ZX12 what do you think of it?

No problem, Jamie. It'd be good if every thread was a bit more like this one.

Actually motoboy, the scoop on the ZX-12 is the opposite of an afterthought...it is pure function. Graceless it is, I agree with that, but it is arrow-straight and stuck right out into the highest air-pressure sweet-spot in front of the bike. Kawasaki knows what they are doing with ram-air, that's a fact. If it works well, I don't care too much what it looks like.

Assuming 180 crank HP is an accurate figure, that is 150 HP per liter, which is in line with the R1. The current group of smaller sportbikes put out more power per liter than that. That prompts a question...why shouldn't the 'Busa motor produce around 195 crank HP from the factory? It has the extra cc's. I doubt that the ZX-12 motor has to be strung very tight to produce 180 hp from the factory. It seems like the truth is that the Hayabusa motor is in quite a mild state of tune.

Gentlemen...What a great time to be alive for catching very fast wind!

It's going to be very exciting to see the actual tests unfold, kinda of like watching the Ali-Frazier "Thriller in Manilla", it doesn't matter who you rooted for, you're going to see a great battle. Never under estimate the "other guys."

The only thing which can stop us is overzealous insurance companies and/or government regulations....it won't be bike technology.

I like the Abuser and the ZX12. When Sport Rider rag does their tests on both (you know Kent and company will beat the piss out of both bikes), then I'll decide which is best to me. If it is faster than the Abuser, it's going to be onehelluva badass bike! I think it will depend on what you like in a bike as to which one you choose as your favorite...
Later,
Nailz

Jamie now you learned the trick. Don't post a putdown, ask a question. It's amazing the intelligent responses you get. Thanx for starting this post.

We live in tough times guys. Now I have to decide between a red 180hp ZX12 or a red&grey '00 Busa. If the prices are close it's going to be tough. I like the Bus's styling and I will ride an Interstate on a daily basis so the long wheelbase is an advantage. But the 12 is hot too. Tough decisions. It sounds like actual delivery times will be about the same, Feb '00.

I am really pleased to see a good top speed/quarter mile World War brewing with lots of heavy countries weighing in.

Reliable POWER is the thing many riders want most, and the one thing that's not had enough attention paid to it by manufacturers.

Handling can only move forward in tiny steps because GP racing tuners have shown manufacturers the way and they've quickly adopted the learning. And future handling progress is also limited by apparently unsolveable issues of weight, tires and the built-in cornering limitations of bikes.

But power is another issue. The only limiting factors here are public policy concerns and manufacturer liability, because the builders know how to get 200 hp/litre with enough reliability to satisfy serious performance bike owners.

Riders like POWER a lot because a bike designed primarily to go fast in a relatively straight line (as opposed to a 996 or R1) is a bike that more riders can enjoy in greater safety and with fewer road racing skills.

Raw power is also more applicable for street use than GP handling.

My motto on street and water has always been "There is no such thing as too much horsepower."

I'm hoping for 300 hp from 1.5 litres in a 500 lb. bike while I'm still young enough to hold on!

My only question is: Where is Yamaha in the this World War of Power? Are they the new Switzerland?

They [Yam] seem to be doing pretty well with the R1. Rumors of a sport touring version of the R1 are still popping up. They are currently making a lot of money filling the hard core track bike niche. I agree with your opinions on handling/straight line speed DP. There just aren't enough good curves around these parts to justify an R1 type bike that I would be uncomfortable on. The Busa is well suited to the local open spaces, rolling hills and desolated stretches perfect for 180+mph runs. The Busa eats up the interstate leasding to Dallas and OKC. Strap on a V1 crank the throttle and hang on! :)

Sorry about that Fellas, I went out of one thread and into another and I didn't realize what thread I was posting in till I hit the Submit button. I tried to edit it but it's not showing it to me yet.

As for this thread, I must say I am highly impressed. You guys almost brought a tear to my eye. I didn't know you had it in ya! I'm used to comming here and seeing everyone flame each other (Busa owner or not) It's nice to finally see someone (me even) mention the ZX12R without the possie being called in. Thanks Guys it is/was refreshing.

No black ZX12R!!?? ERrr.. I don't want one then. Gotta have a black one. Did you guys see the new ZX9 pics. Very sexy. Too bad the ZX12 doesn't look like that.

Aerodynamics, it's easy to look at a shape and say it looks Aero or not but unless you work in a wind tunnel your brain might be wrong. Remember the old Jaguar XKEs? They look slippery but they really aren't. If I do get a ZX12 I know the first mod will be to poop can that rear fender.

Thanks Again Fellas,
Jamie

Pete, 200 hp per liter is easily reachable with technology which should be available within the next decade or so. There was a good article on electromagnetic valve systems in the British publication Motorcycleworld. The address was www.motorcycleworld.co.uk. I don't have the page address of the article beyond that, but it was called "So you think the R1 is fast? Think again." You should find it if you click on the "features" button.

Electromagnetic valve systems would completely eliminate cams and cam chains, and digitally-controlled variable valve timing would give optimum valve profiles through the entire rev range, a major advance over anything available today, like the Honda V-Tec system. It is not really a question of if, it is a question of when. The advances are going to just keep coming. Oh boo-hoo...breaks my heart.

Back