A rebuild process

Sincere876

Registered
All bikes deserve a second chance and this bike will have that. 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa with 16k mikes. It’s been down, but the frame shows zero cracks including the swing arm which does have a stretch. When it showed up from Denver it almost started but I bought a new battery anyway. It’s a project build with a salvage title. She will be happily named, Nagini. If you can tell from the images it’s in purple and green for the Dark Knight Joker my favorite movie. I’ll have more images in the morning.

E5987E8F-5CAA-4EF5-A1A0-1CCF8CC11D52.jpeg

C31EC1A6-4858-4829-BD08-07305D1ABCEA.jpeg

D24412C1-827A-4A6E-B125-BC38121CA18E.jpeg

@Sincere876 . . . So what's the plan? Race it or road bike?
How hard is it to get it registered for road use again, in the USA?
Depending where u live is not hard at all, you just end up with a salvage title here in Michigan and go register and drive it down the road. You wouldn't believe how many cars around me you see being driven around smashed up and rotted out or with bent frames so bad you can see it riding dog legged down the street.

Depending where u live is not hard at all, you just end up with a salvage title here in Michigan and go register and drive it down the road. You wouldn't believe how many cars around me you see being driven around smashed up and rotted out or with bent frames so bad you can see it riding dog legged down the street.
@Sincere876 . . . So what's the plan? Race it or road bike?
How hard is it to get it registered for road use again, in the
So, it will be a road bike for sure. To get it registered in Florida I need to fill out this form and provide pictures as it is now and after it’s considered road worthy and they’ll let me get a tag and such for it. It’s a pretty quick process.

So, it will be a road bike for sure. To get it registered in Florida I need to fill out this form and provide pictures as it is now and after it’s considered road worthy and they’ll let me get a tag and such for it. It’s a pretty quick process.
As long as what's straight as needs to be, it's just money and plastic to fix it....still always sad to see one all beat up.....

All bikes deserve a second chance and this bike will have that. 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa with 16k mikes. It’s been down, but the frame shows zero cracks including the swing arm which does have a stretch. When it showed up from Denver it almost started but I bought a new battery anyway. It’s a project build with a salvage title. She will be happily named, Nagini. If you can tell from the images it’s in purple and green for the Dark Knight Joker my favorite movie. I’ll have more images in the morning.

View attachment 1629415

View attachment 1629416

View attachment 1629417
Welcome to the forum from the Tampa area. Looking forward to the pics of the rebuild and final product. Good luck!

In my country of NZ, It’s a very strict compliance criteria and a lot of very expensive paper work to get a vehicle back on the road as a legally registered roadworthy vehicle after any sort of accident damage.
Sure, you can drive a crashed vehicle but you’ll get stopped by police pretty quickly and towed and a big fine.
Rough looking cars and bikes get targeted and pulled over a lot, and nowadays the country’s fleet is looking very tidy.
Keep posting info on the rebuild, we are all interested in seeing the transformation!

As long as what's straight as needs to be, it's just money and plastic to fix it....still always sad to see one all beat up.....
So far the only thing that is actually bent is this piece that attaches the cluster. I just picked up a battery, and all the maintenance pieces to do for this weekend. From there give her a quick test ride and see how she feels.

6D8FA354-D6DE-44EF-A977-ED2733A953A8.jpeg

In my country of NZ, It’s a very strict compliance criteria and a lot of very expensive paper work to get a vehicle back on the road as a legally registered roadworthy vehicle after any sort of accident damage.
Sure, you can drive a crashed vehicle but you’ll get stopped by police pretty quickly and towed and a big fine.
Rough looking cars and bikes get targeted and pulled over a lot, and nowadays the country’s fleet is looking very tidy.
Keep posting info on the rebuild, we are all interested in seeing the transformation!
I am definitely going to keep posting that's for sure, got to document it all, and might as do it with those more experience than I

So far the only thing that is actually bent is this piece that attaches the cluster. I just picked up a battery, and all the maintenance pieces to do for this weekend. From there give her a quick test ride and see how she feels.

View attachment 1629426
Minimal repairs lol !
You are obviously well versed in mechanical repairs and general engineering work, is this your hobby or profession?

Minimal repairs lol !
You are obviously well versed in mechanical repairs and general engineering work, is this your hobby or profession?

Not as well versed as many of you. LOL. From what I could have purchased to what I have now, I'll consider this to be minimal. My biggest concern was the frame, and its neither both nor cracked, I pulled the forks and they are straight so for the most part, so far so good. This is primarily a hobby, once my kids got a little older, I bought a project bike and here we are.

What about insurance? I know it's not required on bikes in FL, but I wasn't sure if they shrugged at the sight of a salvage title...lot of cheap rides with them!

What about insurance? I know it's not required on bikes in FL, but I wasn't sure if they shrugged at the sight of a salvage title...lot of cheap rides with them!
This bike for sure will be insured. Granted I don’t need to, but better safe than sorry. I reached out to my provider and they said as long as it gets registered they’d insure it

Frame sliders off and the upper fairing mount off. These T-Rex sliders literally saved this bike and the ten pounds of Denver dirty and gravel I find all throughout the fairings and other nooks and crannies.

686037DA-806D-4CF9-ABCA-5DFCC777DECA.jpeg

image.jpg

Most of that will buff right out. :laugh: J/K I like yer approach. You cannot eyeball a frame,swingarm or forks and judge them to be perfect straight or not. But a test ride before spending a dime is a good first step. If it rides straight go for it. Crashing in gravel can be worse that going down on the asphalt or concrete as there can be lumps and bumps on the ground that can tweek things worse. All in all,it dont look that bad. The cost of plastics will be the big one.Yer sliders indicate it did some sliding on the road,but most of it "off road." Yer extended arm is just the bolt on type,(bolted on extentions) I'd lose that right outa the gate. It wont help you with a proper diagnostic test ride anyway.Seen worse carnage,fairly easy fix. The gauge cluster took a hard it....dont be surprized if something in the front end got tweaked.Perhaps just the legs in the tree's,maybe the stanchion tubes,maybe nothing. If yer test ride doesn't feel 100% good,maybe start with the front forks. Disassemble and take a dial run out gauge to them. Yer on the right forum that's for sure. Looks like "no biggie" at all. We've got the "before's"...look forward to the "after's"...
Rubb.

Most of that will buff right out. :laugh: J/K I like yer approach. You cannot eyeball a frame,swingarm or forks and judge them to be perfect straight or not. But a test ride before spending a dime is a good first step. If it rides straight go for it. Crashing in gravel can be worse that going down on the asphalt or concrete as there can be lumps and bumps on the ground that can tweek things worse. All in all,it dont look that bad. The cost of plastics will be the big one.Yer sliders indicate it did some sliding on the road,but most of it "off road." Yer extended arm is just the bolt on type,(bolted on extentions) I'd lose that right outa the gate. It wont help you with a proper diagnostic test ride anyway.Seen worse carnage,fairly easy fix. The gauge cluster took a hard it....dont be surprized if something in the front end got tweaked.Perhaps just the legs in the tree's,maybe the stanchion tubes,maybe nothing. If yer test ride doesn't feel 100% good,maybe start with the front forks. Disassemble and take a dial run out gauge to them. Yer on the right forum that's for sure. Looks like "no biggie" at all. We've got the "before's"...look forward to the "after's"...
Rubb.
This whole process is a front to back. Started with why it would turn right, okay the upper fairing mount is bent to hell, removed and purchased another. Does it have power yes, cluster works, horn works, lights work, turn signals work, check, needs a battery, roger that. Both front and rear brakes feel good at the lever, and then have movement upon first inspection. No leaks so far, but we'll see once I get deeper into it. All in all, I am pretty happy how things look and feel to this point.

@Sincere876 borrow or buy a battery,get it fired up,get the test ride done before you spend money on things like fairing mounts. Those parts are down the road things. Just my 02.
Put up an ad in the wanted section. Most guys are pretty good at letting stuff go free or cheap that they no longer need. Most just ask for the shipping. Things you'll need that others have upgraded. IE mirrors,windscreen,bar ends,stock rear sets,drag racers might have tail plastic,noses,etc...if cash is a non-issue for you,then disregard,
Rubb.

@Sincere876 borrow or buy a battery,get it fired up,get the test ride done before you spend money on things like fairing mounts. Those parts are down the road things. Just my 02.
Put up an ad in the wanted section. Most guys are pretty good at letting stuff go free or cheap that they no longer need. Most just ask for the shipping. Things you'll need that others have upgraded. IE mirrors,windscreen,bar ends,stock rear sets,drag racers might have tail plastic,noses,etc...if cash is a non-issue for you,then disregard,
Rubb.
I bought a battery before the bike even showed up. When it did to my surprised it had power, and almost started, but not enough juice, even after trying to charge it. The battery is supposed to be here tomorrow, but we have this pesky Hurricane/Tropical Storm moving in this general direction, so that maybe on hold until Friday or so. Replacing the mount was necessary as she didn't have full range to the right, and it was an inexpensive fix, to at least mount the cluster, which works just fine, so see if any codes would be thrown on the initial test ride.

Back