Winter Projects...looking to add

jdbrown12

Registered
Well it's that time of year in Iowa and I'm starting to get my winter projects lined up. So far I have this planned for my 06 LE:

- Seal air intakes
- HID kit
- strip and polish all peg sets
- strip and polish wheels (new rubber going on too)
- ZZZ EK Chain with new Vortex Sprockets (gear change)

Now 2 other things that I have been eyeing:

- Electric/Air Shifter - whats the feedback with these. I have rode 1 Honda that had it and loved it. Do they get old or difficult to use in any conditions? (I rode the bike home from a bar for a buddy when I lived outside Chicago) Also is Air or electric the way to go? Also been told that "Pingel" is the way to go? Is this true? Any others to consider? I have been given a price of $579 shipped for the electric Pingel system.

- Shock/Spring - Im 220-200# lbs depending on where I am in my training. This summer was the first time I was 220# though. My wife is 125# and rides with me once in a blue moon, she'd rather go in the Vette. I think the stock set up is a hard and would like to soften it up. Any ideas? Something that is not going to be so soft that if the wifey does go im not replacing an undertail...also the bike is lowered front and rear 2". I've been looking at the OHLINS - SU 406 but think the 1300$/sh is a little steap and could possibly be shot by the wife for spending the money. Side 2 of the story...I have been told to just deal with it and not worry about it, I think it rides stiff because I ride my '97 Road King to much.

So generally...shifters - worth it? which brands? air/electric?
spring/shock - worth it? which brands? just shock or just spring?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I will admit Im new to the cycle world. Only been riding 5 yrs and never turned a wrench on a bike til this spring. I can tare a car/truck/boat to the ground and build it back up...just learning with bikes...have manuals and pics, will learn.

- Jonathon :1zhelp:

If you're mostly street ridding I would say to get the rear shock and have the fork revalved and resprung. Use the money you were going to use for the shifter to upgrade the front forks.

If you have to go with a shifter I would say go with a co2 system from cycle-tek. The best upgrade would be to get a boost-by-smith tuning kit so that the airshifter works in conjunction with the OE ECU (no ignition kill box needed). This kind of a setup will give you the smoothest up-shifts. This kind of a setup adds the least amount of "junk in the trunk". :beerchug:

If you get the ecu editor (tuning kit) then when you're ready to do some tuning you don't have anything else to purchase.

Last edited:
If you're mostly street ridding I would say to get the rear shock and have the fork revalved and resprung. Use the money you were going to use for the shifter to upgrade the front forks.

If you have to go with a shifter I would say go with a co2 system from cycle-tek. The best upgrade would be to get a boost-by-smith tuning kit so that the airshifter works in conjunction with the OE ECU (no ignition kill box needed). This kind of a setup will give you the smoothest up-shifts. This kind of a setup adds the least amount of "junk in the trunk". :beerchug:

If you get the ecu editor (tuning kit) then when you're ready to do some tuning you don't have anything else to purchase.

Agreed :thumbsup:

Back