Why I like/prefer Dynojet Dyno Centers

OB_Animal

Registered
Only mentioned this on another thread shortly, as I thought "everybody knew", but it turns out that it was new to some of the people that I view as belonging to the "better informed", so maybe it's better to bring this to everyone's attention.

One of the "unique selling points" for taking your bike to a Dynojet Center, at least versus the other dyno brands available in my country and assuming an operator willing to cooperate with this, is that you can take the data of your runs home with you in a better form than just a single print-out showing only a small part of the available data (like e.g. just HP versus speed of 1 run).

What Dynojet calls the run-data is actually a small PC file of around 3 Kb size containing ALL info of 1 run done on the Dynojet and these run-data files can of course quite easily be put on a floppy for you by the operator.
Combine this with the freely downloadable (from Dynojet web-site) Pepview runviewer for home PC use and you can suddenly look at your runs at home!

As for what use is this whole lot to you:
You can then view your own runs, compare (graph overlay) with (your) other runs, you can choose what you want to see on the graphs axis like in HP/torque versus rpm/speed (assuming rpm pickup operational during run, if not then no torque or rpm data available) and, even though the old (non-Windows) home viewer has no programmed print functionality, you can print on your own printer by using PrintScreen key and then starting some graphical software on your PC and there pickup the graph from the clipboard and go on from there.
So, contrary to just having an HP versus speed printout or maybe even just having heard the max HP number from the operator for your money's worth, you can now view the complete graph throughout the rev-range, compare it with others and decide for yourself if e.g. those 3 horses more at the top-end are really worth the much worse mid-range?

You can also see the "conditions" during each run, assuming the operator entered these honestly (I say this because I've heard enough stories about dyno-operators meddling with the correction-factors to give customers a better but not actual "after" HP reading). From the top of my head these are temp, pressure and correction-factor and you can also choose to display non-corrected reading.

Other advantage is that when you constantly go to the same Dynojet Center and they have only 1 operator (like most I know) the only variables are indeed the conditions and thus your runs are reliably comparable due to that! Assuming of course that your bike's condition is also constant apart from the changes you need dynotuning for (so chain properly lubed and tensioned, sprockets OK, tire-pressure constant before run and preferably even same tires because of slip, airfilter not clogged, etc. etc.).

If your anything like me in this area and you are actually changing your Busa in any performance area, this new "toy" will give you much better insight into this area and might really help you get the most out of your mods. I know for a fact that with my other bike it has been a great help AND joy!

Have to make some small disclaimer here. This info as I know it holds for a Dynojet 150 and using the old (non-Windows) Dynojet software by the operator, using the old (non-Windows) freely downloadable Pepview software on your home-PC and dynoruns being your typical roll-on, all-gear and fast-acceleration set of 3 runs with rpm pickup installed, as the better operators of non-load-type Dynojets use to do, according to my experience. Of course the operator should also have an exhaust-analyzer/sniffer measuring the CO2 level at least for rich/lean indication, but there's no way to get that data into the Dynojet software, so you'll have to ask your operator about things he noticed in that area and make notes yourself somehow or ask the operator to put something about this in the run data notes to get it in the PC file as well.
The above means that with the old software you can have the data for a set of 3 runs for a size under 10 Kb.
The newer (Windows) versions of both the Dynojet operator software and the free home viewing tool work with a different format and generally larger PC file with extension .djr (guess that stands for DynoJetRun) and with the home viewing software the 2 types are not interchangeable, so if you decide to switch from old to new, you'll have to ask your operator to convert all your old runs (he can do that with newer version of his software) and the total size will clearly increase although they're still small.

OOPS, just checked the Dynojet web-site and for now it's still the old (non-Windows, DOS-based) PepView software that's freely downloadable there.
So, my remarks in the above about the newer version and larger file-size are best ignored. I received the newer version courtesy of Dynojet's Michael Belcher and I can assure you that it looks a lot better and, being Windows-based, works a lot easier and more intuitive. It also has the easier way of printing available. On the down-side, the version that I received was lacking some of the more advanced available functions that I was already used to and I've choosen to continue using the old version for now anyway and I also know from some Dynojet centers that they keep using THEIR old version of the software for a combination of reasons.

Hope I haven't put too many of you to sleep with this and for those freaks like me that now can't wait to "jump on this" ... HAVE FUN ... and from now on take a floppy with you on your trip to the local Dynojet!

[This message has been edited by Animal (edited 17 April 2000).]

Completely agree with the animal on this one, a DynoJet dyno is the only way to go.
Only thing better is getting all of your dyno runs for free :) (well I must do the work....but I can ignore my time when I'm having fun on the dyno).

Thanks for taking the time to write that out Animal; I've saved it to disc. I'm installing my PC2 today and your info will really help me make the best use of it.

To confirm one point: Although it doesn't say so in the PC2 instructions (not that I can find anyway) I believe I need to go my dyno guy to have him use his Yosh box to reset my ECU back to factory settings before I can use the PC2. True?

Don't know the first thing about the Yosh box but I've seen that YOSH SPECIFIC FACT mentioned by several trustworthy sources on this board.

And of course, as it's a consequence of a Yosh-box specific trait, you won't find anything about this in Dynojet PC2 docu.

DP, you are correct.....they told me this at the dynojet pc2 tuning school 2 weeks ago.
I have found that the setting are not real accurate when "attempting" to return to factory settings....so good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Jeff since you went to Dynojet school I'm going to play it safe and ride the 120 miles to get myself back to stock...or as close as the Yosh Box can put me.

Dang I wish I'd known that.

Motorhead that is contrary to everything I have read or heard.

Can you explain to me in simple laymans terms.

Jeffw's comments in regards to resetting the computer seem to conflict your statement.

I am asking a question here to learn so please don't be too annoyed.

Back