Animals vs. bike

Hunt NXS

Registered
I see from a lot of pictures and stories of the great scenic/wilderness rides a lot of you take. However, I'd be worried not only of cages pulling out but wildlife jumping out in front of you. Ever happen?

I had a neighbors dog that always nipped at my feet when I rode by on the Hog. Well, one day he misjudged and ended up under the tires, not even a yelp.

I was riding with a friend and out of nowwhere from the tall grass on the side of the road 2 rabbits ran out.... the first one was no problem as it made it across the road, it was the second one that followed that i wasnt aware off that darted out as the first crossed. I was doing at least 60 mph when it hit a combination of my left foot, left peg and the rest of that area of the bike. My friend i was riding with that day said that the rabbit flew at least 60 feet before it landed back on the side of the road from which it started. I had to stop because i thought i had broken something it hurt so bad. Luckly my boot saved my toes and it was nothing more than a couple of "jammed" toes. Never found the rabbit...

Yeah, a deer ran out in front of me on January 3rd. I hit the darn forest rat at 60 mph. 5 broken bones and several joints dislocated I ended up in the trama center. I'm still in physical therapy and I will never be able to run again. At least I can walk and I'm now riding.

Steve

Keep this in mind when it comes to wild animals crossing the road. When you see one cross, it's likely that there will be more behind it. Always slow down as quickly as possible and never take for granted that there's only 1. Sometimes they have a hard time getting traction on asphalt with those hooves, and they can slip and slide like they are on ice if they try to change direction quickly. When this happens, they are likely to move in a direction you might never expect.

Also, headlights will make them freeze and stand in the road instead of moving on across, so keep that in mind also when riding after dark.

I see from a lot of pictures and stories of the great scenic/wilderness rides a lot of you take. However, I'd be worried not only of cages pulling out but wildlife jumping out in front of you. Ever happen?

I had a neighbors dog that always nipped at my feet when I rode by on the Hog. Well, one day he misjudged and ended up under the tires, not even a yelp.
Smart dog, he was trying to scare some sense into you.............telling you to get off that "hog"! LOL

Keep this in mind when it comes to wild animals crossing the road. When you see one cross, it's likely that there will be more behind it. Always slow down as quickly as possible and never take for granted that there's only 1. Sometimes they have a hard time getting traction on asphalt with those hooves, and they can slip and slide like they are on ice if they try to change direction quickly. When this happens, they are likely to move in a direction you might never expect.

Also, headlights will make them freeze and stand in the road instead of moving on across, so keep that in mind also when riding after dark.
Very good point...I ride in the woods all the time and believe me, if you see a deer, chances are there are 2 or 3 more wiating deeper in the woods waiting for the first one to be brave and cross. Once the first one does the others will dart accross right behind the first one.

When I see a deer I just assume that there are others that are suicidal as well and and slow down.

I tagged an owl at 65 hit nose above light bounced up and over hit top of helmet cause I saw it and ducked down otherwise would have got in the face/shield

I hit a large dog going about 60 mph. Broken front fender and bent forks cost me about $700 to get it fixed. I was able to stay upright thanks to the steering stabilizer. The dog was not so lucky.

I hit and ran over a Hawk and the Big Bird gave me a flat in the rear with his Tallon
down.gif

Hit a Deer. Trust me it sux. Thrashed my ZX-10 and had me walking funny for a few weeks.

I ride up back country roads alot , on the way to work . Almost daily , I have to dodge turkey , deer , rabbit , posseum and the dreaded yard dogs !
mad.gif

Jeez!  All of these animal stories.  I though the only animals I needed to watch for took left turns in front of me!
crazy.gif

I was on my bike early in the morning once doing around 60 with a passenger on the back. A pigeon flew out in front of me, hit me in the face, wrapped around my head and hit my passenger in the shoulder. Fortunately I was wearing my full-face helmet with the visor down. Nice bloody smear across the helmet. We were fine, the pigeon, not so good...

Ever heard of the Red Kangaroo?
It grows to over 7 feet tall!

I've never hit one or seen one on the road (they are only found far way out in the Australian outback), but a friend of mine drove past one in his car and thought it was a tree until it moved its head!

Back