White Crud on Gas Cap Rubber

Dont' quit get your reply, but I'm assuming you think I'm "nit picking" the bike. I've had alot of cycles, and have never seen this happen on any of them. I always get alittle concerned when potential contamination of the fuel system is possible. Take a look at your Busa's fuel cap and see what I mean. The white residue is very fine, and some can be wiped off. I'm trying to determine if its just the rubber reaction to fuel in general, or maybe its the brand of fuel thats causing this. Hey, granted its not something to be too concerned about -- like snapping subrames or engines locking up at 160 mph due to camchain tensioner failure -- but its somehting that looks out of place.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a white residue build-up on the rubber sealing ring on the gas cap? I use only Chevron which I know does not contain any oxygenates. I cleaned this white crude off of mine, and withing a week I could see signs of it returning. I'm assuming this rubber piece is going to do this regardless of the fuel used. Anyone have more info on this?

I checked mine last night while filling up... same as yours, a fine white coating around the inner ring of the seal...... My friend has it on his 94 600 Katana....

I live in canada

I was trying to imply that the white stuff around the cap was a substance normally reserved for populating the planet.........................

(I was being silly :D :D :D ;) )

Don't get the white crud myself, but I live in UK so might be an additive

Sorry to confuse and / or upset you

Nuts

[This message has been edited by NumbNuts (edited 18 August 2000).]

Live in VA, no white film or crude on mine, yet 2900 miles. I use Amoco or Exxon.

Nuts, are you being misundertsood again?

Come you can say it...."It ain't easy being me."

joker

Busa, same crap on mine. I've also had numerous bikes and this is the first to show that (busa is my first suzuki). I use chevron premium exclusively, but El Paso has mandatory oxygenated fuel in Winter. I tried to remove it and it didn't come off, but it didn't concern me too much since I don't ride in rain or pressure wash the bike. Cheap rubber, maybe?

Back