Help with F/R sprocket change and chain.

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
How hard is it to change out sprockets and chain? I did a quick search but was wondering if anyone had any advice, things to watch out for, or a definitive walk through... I know it is probably a simple job but I have a tendency to over think jobs I haven't done or witnessed being done. Any help appreciated.
E

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/71333-drive-chain-replaced.html

For the sprockets you will need a torque wrench to get them to specs. I will try the chain next time around myself. I watched MC Mustang do mine. We had a little trouble with it but all came out good :beerchug: Its more work than most maintenance but its good to be able to do everything yourself :beerchug:

Also need a dremel with something to cut the new chain to the proper size and do get the old chain off

Very easy, I've done this job in an hour. If you are a novice it might take you two hours. Do everything to spec! Have the right tools too.

P.

And an impact wrench makes removing the front sprocket easy, sometimes they're impossible to get off without one. Make sure you get the nut off of it before you remove your chain too(36mm, just like the rear axle axle nut)

Yes, an air impact wrench is the ticket for removing those countershaft sprocket bolts. Like sixpack577 said, keep the chain on for this, and a trick I've used is to have someone step on the rear brake to keep it from trying to rotate the rear tire... :beerchug:

Yes, an air impact wrench is the ticket for removing those countershaft sprocket bolts. Like sixpack577 said, keep the chain on for this, and a trick I've used is to have someone step on the rear brake to keep it from trying to rotate the rear tire... :beerchug:

Yeah, a foot on the brake is usually needed too. And FYI, the front sprocket does use a right hand thread.

Thanks Guys! The front sprocket came off almost too easy. Putting everything back together right now.

Is there any danger in putting the axle in from right to left? It has been done before and looks like getting the caliper bracket may be a tad easier...just thinking of swaping it next time I have the wheel off.

And an impact wrench makes removing the front sprocket easy, sometimes they're impossible to get off without one. Make sure you get the nut off of it before you remove your chain too(36mm, just like the rear axle axle nut)

Not a good thing to do according to some. I didn't even need a cheater on my '06. They say you can damage things.

Pretty easy job, had to buy a 36 mm socket and barrow a chain tool.

I've never had a problem the three times I did it, but don't squezz the clutch lever with the bike apart :laugh:

Not a good thing to do according to some. I didn't even need a cheater on my '06. They say you can damage things.

I've never had a problem the three times I did it, but don't squezz the clutch lever with the bike apart :laugh:

Just make sure the trans is in neutral...bust the nut loose BEFORE you remove the chain.

You can take a piece of wood (a old broom handle works good) and wedge it between the rear sprocket and the chain to keep the chain/wheel from rotating.
Posted via Mobile Device

My 08 and several bikes over the years would not come off without an impact, no how, no way. Some come off easy, some don't. Read BA's above post.
No harm in using an impact.

My 08 and several bikes over the years would not come off without an impact, no how, no way. Some come off easy, some don't. Read BA's above post.
No harm in using an impact.

Yes, as long as the bike is in neutral :laugh: I don't always do a good job of communicating. My point was try it with the rachet and then a cheater before bringing out an impact wrench that can damage your ride. From what others have told me I was lucky that mine came off easily. My '08 will be due before next spring. I hope it's as easy as my '06 was.

Back