winters kill batteries.

steelhead

Registered
Cold bad. Battery die. very sad. too, too...sad.

Long story short...I knew it was dying, it just didn't crank with the same gusto it used to. Then, one fine morning, it just cranked so so slowly. In the winter, weak cranking is simply bad news: "rrrr... rrrr. rrr, rr...r.."

My advice to all those in the winter riding their bikes is this: if it sounds like crap, recharge it. Still sounds a little crappy - it's just not worth the aggravation of waiting for it to finally go kaput!

really.

"Hint hint" your best bet next time would be to invest in a battery tender and plug it in when its parked (spring,summer,fall and winter).

Since I park in remote garage and can't use the battery tender at that location, I always disconnect the battery after each ride (takes a few minutes).

In the middle of winter, I bring the battery into the house and put it on the tender to keep it charged.

(05 Busa LE @ Jan. 15 2007,09
super.gif
) Since I park in remote garage and can't use the battery tender at that location, I always disconnect the battery after each ride (takes a few minutes).  

In the middle of winter, I bring the battery into the house and put it on the tender to keep it charged.
Jerry rigg an exterior weather proof  pwr outlet box coming off the  overhead light. If your worried about doing it yourself just ask or bribe your apartment maint guy with the materials,a six pack of beer
beerchug.gif
and some change to install an outlet coming of the overhead light.  
wink.gif

Wont hurt to ask !!
super.gif

super.gif

Battery Tender Good, Battery Strong!

I now have (3) Battery Tenders, 6v for my '61 Panhead and (2) 12v for the 'Busa and my Road King. Regular use of the Battery Tender will keep your batteries young....FOREVER! Well nearly.

(Rhythm @ Jan. 15 2007,12:39)
(05 Busa LE @ Jan. 15 2007,09
super.gif
) Since I park in remote garage and can't use the battery tender at that location, I always disconnect the battery after each ride (takes a few minutes).  

Jerry rigg an exterior weather proof  pwr outlet box coming off the  overhead light. If your worried about doing it yourself just ask or bribe your apartment maint guy with the materials,a six pack of beer  
beerchug.gif
and some change to install an outlet coming of the overhead light.  
wink.gif

Wont hurt to ask !!
super.gif
Nice suggestion, Rhythm!

super.gif

Btw, when it won't start in first gear but will in neutral, it is the sign that showed me the battery was near gone.

live in an apartment, so no tender. thanks for the advice about disconnecting, but i have an alarm.

sh.
beerchug.gif

(steelhead @ Jan. 16 2007,01:43) Btw, when it won't start in first gear but will in neutral, it is the sign that showed me the battery was near gone.

live in an apartment, so no tender. thanks for the advice about disconnecting, but i have an alarm.  

sh.
beerchug.gif
rock.gif

I thought the cold made them hold charge longer?

I know of many companies that store their batterys in a fridge...

I know, I know... you may not believe it, but when that battery is near dead, it is harder to crank your motorcycle from first than from neutral. You may not know until you've been in my situation. The winter vest killed the battery real good. Super bad morning starts, totally slow crank.

Now, with the brand new battery, ALL these problems are gone. I was so afraid it would be starter, bent clutch plates, you name it. But at the end of the day, a new battery gave me nice strong morning cranks and a nice electric heated vest experience.

My 2 cents worth.
super.gif

Back