Woah!  Check out this engine!

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
me likey!

http://www.coatesengine.com/

pic06.jpg

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine is the most advanced in the world, with the most positive valving system ever built. The breathing capabilities of the system are almost double that of a poppet valve. For instance: a static test of a five-litre poppet valve engine on an airflow machine produced a reading of 133 cubic feet per minute (CFM) with valve fully opened. The five-litre Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine on the same machine, however, produced a reading of 319 CFMs fully opened; a colossal advantage in airflow comparison. A five-litre poppet vavle engine tested on a dynomometer under the same loads and conditions at 5500 produced 480 BHP and 454 foot pounds of torque. The maximum RPMs on the poppet valve engine were 5700 RPMs; the Spherical Rotary Valve Engine in comparison reached 14,850 RPM's, The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve comprises two spherical rotary valves assembled on two separate shafts - one for inlet and one for exhaust. They rotate on ceramic carbon bearing with no oil lubrication, the spheres do not make contact with any part of the housing. The seals are a floating type and are also made of a ceramic material. They have two piston rings and are floating in a small cylinder-type chamber, they are activated by the compression and the combustion strokes of the engine which allows 100 percent sealing effectiveness, when compressed.

Because the valves rotate away from the combustion chamber and are vented and charged on the opposite side of each sphere, this creates a lower combustion chamber temperature, allowing for higher compression ratios to be used thus creating an extremely efficient engine. Some of the Coates Spherical Rotary Combustion Engines are at 12 to 1, 13 to 1, 14 to 1 and 15 to 1 compression ratios depending on the application.[/quote]

lol watch the motorcycle video. The engine sounds like crap. Its like something from a cartoon. lol

I believe the reason that the motorcycle sounds like that is because it's a very poor quality video, most likely sounds better in person

I was thinking the same thing.. Pretty cool concept tho. just think a street Busa motor running 15:1 compression on pump gas. Talk about bottom end!!!!

I'd love to see performance numbers after real world testing.. Wonder if the Five liter motor used for testing is a Small Block Ford?

Here's something i don't understand. They put the latest in high tech valves on an ancient design engine. Seems odd to me. It would be like putting variable valve timing on a 48'flathead ford engine. I bet this valve setup would work much better with an inline 4.

Back