Why a delay timer relay for HID?

K Wolf

Donating Member
Registered
Why not use a relay that kills the HID power circuit when the starter button is pressed?

Karl

WHy use anything on later model Busas
rock.gif
The light is automatically interlocked off during cranking.

One of the reasons I used a timer relay on mine is because it is an 02 model and the light is not interconnected...i.e., the light is on when the ignition is on, and through the start cycle. Also, the 2002 model and I think some older ones, have had some starter issues, mostly due to weak batters causing kickbacks and breaking stuff.... especially when hot. As a result, I want "all" the power for starting and not for lighting when I hit the start button. As far as using a relay, well, that's exactly what this is... a relay that I just happen to be able to adjust for when it comes on. There are a few other "technical" reasons to inhibit or limit immediate battery use immediately after starting, but in this application they don't amount to a hill of beans.

I think you could go either way. I used a delay timer cause I had one. I did not use a switch because I didn't want to forget to turn it on.

Plus with a relay you have to tap in to more things (like the starter button or starter circuit) to get it to turn off while cranking.

Guys and gals, I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with using a timer delay setup. I'm just suggesting what may be a less expensive alternative for those of us with pre-05s.

Karl

I guess you could use a relay - some creative wiring to get it to kill the headlight at startup...

I installed an 8 Second Delay Timer from Sho-Me products. The part # is 25.3800 and I picked it up for about $30.

I have an 04 busa and my light says on thur the start sequence as well. I installed mines because two reasons.  1. Their has been a number of occasions where I just stalled the bike and in haste, had to restart a couple of times to get it to turn over. And when the pwr is interrupted to the ballast it has to recharge. So every time your trying to restart your bike over, it puts a strain on the ballast and your electrical sys. I look at it as a bit of insurance for your investment, not bad for $30.  2. Because thebbbusa had the instructions on how to do it. Thanks again Brain.
beerchug.gif

Back