Why the Bus has two mufflers.

OB_Kirk

Registered
Knowing what I know about how vehicle manufacturers address the issue of noise emissions, I believe that the Bus has two mufflers in order to support the exhaust flow needed to get 180hp out of an 11,000 rpm 1.3 liter inline 4 while at the same time meeting noise emissions requirements. Now I don't mind making a little noise or saving a little weight, and I certainly don't mind picking up a few horsepower in the process, so I will be equipping my Bus with a Muzzy titanium full exhaust with a round titanium can.

kirk, please letme know when you get that muzzy pipe on, i was thinking of put on the same pipe, like to know what you think!

I read somewhere that some bikes have two pipes so that one of them is always on the opposite side from the test equipment. That way it can actually be louder and still pass noise emission regulations. I think that has a lot to do with the restricted air box. I have done the small box mod and at idle, it sounds almost like the fan is on. These things add up. I'm sure Suzuki had to choose between exhaust and intake noise and made a few compromises to get the best performance and still be under the noise limit.

Im nearly ready to test the limits of the stock pipe. My valvesprings will be here today and the motor assembly should be done next week. Dyno time will follow. Hoping for over 200 HP on the tire with a stock pipe. With 1500cc on tap I think its more than possible. Should make for quick commute in the morning.

Kirk,

What is the cost and source for the full system you will do?

I just made a 'Muzzy decision' as well. Felt a tit can on a zx9 last night, and it was barely warm after aggressive city riding at Bike Week in Myrtle Beach.

So my theory that the Hayabusa came with two pipes because it's not a true sport bike are false? Or is this just a theory as well?

Back