Why there is no traction data available on various

IG.

Registered
I've always wondered, why? We measure engine power, torque, etc, Why the heck there is no some sort of tire traction measurements, at different lean angles with some arbitrary chosen conditions like ambient temperature, dry/wet, etc? And wherever I asked (I think I even wrote to one of the magazines) I was given the answer how different conditions might be, and there is no easy way to standardize it, etc.

Well, I went to NY Motorcycle show on Dec 28 in NYC. As usual, a bunch of overpriced choppers, big four manufacturers, sat here and there, took a few pictures, and while waiting for my family saw a bunch of tires (won't say which manufacturer) installed so they can freely spin. So, I came to the stand with the only purpose to spin the tires - just feels good. And the rep asks me if I have any questions, and I started nah, not really, and then I popped this question, that you know I am reading tire recommendations on your company website, and the 7 year old tire would sound as great as just newly released tire, and how it's impossible to chose a tire because there is no data, unless a few people actually try it and explain there feel-by-the-pants impressions, and how I was sure that tire manufacturers surely have a bunch of data, they just don't want to share this info, and how it would be useful if let's say the chart told me that this tire, on that surface, at this ambient temperature, with this lean angle and such side force breaks traction at 100 lb of side force, and this newer tire breaks traction at 110 lb of side force, I would sure know that the latter tire has better traction in those conditions, which would help me to choose the best tire for my riding style and my wallet size.

Well, he said, we would love to share this information. However, someone will say they rode at the same lean angle, at the same conditions and the tire broke loose at 95 lb and the will sue the heck out of them. And that's the only reason they will never provide such precise information. And he showed me there company brochure where he said the second half of it was only devoted to safety warnings so there is little room to be sued.

And he gave me a specific example when a newb bought a brand new bike, with brand new tires of course, and crashed a few miles later. And his lawyers sued the dealer because he neglected to tell the rider that the tires had to be broken in during the first 100 miles (I think IIRC the Owners Manual states just that, so the dealer does not have to say it, and the manual also says you have to read the entire manual prior to riding a motorcycle). I told him the tire could be broken in in a dozen turns, just doing it gradually, and he agreed with me, but said we had to say 100 miles cause some idiot would ride straight for 20 miles, and then decide to go into full lean. If we say a 100 miles, at least there is a good chance any idiot would very likely lean a few times and the tire would be scrubbed on the sides.

This entire situation is just unbelievable, but that's the sad reality we came to live with. With all the crashing, it's still amazing that bikes are being manufactured, and not outlawed - not by means of legislation, but by being choked in the sea of lawsuits - most of them spurred by irresponsible riders and motivated by greed.

As I wrote this I paused. Are we at the peak of what we will later describe as an amazing time when you could just hop on the bike and ride wherever you wanted? I hope not.

Simple answer?

too many variables. Tire temperature, speed in turn, lean angle, weight of rider/bike combination, surface temperature, surface composition, etc. you could NEVER standardize all that and make it economically viable.

I hope this ride anything you want era doesn't come to an end soon. Its frigg'in awesome!! Buying a high performance machine for 11 grand or less lets us mortals enjoy motorsports instead of only the rich.

Back