Are modular helmets dorky???

I'm no poser and I wear one....sure I look super dorky when it's open but in the 115 degree desert heat of Arizona I need all the vents I can get.:thumbsup: Dory or not I love the crap out of mine. I would'nt worry about how it holds up either, I was wearing mine when I went down and smacked my head agaist the curb.... It didn't even crack and held up perfectly. That said they are not as good as a full face so yo need to weigh your options and risks, for me I will take the risk.

I hear ya. There are a few differences though.

1) You live in AZ where it's HOT most of the year, so makes sense to stay cool
2) You aren't riding on a chromed out Harley revving the bejeezus out of it to get attention
3) You're not a poser, you're OK in my book

So you can wear it and not be dorky.

I hear ya. There are a few differences though.

1) You live in AZ where it's HOT most of the year, so makes sense to stay cool
2) You aren't riding on a chromed out Harley revving the bejeezus out of it to get attention
3) You're not a poser, you're OK in my book

So you can wear it and not be dorky.

Yeah its above 80 degrees from mid April to early November so I like mine…….even though it makes me feel nerdy. It even has two visors, the outer clear one and an inner shade one that I can flip down when ever I want….. I like that best of all. When I wear my other helmets I need to put some shades on and the helmet smashes them against the sides of my head giving me a headache.

I've been wearing them for years for casual and riding to work . I love'm but for serious riding and racing gotta have a full one . and yes they are noisier

I have been wearing them for about 10 years, currently using a Shoei Modular and I don't look at myself so don't know or care if it looks "dorky". It is comfortable and suits my needs and wants.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAVil-BYiqLkAb90Txutt9-Fz-FRyFZpKjR2Ww7Ku7_iv-f3MF.jpg

I own one of these, they are great. Full face on highway, open face around town.
The optional "jet plane" mask is also cool.
roof-bumper.jpg

roof-modular-helmet.jpg

Good lord dude...... That's horrible. I mean, it definitely gets the point across, but I feel bad for that guy. I can't even begin to imagine the pain involved in that one...

he looks like something from Resident Evil.... :laugh:

I know thats horrible but damn... nasty picture

I did quite a bit of research and the chin bars on most are as strong as unhinged solid chins. There are two main draw backs - more wind noise and the chin latch being depressed and thus opening during a crash. Many earlier models had potential issues with this short coming but most have been redesigned to make this very unlikely.

And of course you look dorky riding around with the lid up, but your not supposed to ride around with the lid up. It's so you can guzzle a 32oz beer at a gas stop with out having to take your helmet off:beerchug:

I have the scorpion 900 modular very happy with it. Never tested in a fall for riding purposes it was far superior to my full face, as stated I never wrecked with it. The helmet was actually quieter than my full face G-Max lid. Probably cause the GMax lids have so many vents.

Unlike other modular helmets this chin guard button needs to pulled instead of pushed like others reducing the risk of accidentally opening in a fall. Regardless the full face should provide a superior protection because it has no moving parts or hinges.

Mine has the fold down sun visor also and it just can't be beat for comfort taking a breather at a long light or heavy traffic, Chin gaurd can come off and turn into a 3/4 helmet.

I also bought this GIVI for using with my cruiser and I'm lovig it.
This Italian helmet moves the game further on.

Not as practical as my French Roof Helmet, but still a great one.
Check it out:

- Givi X.01 "XZero1" Motorcycle Helmet[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the scorpion 900 modular very happy with it. Never tested in a fall for riding purposes it was far superior to my full face, as stated I never wrecked with it. The helmet was actually quieter than my full face G-Max lid. Probably cause the GMax lids have so many vents.

Unlike other modular helmets this chin guard button needs to pulled instead of pushed like others reducing the risk of accidentally opening in a fall. Regardless the full face should provide a superior protection because it has no moving parts or hinges.

Mine has the fold down sun visor also and it just can't be beat for comfort taking a breather at a long light or heavy traffic, Chin gaurd can come off and turn into a 3/4 helmet.

me too :thumbsup: i love it.

pics nov 2010 394.jpg

pics nov 2010 404.jpg

though they are sweet the roof boxer helmets dont seem to be available in the states and they havent passed any snell or dot testing. Also they cost 397 dollars this is before shipping from overseas. If anyone has a lik to get one here in the states i would like to know.

if you like it, go with it! i could care less what people think of my gear. my only concern would be the integrity of the lid during a crash.

Back