Are modular helmets dorky???

yeah. wearing a full face helmet beats wearing a modular one. 35% of the impact in a fall hits somewhere in the chin area. You really want to make sure it won't collapse on you.

helmetcrashdiagram.gif

+1

My dad has one and he looks like that guy from Chips (or CHPS). whatever that show was (before me). :whistle:

but his is DOT and SNELL approved

You cant be much younger than me and i LOVED watching CHiPS when i was a kid ???

And no their arent nerdy, they are pretty cool

Unless something has changed in the last year or two NON of the modular helmets are certified to meet the safety requirements. They might meet DOT but of all the tests/results/reviews I saw they failed compared with a full face helmet. I did some research on them years ago because my parents love them and use them but I wished they didn't... :(

A significant impact to the face and that those things are gonna break, along with your face, jaw, nose, ect. And when it flys off as you tumble, your face turns to hamburger on the road.
The concept is cool, but only a benefit and a step up to those who are comfortable wearing an openface helmet. Consider how little impact it would take to break the hinges, they're just a little stronger than the ones for the sheild. Also consider how many crashed helmets have impact and rash on the sheild and facial area.
Not "dorky" just a personal choice. I'm not a gear nazi, sometimes I'm full leathers, sometimes I'm t-shirt and shorts with full face helmet and nike's. Up to you man.:beerchug:

Dorky no. Unsafe yes. I was shopping for helmets and saw one made by Nolan. I put it back on the shelf when I saw a sticker on the side that said the chip piece was not guaranteed to stay in place during a crash. That make it a 3/4 Helmet. One other thing people don't realize is if only one side lets go you now have a hard sharp piece of plastic pointed at your face so every time you roll it could take another stab at your face. I think I would take a 3/4 helmet over those odds. But I use a full face all the time.

A friend of mine had one, I watched him have a mishap... standing still. Some sort of foot kickstand mishap, tipover. He rides one of the BMW on road off road things, and they're really tall, and he ended up falling over with the bike. He knocked his head on the ground and the 'face shield' went bouncing accross the street.

I have only seen one modular involved in a serious crash and it held up and protected the riders face and chin. Doubtful they will ever offer the same protection as a true full face. Too many variables involved in a crash. Until Snell tests them it is hard to make a call on them.

very dorky!:poke: kinda like wearing a mohawk helmet. The modular is a good idea but it looks so damn dumb to me and not sure how well it would hold up in a accident.

Around here only the posers wear them.

You know the type, cruising the streets on their super-loud harley. Stopping at every light and looking around like, "Who sees me, who sees me? Do you see me? LOOK AT ME!"

I'm no poser and I wear one....sure I look super dorky when it's open but in the 115 degree desert heat of Arizona I need all the vents I can get.:thumbsup: Dory or not I love the crap out of mine. I would'nt worry about how it holds up either, I was wearing mine when I went down and smacked my head agaist the curb.... It didn't even crack and held up perfectly. That said they are not as good as a full face so yo need to weigh your options and risks, for me I will take the risk.

Last edited:
I own two and the wear them only when I ride my cruiser. I like the fact that I can open it when I gas up or go into the store. I also like the fact that I can talk and actually have a conversation with it on.

Now for poser status, I own a Shoei (graphics of course) when I ride my Busa. I wouldn't be caught dead with a modular flipped up while riding the Busa. It just doesn't feel right too me.

Now a question, Why do law enforcement officers wear a 3/4 helmet? MY Opinion is they are MORE unsafe than a Modular. If more head injuries are caused when the face or chin hit the ground, then a 3/4 helmet is even worse.:whistle:

Unless something has changed in the last year or two NON of the modular helmets are certified to meet the safety requirements. They might meet DOT but of all the tests/results/reviews I saw they failed compared with a full face helmet. I did some research on them years ago because my parents love them and use them but I wished they didn't... :(

Couldn't agree more. I never recommend modular's to anyone looking for helmet unless they specifically ask for one. They are great helmets for snowmobiling and a lot of Goldwing/touring crowd likes them, but they are a lot less prone to accidents than the sportbike group.

Unless it's extremely warm a few months out of the year where you live, I highly recommend a full face helmet

not worth the risk...
took a brick in the forehead when i went down on my old ninja-
you'll never see me wear anything but a true full-face-
i owe my life to them...:rulez:

There is no assurance an accident will involve the face or chin area. I can attest to that more than a few times in my life so far. Having said that, I like my modular. Especially being prone to sinus problems. I like being able to sneeze and wipe without having to remove my brain bucket. To each his own. :beerchug:

Back