A rebuild process

Winter is upon us, so you should take your time and research all that you do to ensure that you are doing things correctly. The stay is a piece of cheap trash. Throw it away and buy what actually fix correctly. If you find yourself having a hard time finding parts, search first and then ask for help. Take the Busa a part and assess all of the damage.

Winter is upon us, so you should take your time and research all that you do to ensure that you are doing things correctly. The stay is a piece of cheap trash. Throw it away and buy what actually fix correctly. If you find yourself having a hard time finding parts, search first and then ask for help. Take the Busa a part and assess all of the damage.
Some of the Chinese fairings out there aren't all that bad and they will get you on the road. Are there plans to paint the tank? If not there are tank covers that come with some fairings-have to be careful when you buy to make sure it is included.

the tank is in perfect shape, no dents or cracks at all. I planned to wrap it, the plastics I’m still trying to decide whom to go with as everyone has had their good and bad about a specific vendor.

@Sincere876

grin - cleaning

my hint was to pull the entire! swingarm to clean it into its smallest corners
and then you go to grease all! its bearings new and this pls every 4th year (after cleaning em deeply ;) )

when arm and wheel incl. new 2RS - bearings is in again
pull the fork, disassamble, clean deeply and put in new fork oil (evtl. incl. the seals, when older than ~8 years)
this replacement should be done every 4th year - if the oil is older its greasing ability is more or less only like water.

and, when fork is already out, replace
1st the damn ball bearings in the steering by tapered ones and grease em every 4th year new.
2nd the damn original rim bearings by "2RS" - types

don´t hurry - take time - wintertime is longer than a week ;)

good luck

@Sincere876

grin - cleaning

my hint was to pull the entire! swingarm to clean it into its smallest corners
and then you go to grease all! its bearings new and this pls every 4th year (after cleaning em deeply ;) )

when arm and wheel incl. new 2RS - bearings is in again
pull the fork, disassamble, clean deeply and put in new fork oil (evtl. incl. the seals, when older than ~8 years)
this replacement should be done every 4th year - if the oil is older its greasing ability is more or less only like water.

and, when fork is already out, replace
1st the damn ball bearings in the steering by tapered ones and grease em every 4th year new.
2nd the damn original rim bearings by "2RS" - types

don´t hurry - take time - wintertime is longer than a week ;)

good luck
I’m making notes of all this, thanks for all the info

I’m making notes of all this, thanks for all the info
Have you kind of sort of thought about what color scheme you're going with yet?

Other than the obvious cost, shopping for all new stuff is fun...kind of like putting together a model or something...

I bought a wrecked bike once as I couldn't resist-it only had 500kms on it...I had it running and mostly put together in a couple weeks.

The guy I bought it off was pissed off he didn't charge me more (I paid $700 for it) but he admitted he could have never fixed it himself and it would have cost an arm and leg to get it done...at the time I was a young, single soldier living in the barracks so had lots of time and money to throw at it.

It was a '86 GSXR 750 Slingshot and I built it right in my room in the barracks as I was in a single room on the ground floor.

I feel your excitement and desire to resurrect this bike....

Have you kind of sort of thought about what color scheme you're going with yet?

Other than the obvious cost, shopping for all new stuff is fun...kind of like putting together a model or something...

I bought a wrecked bike once as I couldn't resist-it only had 500kms on it...I had it running and mostly put together in a couple weeks.

The guy I bought it off was pissed off he didn't charge me more (I paid $700 for it) but he admitted he could have never fixed it himself and it would have cost an arm and leg to get it done...at the time I was a young, single soldier living in the barracks so had lots of time and money to throw at it.

It was a '86 GSXR 750 Slingshot and I built it right in my room in the barracks as I was in a single room on the ground floor.

I feel your excitement and desire to resurrect this bike....
I’ve had a few different ideas, it will be black in some context with a secondary color not sure what this will be as of yet. Still mulling ideas of sorts. At this point she is a blank canvas, I get to sculpt her in the way I see. Am I excited hell yea, I love working on bikes and cars but my Benz isn’t a pull out a wrench and work on it type vehicle. I already have my eye on another bike and I’ll have my kids wrench in that one as well

Decided to get the wash done while I waited for FedEx. Vortex rear stand and a power stands front stand. I order all the maintenance items I needed which should be here in the next few days or so. Going to do the test ride tomorrow as the rain has finally stopped. It’s has a swing arm extension and I double check the torque specs on that, as well as the chain actually seems fairly need and has the inch to inch and a half of play. The plastics will come off Monday and she’ll be naked to see what lies beneath.

7D881F28-CDA8-40E9-9282-DE6B5E8F8C7C.jpeg

Looks to be in pretty decent shape other than the plastics...it will be really nice to see it all back together and out in the wind again...

I got the stay mounted but if you know, there is a hex bolt that you have thread a bolt threw. That mess does not work, so I ended up cutting that clasp that holds the bolt, threading the bolt threw and attaching the bolt on the other side. I added some blue RTV and now it holds up nice and tight.

look like a battery tender end

Exactly right.
...or electric vest,etc. For now it will be good to have that 50 dolla 180CCA batt on tender.
Awesome to know that. I got the battery in right as I posted the last one. I put in her, she fired right up. I took video but I’ll stick it on my Instagram page. Cluster reads well, no lights, full tank of gas maybe, it reads full but who knows, reads all the gears, time is correct and so is the mileage. She sounds pretty angry, lol

View attachment 1629519

Nagini Start-up.

Don't mind the toes, I was writing some Python code and ran into my garage to get her started
Not sure what the crescent wrench (in yer vid) is for. Did you have a jar of pickles to open or something? Don't go near yer Busa again with that thing or me and you...we gonna have words...
cursin.gif
:D
How long has the bike been sitting? If its been over a few months you may want to do a couple things,before running it again. Like drain the old gas,fill with fresh and add some injector cleaner and change the oil and filter. Dont cheap out on fuel and oil like you did that battery :poke: Busa's like the good stuff...I only run 94 and full syn Amsoil. Its a personal preference thing,cept maybe the fuel octane rating.
The beast has awoken,cool,
Rubb.

(...) I added some blue RTV and now it holds up nice and tight.

following my experiences of more than 30 years i say - be very carful , frugal up to stingy with adding a threadlocker (loctite or so)

it might cause issues in the future when u wanna loosen screws again !

read the manual and only use any kind of lockers where the manual it prescribes.

tightened with the prescribed torque, no screw / nut will loosen.

yes i know ;) - some of the members here will cry now for :popcorn: and :drink:

BUT PLEASE ! have an eye at your clutch no matter if it was a gen1 or gen2 clutch - the issue is always the same at ALL models from ´99 - ´20 - believe in me - i tested it dozens of times and in "999/1000" times mostly the "studs" were not "glued in" like the all manuals tell (prescribe) ya for the situation you renew some things at the clutch basket etc. gen1 at page 3-111 / gen2 at page 5C-18
see, read this page, the pics there and follow the hints !
and fear the sometimes financially fatal consequences / results shown by the pics there.

yes, I admit it - it's a little conspiracy theory, but ...
sometimes i really think the manufacturers want to practically pre-program such immense damage, because why do they describe the gluing-in as a prescription in all busa manuals but do not do this in the factory.

damn - we found not-glued studs and 2 of 6 loosen studs at a 1/2 year old and fresh from the factory , ´14 (k4), gen2 - so nobody should argue against this hint.

...or electric vest,etc. For now it will be good to have that 50 dolla 180CCA batt on tender.

Not sure what the crescent wrench (in yer vid) is for. Did you have a jar of pickles to open or something? Don't go near yer Busa again with that thing or me and you...we gonna have words...View attachment 1629593 :D
How long has the bike been sitting? If its been over a few months you may want to do a couple things,before running it again. Like drain the old gas,fill with fresh and add some injector cleaner and change the oil and filter. Dont cheap out on fuel and oil like you did that battery :poke: Busa's like the good stuff...I only run 94 and full syn Amsoil. Its a personal preference thing,cept maybe the fuel octane rating.
The beast has awoken,cool,
Rubb.

I did buy a battery tender it’ll be here with a few other maintence pieces, waiting for the oil hopefully by Monday I’ll have it. I wanted to a test ride but can’t, she’s dry. I checked the case thinking maybe there was a hole but nothing, but I can there maybe a little in it I’m not wanting to risk taking a 5min ride. I’m not clear as to how long she’s been sitting, the tank at least from the gauge is full, but I’ll need to be drained to be safe. Just like all the fluids which I have on the way.

following my experiences of more than 30 years i say - be very carful , frugal up to stingy with adding a threadlocker (loctite or so)

it might cause issues in the future when u wanna loosen screws again !

read the manual and only use any kind of lockers where the manual it prescribes.

tightened with the prescribed torque, no screw / nut will loosen.

yes i know ;) - some of the members here will cry now for :popcorn: and :drink:

BUT PLEASE ! have an eye at your clutch no matter if it was a gen1 or gen2 clutch - the issue is always the same at ALL models from ´99 - ´20 - believe in me - i tested it dozens of times and in "999/1000" times mostly the "studs" were not "glued in" like the all manuals tell (prescribe) ya for the situation you renew some things at the clutch basket etc. gen1 at page 3-111 / gen2 at page 5C-18
see, read this page, the pics there and follow the hints !
and fear the sometimes financially fatal consequences / results shown by the pics there.

yes, I admit it - it's a little conspiracy theory, but ...
sometimes i really think the manufacturers want to practically pre-program such immense damage, because why do they describe the gluing-in as a prescription in all busa manuals but do not do this in the factory.

damn - we found not-glued studs and 2 of 6 loosen studs at a 1/2 year old and fresh from the factory , ´14 (k4), gen2 - so nobody should argue against this hint.

I saw a video on YouTube about a guy having to torque down some clutch bolts because they started to hit the cover. I want to say he set them down to 7ft/lbs I’ll have to check it again but that sure is on my list

Back