You'll be BLUE with envy...

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
So I ordered a custom GIpro Gear Indicator/ATRE.

It is huge, which means it's very visible.  It's also <span style='color:blue'>BLUE</span> which I like.  Here are a couple of pics.

The first one shows how bright it is, and the second pic while a bit washed out, shows my original Acumen DG8.

The things I love about this unit are:
1. It's friggin' instantaneous.  The DG8 was slow to update, and if you were down-shifting would sometimes give erroneous readouts.

2. It's huge and bright..  It's much easier to see.  The guys at Healtech do fantastic work.  The unit also doubles as an ATRE.

3. Easy as hell to install/config.  There was no configuration needed for the gear indicator.  It just "knew".  
smile.gif

Another odd benefit is that the way my unit is arranged with respect to my double-bubble is that there's a reflection that's in the middle of my view.  It's like a HUD if you know what I mean.

Very cool toy!  I'm selling my old ATRE and DG8 if anyone is interested.  They're posted on the auction site.

GIpro_1.jpg

I can't figure out how to get multiple pics on one post, so here's the comparison to the Acumen DG8.

GIpro_2.jpg

It was around $200 because it's a custom pre-production unit. If anyone is using the DG8, I would highly recommend the GIpro.

I have received nothing but the best support from the folks at Healtech (they make both the GIpro and Speedohealer).

I didn't know they made gear indicators that worked for the Busa. What is a good brand to get that won't run so expensive?

It is cool.
beerchug.gif

To be honest with you,I got the Acumen. I neatly/stealthly installed it in the mirror.What I found out later is that the Acumen totally SUX! You come to a stop light,it starts to do the swirly thing.You downshift from 3rd to 2nd,and in between the update is shows as 5th for a couple seconds,and then finally shows up as 2nd!!! The other day it was doing the swirly thing while I was driving!!

I would never recommend the Acumen to anyone period.
On another note,if I did buy the GI pro,can it be used without using the TRE function? I will never run a TRE on my bike.
Also,is it plug and play,or do ya gotta do a splice thing?

thanks

Thanks for the tips BrendAnp. Nice write up Juggler.
It doesn't sound like the Acumen is as good as I imagined. Perhaps the GIpro is a better choice.

beerchug.gif

The GIpro is definitely the way to go. It far surpasses the Acumen in accuracy (the right gear), and speed (no delay).

I don't know what the final cost is going to be, but I would check the GIpro.net site often as the blue version should be officially released soon.

THEPUSHERCG was correct. Absolutely NO SPLICING. Plug and play. The hardest part is determining where it's to be located.

yea i have a acumen its good but the gi sounds better. will upgrade someday

(brendanp @ Oct. 22 2006,10:09) To be honest with you,I got the Acumen. I neatly/stealthly installed it in the mirror.What I found out later is that the Acumen totally SUX! You come to a stop light,it starts to do the swirly thing.You downshift from 3rd to 2nd,and in between the update is shows as 5th for a couple seconds,and then finally shows up as 2nd!!! The other day it was doing the swirly thing while I was driving!!

I would never recommend the Acumen to anyone period.
On another note,if I did buy the GI pro,can it be used without using the TRE function? I will never run a TRE on my bike.
Also,is it plug and play,or do ya gotta do a splice thing?

thanks
Bren, The GI Pro is completely plug & play. If you don't get all fancy and want to velcro it somewhere you'll be riding after 10 mins. You can run it with no tre, 5th gear map or 6th gear map. I'm assuming that the 6th gear map will allow the tre function but not turn off the top speed restrictor.

Back