Back from Seattle

I just seen this post. Congratulations on having career choice's Mrs Rev.

I've lived here in the SF Bay Area since 1999, and I really do like it. Two years ago I spent two full summer months in Seattle and I like it way better then SF. It was bright and sunny, and only rained once the 60 days I spent there. The area above Lynwood, Snohomish County is where I have friends, and I was lookng at some 5,000 sq ft homes on seven acres for around $350k and very easy to get into the city during morning commutes.

My favorite area is the Bremerton area, where you can get 20 acres for less then $200k then build your own home, or buy some nice homes in that area. You can then take the ferry to Seattle with or without your car.

If you decide on SF, DO NOT move to Antioch!!!! The traffic is so bad that it will take you over an hour just to get to the interstate, then you will still have another two hour commute.

Homes don't appreciate as quickly in the Seattle area as they do in the SF Bay Area. I sold my home here that I owned for 2-1/2 years and cleared $180k after closing costs and realtor fees. We moved on the military base so I could finish school which I will complte next month. Our plan was to move to Seattle once I finished school, but my wife got accepted into Nursing school, so we have to stay here another 1-1/2 years until she finishes.

We will move to Seattle after that.

Good luck on your decison. Now I have to start looking for a new job myself.
cool.gif

Besides, other than weather, I cannot come up with any other negative to living North of Seattle.  It's less crowded, more affordable, more laid back, and I think it would be more my speed anyway.  
[/QUOTE]
Rev are you crazy, Ssshhh ((there are bigfeet up there and they do not like streetbikes, only motards and enduros)) ask Flyin Swan, when they come down from Canada they go full throttle so they do not get caught by them Sasquatches))Ssshhh

Don't tell ANYONE, if they know that I have told you that I know that they are up there or else they will know, that you know, and then they will take my bike away...again.ssssshhhh and then there's them Alaskans you know we are still at war with them....for Pete's sake... Why would you wanna live near that big Island.

Alaska is still an island isn't it? and Alaskans are just like them other ones from Huh-why-eee. SSSsshhh I think I just heard Hawaiibusa log on  he's a spy for them..SSsshhhh
crazy.gif

I heard they built a big long bridge to get to Alaska and it cost a gazillion dollars to cross it.
crazy.gif

what's that...?
rock.gif
? you hear that....

<!--EDIT|RidersNation
Reason for Edit: "noises...."|1100826400 -->

crazy.gif

laugh.gif
Yeah.. but take a good look at what Cali will do to ya, Rev!!
Still not convinced? Read RidersNation's last post again!
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Hmmm.......... since we last left Our little indecisive couple The Mrs.s has devulged her identity as the sole provider of Safety and Well Being of the majority of the populace, as her sidekick the Inquisitor, has to come to terms with being a tagalong to her ever ascending status, as being only second to Mother Nature, the Most important woman to move to the West Coast. Which leads us to the question of Shall they move to Washington State and SHE in accordance with her title, actuate with precision, the risk management of the dreaded impact Mount St. Helens's impending eruption will have on the Northwest (all the while trying to keep their spirits up through THE RAIN) or move to the San Francisco Bay Area and enjoy the hospitality and social graces afforded to them via CALIFORNIA LOVE , Baby!!!!

Uhhh Yess a little tangental I am today, stir crazy, NO ONE IS HERE TODAY!!!!!!    

Anyhow>...NO matter what You will come to Laguna right???
ROTFL.... the sole provider of Safety and Well Being of the majority of the populace[/QUOTE]

He he he... Oh that's good stuff... Laguna, maybe not this coming GP due to timing, but if I am in the bay Area and I can get a ticket... Hell yeah I'll be there if possible...

take a look at homes in the Renton,Kent, Federal Way area, might find something you like. The rain not so bad , you learn to live with just like the Humidity, I moved from Miami to Seattle years ago and ive loved it so much i stayed:;):

Besides, other than weather, I cannot come up with any other negative to living North of Seattle.  It's less crowded, more affordable, more laid back, and I think it would be more my speed anyway.  
Rev are you crazy, Ssshhh ((there are bigfeet up there and they do not like streetbikes, only motards and enduros)) ask Flyin Swan, when they come down from Canada they go full throttle so they do not get caught by them Sasquatches))Ssshhh

Don't tell ANYONE, if they know that I have told you that I know that they are up there or else they will know, that you know, and then they will take my bike away...again.ssssshhhh and then there's them Alaskans you know we are still at war with them....for Pete's sake... Why would you wanna live near that big Island.

Alaska is still an island isn't it? and Alaskans are just like them other ones from Huh-why-eee. SSSsshhh I think I just heard Hawaiibusa log on  he's a spy for them..SSsshhhh
crazy.gif

I heard they built a big long bridge to get to Alaska and it cost a gazillion dollars to cross it.
crazy.gif

what's that...?
rock.gif
? you hear that....[/QUOTE]
Wow R'sN! You're on eof the odd ones, aren't you! If this is what happens to the folk in SF... MAybe I'll try a little harder for WA!
laugh.gif

crazy.gif

I was j/k. Amatuer comedian. Need sense of humor to live in this world.

I believe also You get a better write-off for moving to CA than Washington. (pretty sure).

If they pay you per diem, will you will get more for here?

There are some good places for a cafe here. I was just about to sink some cash into a Cyber Cafe but I can't compete with a Corp. so I shut that down. I want to open a Cafe or a Moto friendly place here myself. There's definitely a market between Jamba Juice and Starbucks that's where our kind seem to flock to. In fact the little Shopping center outside of Laguna on Del Rey Oaks where there is a 7-11 and Jack in the Box has a Quiznos Sub, a Starbucks and Jamba Juice all in one place.

Anyways, it sucks to move in the winter regardless, especially the distance you are contmeplating. If you have a real estate friend, just ask them to look on the MLS and get twenty listings each, look em over and also look at your tax breaks. Either way, your at least on this coast. I hope they do do a Colorado thing and it coincides with your move so you can attend.

Keep us posted.

Roy

So why would the tax break's be different between the two states?

If her new employer picks up the moving tab, there's nothing to write off anyway.

Umm, I dunno... Interest on Mortgage is deductable wherever your at and there is NO State Income Tax In Washington as compared to the 6% in Cali. Otherwise... I am a little cloudy on just what "Write Off" is better in California...

Don't need a realtor for MLS listings though, That's why god gave us the Internet. Check out Realtor.com, pretty all inclusive MLS. But I know what your saying, that would be a pretty poor way to choose where to go though in this case. I mean based on the housing I am North of Seattle all day. I am looking at 3 acres or so in the woods up there, with a shop outback and 2200sq ft of home. Compared to the 1500SqFt home built in 1976 on a lot that is less than .25 acre for the same money.

Oh and my chances of catching a stray round are significantly lower up north.
laugh.gif
Though I cannot really say much cause Tampa is worse than anything out west...

WE'll see, like I have been repeating, there is good and bad in both decisions, so we wait to see what happens. IF the $$$$ is there, then away we go... Prolly.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I've lived in both SF and, Seattle. Seattle seemed much warmer in more than one way.
I currently live on an Island (San Juan Island) north of the metropolitian area where, good riding starts at the end of my driveway.
Our doors are unlocked and, keys are in the ignition always cause, we have no crime here to speak of. If a thief was to steal something they'd have to go wait in line at the ferry landing where they would be (and have been) recieved by our local authorities That's worth a ton of $$ in my opinion. Plus, Our house has gained 60K in value in just over a tear. Our area is dubbed the Martha's Vineyard of the west coast. Quite a few business types pool togather and commute via small aircraft daily to the Seatlle area where they have thier cages waiting.
Good luck with your move wherever it takes you.

I've lived in both SF and, Seattle. Seattle seemed much warmer in more than one way.
I currently live on an Island (San Juan Island) north of the metropolitian area where, good riding starts at the end of my driveway.
Our doors are unlocked and, keys are in the ignition always cause, we have no crime here to speak of. If a thief was to steal something they'd have to go wait in line at the ferry landing where they would be (and have been) recieved by our local authorities That's worth a ton of $$ in my opinion. Plus, Our house has gained 60K in value in just over a tear. Our area is dubbed the Martha's Vineyard of the west coast. Quite a few business types pool togather and commute via small aircraft daily to the Seatlle area where they have thier cages waiting.
Good luck with your move wherever it takes you.
Been There man, spent a couple weeks there at the labs at Friday Harbor. Your slice of heaven is part of why I want to get back up there so bad... Great people, laid back environment...

What I remember most was the genuine nature of folks up there. Good or bad, there was a lack of pretense.

I remember the airstrip there on the Island, and that is tempting. Tell me, is the "States Inn" still in operation??? I stayed there for a few nights way back when and loved it, just curious if it's still a B&B...

biggrin.gif
That's great, you've been to my hood. Yes, the states Inn is still here but, if you come back this way again, keep in mind that we're well connected here and, can get you put up real nice like for a fraction of what it usually cost. Did you notice our roads here?? That's where my "Bus" dominates. There are three of us Busa riders here on the island but, I'm the only one that has a fair amount of sportbike riding / racing experiance.
My wife works at the cop shop and, I enjoy a certian amount of "catch & relese" privilages as well as a pre-ride "where are they now" heads up. It's a lotta fun up here and yes, the folks are very for real especially if you are.
I've been watching this thread but, haven't seen any new news yet.
I'll be watching
Good Luck and take care.

smile.gif
Hey bulldog, the wife has never been there so it's kind of a goal of mine to get up there and make some fresh memories. Glad to hear the States is still there, it was a fun place, the "Connections" could be handy too. I'll be certain to post up as soon as we know something. I have my fingers crossed only cause I think the wife and I both would really enjoy living out in the sticks a little bit and that is still kinda possible north and East of Seattle. If we make it up there a Ferry ride to the Island is WAY up there on the list...
thumbs-up.gif
I'll be sure to give you a shout...

I remember the roads. It was bizarre cause here I am on an Island surrounded by water, driving on mountain roads.
laugh.gif
Messed with my head...

Will be keeping our hopes up here to as well. Just give us notice and, we could fetch you off the ferry thus saving the 50.00 it takes just to bring a car you don't need cause, we have several.
Yes, these roads are great training roads for "track day" as, if you can rail on them then, the smooth, wide, well taken care of roads over in the real world are a piece of cake let alone on a track.
We could always use another Busa rider here if even only for an occasional day here and there.
Take good care and, good luck!!

Bah, I know what your saying though and if there was anything biting in Colorado we would be there in an instant.  That's where I we want to live.  On about 20 acres, middle of the woods... Where I could make jewelry and sculpture and simply enjoy life...   Not some Plastic fantastic, but seeing as we really do not have the option, might as well run with it while we can...

Mostly this move is getting us out of Florida and out of the South.  The Heat and Humidity just aren't my friends, it makes me grumpy...
I turned down a solid job offer in Florida precisely because of the heat/humidity. Did a consultancy gig in Kansas once for a few months and I just couldn't get used to the 80 degrees/80% humidity at 10 o'clock at night.

I grew up in England so I've ridden in rain and snow - if you didn't, you only got on the bike a couple of days a year.... :-)

If I had to choose, I wouldn't go for California. I prefer a bit more variety in my climate (which is why I live in Colorado.)

Will be keeping our hopes up here to as well. Just give us notice and, we could fetch you off the ferry thus saving the 50.00 it takes just to bring a car you don't need cause, we have several.
Yes, these roads are great training roads for "track day" as, if you can rail on them then, the smooth, wide, well taken care of roads over in the real world are a piece of cake let alone on a track.
We could always use another Busa rider here if even only for an occasional day here and there.
Take good care and, good luck!!
dont mean to Jack your thread,
Bulldogg
ill have too look you up this summer

<!--EDIT|havoc
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102115974 -->

I had to dig seven pages deep to find this and.............I still don't know where he and the Mr.s wound up moving to??

Anybody know???

Back