smart-good mechanics here.. so I guess I would need info and know-how to adjust the hieght-springs-forks for me.. ! what would suit me.. say i'm around 88KG and my hieght is 178cm ! someone would have to look that up in inches and pounds :p and i wanna stretch to 8 or 9" what would be best for me.. !

thnx for the comments guys.. !

I had to get an CDL license for mine:laugh:
No it takes some time to get use to it!! No woble on mine at 12 over. No I can't keep up with the pack like i want but that was the price I paid for the look I wanted. I have about an inch and a half of chicken strips.

barend 6.jpg

I had to get an CDL license for mine:laugh:
No it takes some time to get use to it!! No woble on mine at 12 over. No I can't keep up with the pack like i want but that was the price I paid for the look I wanted. I have about an inch and a half of chicken strips.

You don't like traction too much do you :laugh:

With the exception of drag-racing, I have never understood why someone would want to ruin the attributes of the Hayabusa's highly refined chassis by stretching.

OTOH.... it's not my bike; it's theirs to do wish as they please. Lot's of Busa owners are definitely more into posing than riding. Not my thang, but to each their own.

And these folks do help keep the Busa aftermarket industry humming right along, which is a good thing. :beerchug:

+1:whistle:

but....

+1 to what both these fellas said

*sigh* another thread to bash guys with stretchd bikes *yawn* so, what's new?:whistle:

99busaq8-make sure you talk to someone knowledgeable in suspension setup when you redo your rear suspension (which you will need to do) at the very least swap out your rear spring but if you can afford also get the shock revalved or move to an aftermarket unit entirely if you have the means. The front forks will not need a bunch of adjustment but I think you should add an aftermarket suspension damper if you do lots of hi-speed blasts out there the oem one gets weak after 10k miles on it.

also lower your rear end-use some dogbones if you wana save $ n dont need to aadjust'em.:beerchug:
any other questions PM me, I've been running my bike 9" over for 2yrs...n I do mean "running"-no posing up here in WI. ask the guys from the Midwest MnG:whistle:

Now who would bash a bike that had the suspension all fookered up and now rides like a harley bagger with a rigid frame? :poke:

I don't think anyone bashes those who choose to stretch and slam their ride. I think they look cool as hell all stretched out.

Curb appeal or curve appeal. It's a choice. You can't have both!

+1 for "Curve Appeal" but sure wish I could run those $100 shinko cheapo tires..

Back