Wind Buffeting in Traffic

04 Limited Busa

Registered
My Busa is among the best handling bikes I have ever ridden. It is also the worst handling bike when I get within 200' of the draft from a tractor trailer on the interstate. I either have to drop way back or crank it and wobble by a tractor trailer until I get by. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just a hunch, but I am willing to bet that your inputs more than anything else are causing some of your problems... Meaning your tense around the big rigs, maybe anticipating the turbulance? I say this because having ridden on the interstates a fair bit I have never noticed any real unusual buffeting or extreme turbulance.

I mean there is always some, but I actually felt that the Busa was a little more stable than my previous rides. Maybe try a double bubble and concentrate on relaxing and staying the hell away from the big rigs. You don't want nothing to do with em' anyway.

Like Revlis says loosen your grip on your bars and relax your upper body. The bike wants to go straight.Just relax.

Just try to relax, but still stay in control. The gyroscopic effect of the wheels on the busa will keep it going in a straight line. Rider input is what usually screws things up. Don't get me wrong, there is a fair amount of wind around the big rigs, but it should only take a slight pressure on the inside grip to counter it.

Pointers:
1. Try to stay to the far side of your lane, away from the rig, when passing. This keeps you from catching all the air being pushed around the front of the truck. It's usually only bad a few feet to the side of the truck, and your lane is typically about 10' wide. To see this in action, find a 2-lane road frequented by semi's. As you approach them going the opposite direction, allow a few to pass by while your near the centerline (NOT on it). Now for the next semi, move to the far side of your lane. You'll notice a BIG difference.

2. If you're following a semi, there really isn't a good place to be, but staying back a little bit and keeping his mirrors in your view will keep you out of the worse turbulence. The air being pushed around the front of the truck is trying to recombine behind the truck. Imagine what the smoke streams look like in wind tunnel testing.

If you just keep in mind how the air flows aound an object, you can predict where the turbulence is going to be the worse. Just minimze the time you sped in the rough areas.

Hope this helps you...Good Luck
cool.gif

I used to drive tractor trailers and I would recommend staying clear of them. You don't want to be around it even in a vehicle when a tire blows off it doing 80. The hell with a little wind, that #### will take your head off.

Not just relaxing but BODY POSITION!

If you are stretched way out and not even in a little tuck it will jerk you around quit a bit no matter what you are riding. Try to bend your arms and get behind the screen a little more.

The smoother you can get the turbulent air to flow over you, the less you will get jerked around.

Not only that but what are you doing behind a Semi?? Get yourself up in front of the traffic where they can see you better and your problem will be solved!
wink.gif

Buffeting is minor espec. compared to other bikes. I've had several occasions where I felt like I was going to be knocked down by wind gusts on my ZG1000. Busa is rock-steady by comparison.

04 Limited Busa,

Post up some pics of your toys! Looks like a sweet Viper GTS you got there beside your BUSA!
cool.gif

Let us have a look.....please!?!?
biggrin.gif

Josh
pirate.gif

Big Rigs are like Big Boats, they have a bow wave and a wake. If you get in either your ride's going to be bumpy. Give them plenty of room whaen passing and the affect is less noticeable - it's also safer to do that because it minimizes your time in their blind spots. I you're at 200' and feeling the draft there's something odd about that. The suggestions already given about tensing up are probably correct.

I find the 'Busa doesn't get pushed around too much by crosswinds. Now my old 250 on the other hand - like a kite on a windy day....

Just draft him about four feet off his bumper, bump her into neutral, turn the ignition off and take a nap. When you wake up you'll be in atlanta or some other metropolitan city. Be sure to check your gas milage on the trip
biggrin.gif

I don't mind the bumpy air around the big rigs. It's always there and it always makes you wobble a little. However, if you are meeting one of those big rigs on a two lane road where he has a little speed up and if you are going over a buck twenty of so, it can really put the fear of god into you for a spit second. I have learned my lesson and I always back off the throttle when I see on coming and slow up a bit. I think if you were really smokin and met a big rig going eighty in the opposite direction, it could actually chunk you out into the brush? I don't want to be the first to find out!

definitely happens, bro. best things were already said...relax, give a little bit of clearance and you shoul dbe good to go.

And yeah...watch out for those effin tires. Blow-outs on those SOBs are fuggin crazy.

Back