Why I will now ALWAYS service my own \'busa

OB_Badagindo

Registered
I took my bike to the dealer today for the first service. I definitely felt like they had their money from the sale of the bike, and anything more was an inconvenience for them. I really don't want to say the name of the dealership, cuz I may need warranty work done there. But it's in Phoenix.

This is a true exchange between myself and the service personnel. I will call the people ME, greasy-teenage-tattoo dude (GTD), and shop foreman (SF).

I pull into the dealership lot, just in time to see GTD whip around my wife's car finishing his test ride of my new 2000 Blue/Silver Hayabusa. As he is parking the bike, I saunter up and ask:

ME - Well, how's she run?
GTD - Woah! what a bike!
ME - D'you take her out for a ride?
GTD - Oh nah! just around the parking lot.
ME - (looking at the odo) Hmmm, where'd those 7 miles come from?
GTD - Oh, yeah, well I did have to check her out.

I look the bike over.

ME - Hey did you guys have to remove the fairing (sp?) when you changed the oil?
GTD - Naw, you can just reach in there and work the filter out.
ME - You mean you didn't remove the fairng at all today?
GTD - (puzzled look)
ME - How'd you guys check the nuts and bolts and stuff?
GTD - (shrug) Don't need to on first service.
ME - "Thud" jaw hitting pavement.

I then go in to see the shop foreman who I had requested to work on the bike.

ME - Hey, did you guys remove the fairing when you changed the oil?
SF - Yup, just the lower right though.
ME - Oh, okay. How 'bout the throttle bodies?
SF - Looked okay to me.
ME - So you checked them?
SF - <pause> Sure! Oh, BTW your tires had 52 lbs pressure in them. (shoulda been 42)
ME - "Thud" (second jaw drop). Well then they came outta here like that when I picked the bike up.
SF - Hmm. Well she looks good! Thanks for coming in.
ME - so you guys checked everything out?
SF - oh yeah, we have a checklist.

I went out and checked the bike over. It looked okay, and I wasn't there when they serviced it so who knows?

I have my service manual, my P-L rear stand, and I'm doing my own stuff as much as possible from now on.

I appreciate your patience while I vent here, and I thank you guys for the help you've been so far.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

[This message has been edited by Badagindo (edited 05 April 2000).]

Dude I have said this too many times don't just walk into it blind talk to the service personel.As for throttle bodies adjustment that only gets done on the CA bikes.
when someone posted how much they pay for the first service my jaw hit the ground If it takes them more than an hour they're playing around that is what we charge and if you want the tps and throttle bodies done it is another hour.PS we are at 50.00 an hour.

Dude this is lesson for all to heed. You never know what kind of sevice you are getting. My friend took his bike in furnished the plugs, and they did not change them. Luckly he pulled a plug to check and see if they were changed.

evry day I read how more and more of this sh** goes on I feel like we are the only dealer in the world that cares. One day I wiil finally do it just like Motorhead heck I already registered my domain name.

Overpriced checkup even when they really do the work. Not too many of us here that didn't do it ourselves. It not only saves a lot of money but the job gets done right and it's a good way to familiarize yourself with the bike early on. If they didn't remove the fairing(s) there should be evidence in the form of oil - especially from the filter removal on the inner bottom of the lower fairings.

It is always a good idea to do a little research before plunking your baby in for a little service or maybe the right amount of service. Maybe ask just who might be the wrencher, and then go to see said wrench. Make a few simple observation, is he dirty or is he clean, look at his work area, is it clean and uncluttered or is it mess. Ask him to show you around, get to know him personally, does he ride bikes, race them, or is he just some wannabe newbie, is he paid salary or is he commissioned? Does he act like he cares about you or does he just want to move you on out the door. Does he do custom work, if so ask for pics, does he have 2 years exp or 25, find out. Just use your imagination, shouldn't be hard to figure out if you can trust the guy or not. Whether it is a dealership, independent, or back yard bird, makes no diff. Good and bad can come from each. And if yu do find one yu can use, always insist he do the work, but yu must ask by name usually. Take a checklist of what you expect to be done and ask about the charges beforehand. Consult with yur wrench about overkill factory maintenance, get his opinion as it may pertain to your particular unit. And if you are having a particular problem, discuss it in exact detail with the wrench, not the service mgr. Skip him. Ultimately you are in the wrenches hand, and no one elses. Should you have a prob with the wrench then it will fall back to Service manager, and from there to owner, and owners hate probs with service. They will (usually) try to find a fast and satisfying resolution to your complaint. Pros and Cons: Dealer is usually better equipped, special tool, manuals, faster parts and better parts availablity, but higher prices and accidental damage to bike is higher. Independents usually do better work but longer waiting period on OEM parts. Not as well informed on updates and special procedures and so forth. Ordering oEM parts can be a hassle also as they might not have current pricing, microfiche, computer software, etc. Back yard bird, I won't get into this one. My .03.

And for those of you who chose to do it yourself, that fine, just don't make the mistake i made, making your hobby your living. Gonite

I wasn't very happy with the service I was getting on my old Honda from the two different dealers I tried, nor from an independent shop.

But I'm quite happy with the work done on my Busa by my Suzuki dealer, who sells only Suzukis.

The Honda guys also handled Kawasaki and SeaDoo and most of the time the shop had more jetskis on the stands than motorcycles.

Thanks all, I took her out for a ride after I made the post and she seems fine. Live and Learn. I appreciate the advice.

Cheese - open a Phoenix franchise and YOU can do all my warranty work!

[This message has been edited by Badagindo (edited 05 April 2000).]

Back