Why would this happen

1ibandit

Registered
The Tires had less the 600 miles on them when I first noticed. Pics are at 1500 miles. I don't notice any problems, but the centers are flat. The bumps are only off center. I was thinking it's the Dual compound softer on the outside. The end of last year I did go down around a corner but I am sure it was me not the tire.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306702168.342357.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306702136.394159.jpg

Looking forward to what you think.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306702136.394159.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306702168.342357.jpg

tire distortion is dangerous...get that tire off your bike bro! I've seen it on a lot of guys bikes when they run tire pressure too low or too high. That's the first thing I would check. It would be a good idea to ensure both your forks are set the same.

Low tire pressure is a great reason for flat centers. I learned that when I got my first bike and didn't think to check tire pressure because it was a new bike. I also wasn't religious about checking tire pressure before every ride like I am now.

I need one of those TPMS from Pashnit !

Usually overinflation causes that not low pressure or underinflation. Low pressure would show wear on the sides not the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's some definite cupping! I'd have a look at the forks, something isn't right at all in your front end.
Doesn't have anything to do with the soft compound. 2CT's soft compound is only 1/2" or so of the outside edge, the C-strip section of your tire that has never been on the pavement.

After I found this problem I checked the pressure and was within 2psi. I am not faithful with checking my pressure. I do have the bike a part doing powder coating and new plastic. I happened to look at the forks after getting the plastic off and did notice one fork is 1/16 to 1/8 inch lower. I was wondering if it had happened in the wipeout. With some saying check my forks maybe this was off the the whole time.

I will order new front rubber and check out the whole front end. Thanks for suggestions.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa

you are probably correct in saying the wipeout caused the difference in the forks and that would cause issues like you are seeing in the tire wear...glad you caught it and can get it put back together correctly :beerchug:

After I found this problem I checked the pressure and was within 2psi. I am not faithful with checking my pressure. I do have the bike a part doing powder coating and new plastic. I happened to look at the forks after getting the plastic off and did notice one fork is 1/16 to 1/8 inch lower. I was wondering if it had happened in the wipeout. With some saying check my forks maybe this was off the the whole time.

I will order new front rubber and check out the whole front end. Thanks for suggestions.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
I would be surprised if the tube vertical alignment would be at fault, as the axle is big enough to align the forks. Now if the axle did not bolt up properly and left them cocked, that would be a different story. Also if one tube is slightly bent or binding. But all of those would first make me wonder if the bike ever steered straight in the first place. E.g., when the tires were new, could you ride it with hands off the bars? Did the bars every want to shake on deceleration (most common) or acceleration? Which is why I suggested incorrect tire pressures first.

Long shot question: Do you run only on brake disk up front?

I would be surprised if the tube vertical alignment would be at fault, as the axle is big enough to align the forks. Now if the axle did not bolt up properly and left them cocked, that would be a different story. Also if one tube is slightly bent or binding. But all of those would first make me wonder if the bike ever steered straight in the first place. E.g., when the tires were new, could you ride it with hands off the bars? Did the bars every want to shake on deceleration (most common) or acceleration? Which is why I suggested incorrect tire pressures first.

Long shot question: Do you run only on brake disk up front?

The bike never ever had a shake, and I could ride no handed and had many times with no problems. I am not sure what you mean by the long shot question. I use 90% front break if that is what u mean. I only use the back brake on gravel and things.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa

an under-inflated tire will wear very fast and in odd ways.

regarding your tire pics, looks like a possibly defective tire.

It's not likely to be the case but for peace of mind you could check rear axle alignment. If you've adjusted chain slack recently the axle doesn't have to be out very much for a few spirited rides to wear the center out quickly. Good luck! :beerchug:

It's not likely to be the case but for peace of mind you could check rear axle alignment. If you've adjusted chain slack recently the axle doesn't have to be out very much for a few spirited rides to wear the center out quickly. Good luck! :beerchug:

This I am real careful with, but I will make sure to look and let you know tomorrow. I really thought it was a bad tire and was going to contact the maker, but then the crash and it got forgot about.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa

I had a similar experience with the front tire on my CBR, found my tire pressure to be low. Pretty much ruined the tire. Since then I've kept a better check on air pressure. Mine was far more than 2 pounds off.

Got my front tire doing this as well. Not as bad as yours but none the less; I spotted some flat spots on both sides when under the bike. Can really feel them more than I can see em. Got about 5 or 6 grand on em; probably time to replace. Need to check air pressure more often. Crap... time to research forks I believe; does this ever end?
Good "heads up" post....ty

that is caused by over inflation.....also super hard breaking aka stoppies...if you ride in extremely warm weather and you run the higher end of the tire pressure cold...when they get warm you are probably a little high which will cause this....also if you store your bike in the winter on the tires you can get this...and last but not least yes forks out of adjustment will also cause this though i would think the bike would have felt funny to you.

I've definetly seen this type of wear on cruisers due to low pressure.. As your pressure is ok, I would say wheel balance would be the next easiest thing to check into..

Back