Modular Helmets

Spectre

Donating Member
Registered
I am in the early stages of getting a new helmet and the more I look at the modulars the more interested I become. I can imagine the convenience of being able to flip the lid open to speak to someone, or even take a sip of water at a red light.

Is there anyone actively using these? what are your impressions? with more moving parts do you get blasted with a ton of wind noise?

any info will be appreciated.

I've been using a KBC FFR modular for almost a year. It is a bit noisier than a solid lid but the tradeoff is worth it to me. In fact I wore my HJC (non-modular) about a week ago and grumbled about it to myself the whole time.

One of the features that I like about the FFR is that you can ride with the chin open. I don't do it often, but occasionally in traffic I'll leave it up from light to light. I've got speakers mounted in it, no problems with volume until +90mph.

DSCN0310.JPG

I wear a Fulmer Modus. At the time I bought it, I had two criteria - comfort and solid color. It was the only one the dealer had that was both.

Fulmer recently had a recall on these, but the service was excellent - call for a return # and UPS got it the next day. The new on arrived a week later.

Whenever I begin to think it's too noisy, I just add my earplugs and the noise goes away.

YMMV, of course.

I just bought the newest model Shoei modular... Can't wait to try it out! I'm also curious as to the feedback your going to get in this thread. I thought the moduler could give me the best of both worlds, hopefully without to many sacrifices....

I looked at them months ago, no snell rating. forget the plus side of the helmet at this time, there was one, but I can't think of it.

Had a buddy destroy one in a parking lot stunt that went bad and ended in a helmet on crash with a pickup. His head survived fine, but the helmet was toast.

I have 2 of the fulmer modus and a agv modular the avg is way better less wind noise also ordered a new scorpion modular but its on back order till august

I have a Schuberth and all my riding buddies own at least one modular. Nothing wrong with 'em in my book.

HJC modular for me. It is great that you can just flip it up. You can talk, take a drink, smoke a cigarette. It you wear glasses its easier to put on. You don't have to pinch your temples. Just open it up and slide the helmet while you have the glasses on.

I will always have a modular.

I had one on ( HJC Symax) when I had an unplanned ejection @ 50 mph. Luckily it was not a serious incident as I landed on my head. Literally. I did a pile driver into the dirt in a ditch. I stood up and the helmet had popped open upon impact. My son and I had a great time throwing it in the air and watching it hit the concrete in the middle of the road. Wanted to make really sure nobody would pick it out of the garbage (where it belonged) and sell it of give it to another person to use. First thing it did while playing "watch it die" was open upon the first impact. then the face shield broke off followed by the filp up section.
While they are cool and some are built better than others, I'm not using one again. Ever.

Nolan N-102 is best modular I tried. Italian , most comfortable with dark shield. Two steel latches on both sides. Removable liner. Less noisy then full face ARAL Quantum/f
Fulmer and HJC is garbage IMO.

Schuberth is second close in my test, and it`s more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Modular helmet is better in slow (up to 60MPH) accidents. Better to broke the chin bar and jaw then your spine cord.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jun. 19 2007,01:08) Modular helmet is better in slow (up to 60MPH) accidents. Better to broke the chin bar and jaw then your spine cord.
Better to break nuttin'
crazy.gif

After many years of first Bell and then Arai (Signet GT/GTR and now Vector) I switched 3 months ago to a Shoei Multitec purely for city riding (tropical). A little noisier, considerably better for filling up gas / buying papers etc, a lot easier to put my glasses on! Not so good a platform for custom paint, but overall an excellent compromise for the work commute. If you're used to an Arai then the noise is worse and the airflow ever so slightly better. I would not like one for long distance rides "just in case"... but Shoei make a fine product in my view. As good in its way as Arai.

been using a fulmer modular helmet for about two years i wear glasses and the flip up made it a little quicker to use but the wind noise is really bad after more than a few hours on the highway you can still hear noise in your ears for a while just bought a hjc helmet and it is great quiet and fits better both are large dont think i'll be using a modular again

Back