which chain/gear set up and how to change

mesmeralda

Registered
I am at 15,000 and a few notches from the rear and was thinking of changing the chain and sprockets. I need advice, opinion and places to buy a good setup.

schnitz racing is where I got my sprokets 16/42 , and Trac Dynamics is the best price I got on a chain . ( but i'm going to extend my swingarm 8" so I had to get a 150 link chain )

Need more info. how do you like to ride? High end? off the line? mid range? what do you NOT like about the current setup? If you like it leave the same gears.

If you like it the way it is, replace it with the exact ratio sprockets. Go with AFAM for the front and back sprocket and replace the chain as it was. No reason to change. You will find many pre-made kits with Sprockets and chains included in Price. Call AFAM and tell them what you need. Above all do not go with a nice looking Alum rear.

I'll jump in on this one
smile.gif

I'd like to change my gearing around to have more of the power available at a lower RPM range.  I'm not really into breaking the speed barrier anymore, but really like to just get out and ride.  I have plenty of nice back country roads, some twisties and good straight shots around here that I love to ride down.  I'd really like to avoid having the bike on the back tire all the time but would really like to have more get up lower in the RPM range.  Thats what I dont really like about the stock config, it seems that you have to be pretty far up (6-7k) the rpm range to get into the "real" power range of the bike, which isnt really the ideal when tooling around the back roads.
Suggestions?

Just go down in front to a 16T. If you want to go just a little more leave the front at 17 and go to a 41.

What would a 16 f and 43 r do for me I was looking for more leave at the bottom and a little more air under the tire?

zukracer, your needs sound a whole lot like mine. I went 17/42, found the sweet spot I had been looking for.... but watch first gear, it's fry or fly, depending on your tire and how warm it is. This is definately a "seat of the pants" mod, you will feel it right away. For the first time, I am picking up the front tire just a bit coming out of the turns, feels great! I am a 2 thru 4 gear rider for the most part, all twisties and have found the 42t rear to be the ticket on the stock wheelbase. Just my cents worth....and, something to remember, by going with the stock chain, 112 links, and the 42, you are shortening the wheelbase by about a 1/4". Bike falls side to side a bit quicker....

<!--EDIT|moondog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114728586 -->

Back