You guys in the Blue Ridge Mts are lucky.

crepitus

Registered
Just got back from a trip to Lexington, Va. My wife shows horses so I joined her for this show. It was about 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Highway. RT 60 is where I entered. I wish I brought my bike. Next year it will be in the back of the truck. Awesome roads down there.

You need to make a Spring or Fall Bash my brother or at the very least get up with the guys that ride Virginia or West Virginia guys. :bowdown:

I rode Skyline Drive last July. With an enforced 35 MPH speed limit the ride wasn't about cornering....it was just flat out beautiful. Lucky thing for the slow pace because a large black bear ran in front of me. Any faster and I would have hit it, and then it would have killed me.
I went on a Tuesday morning, so traffic wasn't too bad at the start. But by the afternoon I was getting behind slow moving campers and trucks, and I mean really slow moving. With the twisties it was difficult finding a place to pass, even double yellow passing. As such I wouldn't recommend going on weekends.

Very nice scenery around the area. Slow speed limits (strictly enforced) and lots of deer and bear keep you on your toes.

I live right near the parkway and travel it often. One evening my wife and I ran through over 100 deer on the way home in a 20 mile stretch (this many are not so common, but always see a few)

We actually had to stop at least 3 times to wait for deer to move out of the way. One did not want to move off the yellow line, I stopped, blew the horn and reved the motor and still almost had to get off the bike to push him off the road.

Another had been hit but still alive. We got off the bike and with another motorist help we moved her to the shoulder. Called the Game Warden and let him know where she was.

traffic probably had to do with when you went. it was like a ghost town there last weekend. the traffic i did see was just bikes.

You might have seen me... I was on Rt 60 Sunday on my ZRX with my GF. 60 is one of my favorite roads... Lots of turns and lean, not many cops or motorists... :D

Next time you're up here with the bike, shoot me a PM, we'll meet up and I'll show you some roads. I live about 30 min from lexington.

Next time you're up here with the bike, shoot me a PM, we'll meet up and I'll show you some roads. I live about 30 min from lexington.
And all your DC-metro bretheren. Skyline is just a hop and a skip away. Lots of good roads around that area with beautiful scenery if you want to ride faster.

Back