Wii water drinking contest

'tis true. We had the same thing happen around here in California I think it was last year. Some fraternity hazing ritual.

What happens is that the ratio of water to electrolytes gets thrown completly off, your cells actually start absorbing more water than they should and then they just cease functioning.

I knew that. It happens to a few marathon runners a year. The symptoms of water intoxication are very similar to dehydration, so allot of the times the runners are given even more water as the cure. The volume of water one has to consume to become intoxicated is huge.

what a tragic way to lose your mom
sad.gif

That's pretty bad.

Overconsumption of ANYthing can kill you. Moderation is always key.

Another one that happens on occasion is death from dietary supplements or vitamins. People get the idea that if a little is good, a lot is better.

--Wag--

(BusaWhipped @ Jan. 14 2007,06:21) I knew that.  It happens to a few marathon runners a year.  The symptoms of water intoxication are very similar to dehydration, so allot of the times the runners are given even more water as the cure.  The volume of water one has to consume to become intoxicated is huge.
+1......I had recruits "go down" in boot camp from this. It is very rare but it does happen occassionally

but never did any of em' die. My rcts just got sick.

Well
wink.gif
just as W.C. Fields always said, "I never drink anything that fish make love in " !
laugh.gif

That was really a STUPID
iamwithstupid.gif
contest
all_coholic.gif

yeah I dont think jokes in this thread are appripriate.

28 year old mother of 3 kids and doing it to try and win a Wii for her children and dying because of some stupid radio show not having any sense is not funny..

This is where I think a law sute would be appropriate. any public entity doing something like this should seek medical advise first. Not sure if they did, but if someone died I doubt they had seeked any medical supervision

I didnt know about the water thing until about 3 years ago.

Because I work out (lift weights, run etc) after is very important to me.

over 10 years ago, before I started getting into fitness and a health kick, I used to drink like a 2 litre of coke a day, I used to smoke almost 2 packs of cifs a day etc.

Trying to drink water was tough at first, I hate it and it sucked, but the more I drank the more I got used to it.

Now water is about all I drink. I have an occasional Coke Zero but that is it.

Anyway, about 3 years ago I was bragging to my doctor about how I drink about 2 gallons of water a day or more. I was proud of the fact that I drank so much water and I actually love water now.

And my doctor freaked, she told me that was dangerous and I said "you kidding me!! how can drinking water be dangerous!! everyone is always told to drink water, people never drink water!!"

Then she told me about the whole electrolyte thing

She told me 2 gallons a day was border line, but she said was probably ok for the amount of working out I do (run 40 minutes a day, sometimes twice a day, lift weights 2 hours a day) but she told me 2 gallons ONLY because I work out so much.

She told me to never exceed two gallons a day and most people should drink no more than 1 gallon a day (unless you work out pretty heavy and regularly.

That conversation with my doctor about water is what kind of directed me down this road of moderation. Ever since thing I kind of have been “enlightenedâ€￾ that moderation is the key to all things.

Heck, even the air we breath is not pure. The air we breath is only 21% oxygen, is that a trip or what lol

Referance:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question493.htm

So I now try to live by a rule of moderation in all things

more like- She held her wee in for a Wii, and now we all miss her (there, now I made a worse joke)

....someone please shoot all the gameshow promoters who make up crap like this just to promote their own selfish s**t. Cant believe a mother of 3 who works for a Radiological anything let herself get involved in something so stupid....really sad.

I don't agree that the station should be held at any fault  
wow.gif
! Look they ask, who could  
all_coholic.gif
drink the most water before they had to Peeeeee
wink.gif
! Adults entered, and if they want to be STUPID and hold their urine, then why should the rest of the World always be responsible for what DUMB things ADULTS do. Sad, but no one held a gun to her head and made her drink all that water ! IF she had let her body tell her what to do and when, SHE would still be alive !

Kinda like saying Suzuki is responsible for some idiot getting killed on a State Hwy because he was doing 150 mph in a 60 mph speed zone while trying to go through some decreasing curve  
rock.gif
. All because the bike is advertised to do that speed and is capable of it . Of course you have to eliminate COMMON SENCE and personal responsibility  
iamwithstupid.gif
!

(DaCol. @ Jan. 14 2007,08:54) I don't agree that the station should be held at any fault
wow.gif
all_coholic.gif
wink.gif
! Adults entered, and if they want to be STUPID and hold their urine, then why should the rest of the World always be responsible for what DUMB things ADULTS do. Sad, but no one held a gun to her head and made her drink all that water ! IF she had let her body tell her what to do and when, SHE would still be alive !

Kinda like saying Suzuki is responsible for some idiot getting killed on a State Hwy because he was doing 150 mph in a 60 mph speed zone while trying to go through some decreasing curve
rock.gif
. All because the bike is advertised to do that speed and is capable of it . Of course you have to eliminate COMMON SENCE and personal responsibility
iamwithstupid.gif
!
My point was, I am a 44 year old adult, I did not find out until I was around 40 that drinking too much water could be dangerous.

And I feel I am pretty knowledgebable about a lot of things and it blew me away when I found that out.

and I have talked to a lot of people that never knew drinking too much water is dangerous.

So my point was, that most people probably do not know that, and if anything the radio station should have had medical oversight and contestants should have been made aware of the danger.. and I doubt they did or were..

I learned that drinking to much water was dangerous in Highschool when I played football. We were all talking about it, making fun of a kid that brought it up. Asked a science teacher about it and he confirmed. Like that website (howstuffworks) Thrasher.

(DaCol. @ Jan. 14 2007,08:54) I don't agree that the station should be held at any fault  
wow.gif
all_coholic.gif
wink.gif

rock.gif
iamwithstupid.gif
!
If they promote a contest and someone dies...that is not the same as you going out and killing
yourself on your bike.

Radio station may not be liable for the death. From the article, "'They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy,' said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. 'They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk.'"

No further comment, your honor.

--Wag--

Back