WHY BIKES CAN\'T CORNER

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Just came back from GT 1 and 2 races at Mosport.

I was talking with the Crew Chief of a Mazda team. He's a Brit who came to cars through bike racing, so he knows a lot about both.

We were talking about why bikes, even Superbikes, get around the course so poorly compared with even modest four cylinder "stock" bodied race cars. The answer is in the cornering of course, we all know that.

He says that it's because the best bikes can only generate about .7 G lateral. Which is about the same as a Buick loaded with church goers. A stock Vette will do .95 G and a Viper over 1 G. This guy's race car pulls 2 Gs. He says grand prix cars pull nearly 4 Gs sideways. I know that a grand prix tunnel boat pulls 4.5 Gs.

He says (and the physics guys among you are welcome to punch holes in his explanation if you can),that cars are able to pull 1 G+ not just because they have a better weight to contact patch size ratio, but because "they lay flat on the pavement."

With a car, you can just keep adding rubber width until the rubber's drag interferes with top speed or steering.

He says that for a bike to generate 1 G lateral, it would have to be able to lay flat on the pavement (remember the daredevil riders who rode around the inside of a huge barrel...parallel to the ground? They had to generate 1 lateral G minimum to do this.) But because a bike can only achieve a maximum level pavement lean angle (combined bike lean and rider hangoff) of about 70 degrees, it can only generate about 70% of one G. i.e. .7 G.

It follows, he says, that if you are leaned over 45 degrees, you are doing .45 lateral G.

This makes some sense to me at a gut level. Has anyone the mechanical/physics/chassis management knowledge to verify this man's explanation?

By the way, I was amazed that the Busa created more interest among the car racers in the pits than it's ever caused among a bunch of bike guys. They all knew exactly what it was and loved it!

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 04 September 1999).]

The guy makes sense, though a small observation, I think that if the rider leans 70 degrees, that is not 70%, as the most you could usefully lean (theory) would be 90, so a 70 degrees should be almost .8G, ok?. Then is not just how much you lean, but the friction you got too (which comes from your mass greatly). Four bloody Viper tires of course can catch the road much more aggresively. When you take a curve with that Viper at high speed, you don't have to worry about any rolling like on the bike, as the centrifugal acc. just can't flip the car, but make it skid sideways, and even that is mostly taken care of the huge pressure on the 4 tires. When you lean, your mass gous away, as far as vertical pressure, so you keep on loosing friction. Well anyways, kind of obvious, come on.

Look Defectron, none of your observations were obvious to me.

After some thought, I came to understand the percentage point you made: a 45% lean = .5G.

I clung to your wisdom like a broken arrow in the rapids, and was thus informed of the gravity tradeoff.

Your second last sentence was Einstein poop to me, and I'm not kiddin'.

So you know what we need now? Aside from HUD display on our visors? Ground effects to keep these muthers down.

Carbon fibre ground effects like I saw on some radical Porsche cars today. We're just talking about some simple screw-on carbon fibre wind channelers.

Cut a piece out of the curve, screw it on where you like it.

Like at the lower nose of the fairing up into the lower large vent?

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 04 September 1999).]

I'm not a physicist, but I do have some thoughts on why bikes can't take curves like a car. First of all, I know bikes can do in the low .9's on a skidpad. I've read a test in Cycle or some such magazine comparing a FZR1000 against an Acura NSX. The FZR scored a .9 something in the lateral g test.

I think the primary reason bikes cannot match cars in cornering is downforce. This does not just mean the aerodynamic forces pushing down like we hear about all the time in F1 and Indy cars, but it also means just plain gravity working on the vehicle pulling it down on the pavement. Since cars don't have to lean, they keep all of their downforce of gravity (and their extra benefit of wind if they have the right bodywork) from the vehicle applied to creating maximum traction. A motorcycle, on the other hand, loses that downforce as it leans over. The direction of the downforce changes such that, instead of all the bike's weight being applied to traction, only a fraction of the weight gets used to plant the rubber to the road. The farther over the lean, the less weight being applied to that tiny, tiny, tiny contact patch. The bike has to lean to counteract centrifugal forces which robs it of valuable friction. This need to lean also limits the maximum possible amount of lateral g's attainable because after 90 degress (which isn't possible anyway because of hard parts) there is no downforce left, meaning no more traction (low side).

I could go on about contact patches and anecdotal evidence, but this is too long already...

Blitzn, Mercedes-Benz has their own private 3 mile banked oval in The Fatherland.

How's you like to be let loose on that for a while?

As in just leaving your Busa pinned...permanently.

I'd recommend we check our tires first though.

Hey pete, and others if you need to. What's your email address? I've tried to write up a complete description of what's happening on the bike while riding, I really hope you can go through, I'll help ya if you need.
I was supposed to spend my time writing up my robotics thesis this weekend, but what wouldn't I do for da Busa and people who ride it, hehe.

As someone mentioned previously, the biggest factor is a very small contact patch. There is only so much lateral force that can be applied to that contact patch until it lets loose (tire starts to slide). Since a bike has to change angles when cornering, the tire has to be curved. A car, on the other hand, has tires that are flat with MUCH larger contact patches. What this means, to me anyway, is that cars can have much more lateral force applied to the tires before they break traction...hence, more lateral G's.

Yes, but what about weight distribution. The bike must be better most of the weight as well as the rider is over the tires shouldnt that help?

I also race cars, Lola S2000 in SCCA, ACRL, & Old IMSA. another major factor cars have that bikes really don't is downforce. With wings many race cars can generate more downforce than they weigh. Think about it,they could drive on an inverted road like a fly on the ceiling if they maintained speed.
More downforce = more lateral G's in corners

(Guess I should have read peregrines post before I posted. )

[This message has been edited by JohnnyB (edited 05 September 1999).]

Yes but have any of you taken into account that on a motorcycle when you get off the bike you are in actual fact changing your C of G In a car the cof g stays put ????????????????????????????!!!!!!! BOSS

The size of the contact patch doesn't matter at all if there is no weight pressing it into the pavement. Downforce cause friction between the tire and the pavement. If there is downforce, the bigger the contact patch, the more friction (grip). Also, the more downforce on a given size of contact, the more grip. There are many different variables - contact patch size, downforce, composition of the road surface, tire compound, temperature, etc. - which can affect the coefficient of friction, but without any downforce, there is no friction. Bike lose their downforce at 90 degrees (and hard parts touching down can be considered a 90 degree lean once the tire comes off the ground.) A car never loses any of its downforce, no matter how many lateral g's are generated.

The reason bikes can whip cars on the street is because the average mom and pop automobile is no where near close to a high performance race car, whereas a sportbike purchased from the dealer is just about ready to race. A grand prix car will just flat destroy a grand prix bike with ease on a road coarse where it is necessary to lean a bike. Personally, I think it takes a lot more skill and guts to race a bike, though. I also think bikes win hands down on bang for the buck.

Ok, here goes. There is ALWAYS downforce on a motorcycles tires. It never decreases- ever. for that to happen the bike must lose mass (weight). Thats impossible. What some are missing is that the forces we are dealing with here are a result of gravity AND centripital force. A bike doesnt lean unless you are turning in an arc, like a weight twirling on a string. Thats puts a force acting on bike and rider that appears from the riders perspective to be going straight down through his body. This force can be interpreted as the sum of 2 vectors. One acting downward perpendicilar to the ground and one parallel to it. It is with this that we are concerned. As the turn radius decreases or speed increases, two things happen (well 2 relevant things). You lean further to compensate for the increased force, and the force "pulling" the bike outward increases. At the point where the force overpowers the traction of the tire... OOPS. Of course the lean angle is a limiting factor in that the tires have to touch the ground to work :) Bottom line... It the tire qualities and the maximum lean that determine how may g's the bike can pull. For the non math types. If a biker were infinitely thin and the grip of the tire unlimited, the force of the turn required to make the rider touch the ground (read lying down all the way) would be infinite. Thats a hell of a lot more than one G. Well there ya go

[This message has been edited by Rich D (edited 05 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Rich D (edited 05 September 1999).]

Rich D: Does this mean that if I diet until I'm nearly dead and cover my tires with well-chewed bubble gum I can beat Schumacher in a hairpin?

If so, please confirm and I will cancel my AMEX card.

Yes Pete it does, but don't cancel the AMEX card. Just mail it to me. I need more accessories for the 'Busa.

:)

Blitzn, what you've got when you're sitting there is 1G vertical. We're talking about lateral Gs. They're related, but very different. At your computer work station, you've got zero lateral Gs. Unless of course your family Rottweiler suddenly wakes from a nightmare, rams you and you both pitch out the window.

Mr Bear, check my second post (post #3). I learned that point from defectron. But as defectron also recognized, it's a "small observation" that doesn't really effect the larger and unfortunate principle that bikes are very limited in cornering because they are restricted by physics to under 1G lateral.

Peregrine, I have a vague recollection of that skid pad test, too. .9 G; there's your proof. .9 is pretty clumsy compared to most showroom stock performance cars, and downright embarrassing compared to a race car.

Boss, check my first post (post #1), wherein I describe lean angle as a combination of bike lean and rider hang off.

Despite motorcycles' cornering limitations AND PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THEM, I find them a lot more exciting to drive on the track than race cars.

[This message has been edited by Dirty Pete (edited 05 September 1999).]

Well I would like to see a race between a super bike at let's say Laguna sega and a track race car and see what happens..........Foggy Vs.................pick your favorite racer.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 05 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 05 September 1999).]

Back