Windscreen bolt problem...

Golden

Banned
Has anyone ever had a problem with their windscreen bolts and that rubber gourmet that you put in the hole to tighten the windscreen? I never had a problem before but now the bolts will not tighten and they just come right out...
I think that rubber gourmet thing is supposed to expand as you tighten the screw to hold the windscreen in but i cant seem to tighten the screw...
Any ideas?

Right now i have wire that i put threw the holes to hold the windscreen....
It could be dangerous if the windscreen bolts came out going 80 or 90 MPH....The whole windscreen could come off AND CUT MY WHOLE HEAD OFF... lol.... I wonder if i went to hardware store and bought a screw and washer to fit on that bolt with the rubber gourmet, if that would work....

Make sure the grommet is not spinning the bolt when tighten down the bolt.

Remove them and clean them, make sure there is nothing like lube or grease on them. Install the windscreen and then start the bolt in the threads on the grommet. Then insert through the screen and the plastic. Now hold the bolt head with your fingers and tighten the bolt as your hold pressure pulling up on the bolt at the same time. It will tighten up. You can put a little saliva on the rubber grommet to make it easier to install. It works I promise.

Make sure the little threaded sleeve inside the rubber grommet hasn't moved or shifted causing the bolt to push it out when you try to tighten.. ;)

Yep. gotta make sure it is still thru the screen and sometimes hold the rubber piece where it comes thru the screen when you start to tighten it

I didnt had that problem when i removed mine to paint it.
You must be doing something wrong.
Did you put to much lube to put them back in.

I found a bolt that has a rubber washer that works a lot better at the auto parts store. The bolt should not clamp the windshield too tight or it may crack as mine did when I used a regular bolt and washer.

Back