Why you should tip your server

ditchdr

Registered
Just to let some of you know.. Most places that have a door person, and a bar tenders get tip share form the servers.. Pertty much 3% of the servers total sales goes into a pool, then the pool is split up between the door person(s) and the bar tenders... If you stiff a server you are costing them money to eat...

Take Yesterday,, i was working section 3, the smoking section.. I knew it was gonna be a slow day, and I would be lucky to walk out wiht 50 dollars.. Well slow is a loose term for yesterday.. I had 2 tables seated total, from 10am till I left at 4pm..

Table 1 was a coupe with their young child, and one of them brought along their brother.. Meal with drinks was like 30 dollars.. I got a 5 dollar tip.. Pretty normal amount for a 30 check.

Other table were 4 LARGE women they orderd everything on the menu twice.. Their check was 140.00 do0llars.. I got stiffed.. now 3% of 140 comes to 4.20  ...  

SO lets do the math 5 dollars take away 4.20 leaves .80 cents.. Yes folks i made 80 flipping cents in tips..

Its not like i gave them bad service.. I even comped them 4 strawberry sweet teas, cause they wanted to try them.. I busted my butt bringing them drinks, was on the kitchens ass about getting the order out, hell they had their food ( A LOT) with in 16 min of ordering it. As soon as a plate was empty I had it off the table.. I laughed with them, joked with them,, even showed them pics of my kid, and looked at pics if theirs..  And what did my hard work get me?  

It got me shafted.. I had to pay 4.20 out of my pocket for them freaking sea donkeys to eat in my section.

SO if you get good serive tip the standard 15% if you get crap,, give 3% or less, as there is no excuse for crap service, but if you get out of this world attn to detail, server busting his ass to make your dining even more enjoyable,, DONT freaking stiff him..

Ok i feel better, gonna take my 80 cents and go buy a can of soda now,,, Cheers.

And i thank you,, now I work at the Applebees on Ashley Phosphate in North Charleston.. Can I start you off with a beer tonight lol

No excuse for not tipping good service.

I have at times tipped the meal amount but those are few and far between. Most of the time my scale is as follows and goes by most places around here charge 8.5- 9.5 % tax:

Poor service gets the tax amount
Decent service gets 2x tax amount
Good service gets 3x tax amount
Very good service gets whatever seems to cover their extra effort.

Does this seem reasonable?

I'm same way(tip generously) cause I always afraid if I dont tip then I will get sheddy service along with a hair or spit in my food. Everyone, please, always tip.

Thank all of you,, I understand if you get bad service you dont feel you should pay extra... heck I have given a tip to the server in a diffrent section before cause my server only showed up 3 times.. once to get the order, once to drop the food off and once to drop off the bill.. I thank all of you for your tip.. yes % based off the tax bracket is very resonable.. We still dont hike up food tax here so the rule of thumb is 15% of the total..

I tip well too, but I dont tip for very bad service. My sister used to work at IHOP, so I understand completely.

I even tip the pizza guy and the chinese delivery guys good. a 5 dollar tip for a pizza is about normal for me. dinning out i shoot for atleast 20%.

Horrible service, tip sometimes doesnt happen but ya know, its gotta be one of those, I'm talking to the manager cuz it was *that* bad type of deals otherwise I generally follow:
10-15% for poor to average service
15-20% is average to not bad service
20-50% for pretty decent up to holy crap, that was great service

I travel a LOT. I eat out way too much and at some pretty fine dining places (The Palm, Met Grill, TruLucks, etc) and try not to eat at "chains" when I can avoid them. It doesnt take much to get into the 20+% range here, attention to detail, my drink not getting empty, food comes out hot, etc.

We were at Chili's tonight for dinner (figured it was cheap/easy), the waitress was doing ok, but towards the end of the meal, no drinks, no service, nada. She still got 15% but only cuz the manager came by to fill the drinks
banghead.gif

And for sundays at the sports bar when we all take up a table of 6+ for basically the afternoon...if its anything close to busy, our waitress usually makes out pretty good, its more like rent of the table for $20-30 a head (our rule not theirs)... they know us and keep the beer & food flowing, its totally worth it
beerchug.gif
(works out to 200+% of the bill typically)

Keep doing your thing and it will come back to you sometime 10x over
cool.gif

20% over here no matter good or bad
Me too. Most of my family has worked in the restaurant business in one fashion or another so 20% from me no matter the service. Everyone works hard for their money and even on those rare occasions that I get poor service, I don't know what may be on the mind of the server so I give them the benefit of the doubt. We all have hard days here and there.

I normally tip very well. But they have been a time or two that I stiffed the server. Usually its only if I just get horrible service or I just don't happen to have any more cash on me. Mainly its only if I don't have enough cash.

I usually do 10%-30% depending on service. 10% is for really poor service where it's obvious that the server is not taking care of the customers. Up to 30% if service is good, or the server is busting butt and the kitchen is slow.

working in the bar industry, i always tip very well since i know what its like to get stiffed on checks. im usually between the 25-35 percent range....
beerchug.gif

i normally figure 20%, then round to the closest dollar for decent service...i have been known to double the bill a couple times for service that was above and beyond expectations...however, i have left a penny on two occasions (wanted to make sure they knew i didn't just forget) when the service was absolutely horrible and also never went back to those restaurants...whether or not my glass is ever empty plays a lot into what i think of a server, i don't mind waiting a while for good, hot food but i don't want to sit there thirsty
beerchug.gif

I also tip 20- 30%. And at times I tip 100%. Being a bartender part time and my mother having worked the food service industry when I was growing up, I know how important tips are and what they mean to people. I also ALWAYS tip in cash. I never add it to the credit card bill. If you tip in cash, they do not have to report it all and pay taxes MOST of the time. If it goes on the CC bill then they usually can't hide it from Uncle Sam.

I always tip 20% unless you sukk.
The problem out there is that many who think they really are a good wait staff, really aint.
About 60% of the people that I see wait on me I'd fire if they worked for me.

I always tip well...working for a restaurant company has taught me that being a server kinda sucks - the hourly wages are low, tips are iffy and you have to deal with a$$hats on a daily basis guaranteed. If I eat at one of our restaurants we're "encouraged" to tip at least 20%. I alway round up, at least. If I get mediocre service at one of our restaurants, I always tell the manager. If I'm at a restaurant that we don't own, I still tip minimum 15%. But any server who gives stellar service can get much more.

Good servers are not always easy to find. We had to close a restaurant because the labor pool for servers was so bad...all kids from upper income families who didn't want to give any customer service. It was better to close the restaurant that keep it open and have it damage our company's reputation.

Back