Why you should tip your server

I walk into a restaurant with a 20% tip. I started deducting for bad service. If the service is very good I will go as high as 30% regardless of the bill. This applies to any restaurant that I go to that has a server, whether it is a 4 star or waffle house at 0300.

Don

A waiter once told me that you get remembered if you tip above 20% or below 10%. I try to get remembered everytime.

we dont tip here in oz, traditionally.

I think our minimum wage is a little higher than most US states though.

Around AUD$13.74 if you are full time (get paid annual and sick leave)- Minimum

Around AUD$16.50 if you are casual (no paid annual or sick leave AND can be sacked without notice) - Minimum

Dubs

you got any good leads for getting work visas down there
cool.gif
Wouldnt be doing waiter job but always wanted to see the country
beerchug.gif

I tip well... It works like a charm especially if you aren't a ****. I have folks in Victoria that remember me by name after I haven't been there for a year or so, I have local restaurants that will bend over backwards to get me a table on short notice, and hell the Pizza Guys beat a path to my door when I call... Seriously, anytime I call at 1800 on a friday or Saturday and I am told it will be 45min- an hour? 15-20 minutes to my door tops, pretty sure I can hear footsteps...

It's all because I am friendly, and I tip well enough to be remembered. Especially the valet... If I am staying someplace for a week or more, I make certain to get the Senior Valet, and tip him about $100 right up front, thus my car stays... right up front. I call down to get it, and phoomp like some sorta Disney magic... there it is...
thumb_up.gif

This weekend in Spokane was a classic example, Tip well from the start, Valet and Bell hop, then dinner tip the waiter really well (charge it to your room, it stings less) and you can just about ask for anything and get it wicked quick...

Ice cream at 0200? Took about 10 minutes
thumb_up.gif
served with a smile...

BUT

Treat me bad, and I'll talk to your management...
beerchug.gif

thumb_up.gif

I won't stiff anyone but they'll know if I wasn't happy... I usually give around 20% or more but the best wait-staff will get the best tip based on how they interact with my kids - especially the younger waiters. Why? Because we've gone to great lengths to make sure our kids aren't the ones you see behaving badly in public. They have good manners and are expected to use them so in turn, we expect the staff to treat our kids with as much respect and attention as the adults. We don't eat out often but when we do, it's a nice time for everyone, including the staff. I can't stand watching bad kids or rude guests in restaurants so we do our best not to be "that family".

Wow I am moving down under.. 13 a hour for servers??? We make the sate mandated 2.18 a hour.. I was talking to a lady who works fine dineing,, she has been at the same restaurant for 12 years.. of course it is a 5 star place with 150 per plate meals, but she makes over 100K a year.. Accodring to her it is the oppsite of what I do,, in fine dining you are pretty much a ghost,, only talk when recomending food, or talking about the nightly specials..

damn that sucks people do that!!my wife works for Bob Evans so you know i tip good!! 20-30% always..those heffers must not plan on coming back because return customers usually won`t do that unless there stupid.
guns.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

you know this girl at the applebee's here it was a week after christmas and we had already been flirting befoe so i oredered an appetizer and my check was like 14 dollars so we where talkin and they had the holiday booze gift sets marked down so i told her to buy it and she said you knwo with what stingy people mind you so i left her a 20 tip and said wel you can affordd to go splurge

i tip well if it is deserving

I have 2 rules that decides the tip.
1.) My glass of tea better never be empty. If I have to wait for a drink then I am not happy.
2.) DO NOT stand over me and watch me eat. I also don't need someone coming over and asking every 2 mins if my food is alright.
If these rules are followed, I usually tip 25%. How good the food is has nothing to do with the tip I leave. I KNOW my server didn't cook it so why should he/she suffer because of it.

I also never tip under $5 no matter what my meal costs. I stopped Sat at a Longhorn after leaving Iron Pony and got a Grilled Chicken sandwich/fries & drink. The meal cost $10.85 and I actually tipped the woman $19.15.

WHY? Because the woman asked if I rode a Hayabusa. I said yea how do you know that.. She replies I recognize the symbol on your hat and the blue bike outside..
super.gif

No glass of tea, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Cherry Pepsi, Mt Dew, or any other drink will go empty in my section.. My bar brink customers have a refill in hand when they are 2/3 empty,, free refill drinks are refilled between 1/2 to 2/3 empty..

I tend to tip very well because my wife will run a server to DEATH! I usually fell sorry for them. If the service is outstanding I will tip well and ask to speak to the manager to express my pleasure. It's also funny to see look on mgr. face. He just knows he's about to get his butt chewed then I tell him how happy I am. You can see the tension drain away

20% over here no matter good or bad
I don't believe that.....

I tip 20% ALWAYS for good service.
If I get crap service, I tip less then 15% but it's based
on the total amount of my bill at that point.

$100 bill = $20 tip.
Crap service, I might leave them $10 on that same $100 bill.

I used to be a server/bartender at D&B so I know what it's like
dealing with cheapskates all day that want their food but don't
want to pay for the service. They KNOW the drill, so if they don't
want to pay for the service, they KNOW they can order it to go.
whistling.gif

But instead take it out on their servers.....which is typical
of how ignorant most people truly are and selfish.

I won't stiff anyone but they'll know if I wasn't happy...  I usually give around 20% or more but the best wait-staff will get the best tip based on how they interact with my kids - especially the younger waiters.  Why?  Because we've gone to great lengths to make sure our kids aren't the ones you see behaving badly in public.  They have good manners and are expected to use them so in turn, we expect the staff to treat our kids with as much respect and attention as the adults.  We don't eat out often but when we do, it's a nice time for everyone, including the staff.  I can't stand watching bad kids or rude guests in restaurants so we do our best not to be "that family".
+1...... I was a waitress since I was 16.. and if you made the kids happy... you got a good tip..... bring em crayons, lidded drinks, extra napkins.... wrap up the left overs to look like a fish or like something cute ... I used to RAKE IN the tips!

Back