Which Busa Should I Get?

CTG

Registered
So I’ve owned 5 bikes so far, 2 cruisers and 3 rockets. Nothing above a 600, though I find myself to be responsible and respect the bike. I’m looking to get another bike for a trip out west with some friends, as I currently do not own one. But I do not want a bike that I’ll just sell when I get back. I love speed, obviously, but I need the comfort, and preferably something decent in the corners.. I am also 5’5”. I’m seriously considering a Gen 3 because of the cruise control and I’m hearing it is more comfortable. However, I don’t just want to go throw a 5K down payment on a bike like that if a gen 2 would suit me just as good. So I need some input from the community. Would you all suggest a gen 2 or gen 3? Also, how bad does lowering the bike - say 2” - affect ability to corner or lean? I do love taking curves fast. I put 25K miles on a 07 ZX6R in 1 year and rode it like I stole it. When I sat on a gen 3, I was nearly tip toeing on both feet. I weigh about 130lbs. I’ve ridden a couple busa’s before, but I’m pretty sure they were lowered.

Also, If I get a gen 3, I’ll be throwing a Brock’s exhaust on.. shave off all that extra weight and clean it up.

Any input appreciated, and thanks in advance!

So I’ve owned 5 bikes so far, 2 cruisers and 3 rockets. Nothing above a 600, though I find myself to be responsible and respect the bike. I’m looking to get another bike for a trip out west with some friends, as I currently do not own one. But I do not want a bike that I’ll just sell when I get back. I love speed, obviously, but I need the comfort, and preferably something decent in the corners.. I am also 5’5”. I’m seriously considering a Gen 3 because of the cruise control and I’m hearing it is more comfortable. However, I don’t just want to go throw a 5K down payment on a bike like that if a gen 2 would suit me just as good. So I need some input from the community. Would you all suggest a gen 2 or gen 3? Also, how bad does lowering the bike - say 2” - affect ability to corner or lean? I do love taking curves fast. I put 25K miles on a 07 ZX6R in 1 year and rode it like I stole it. When I sat on a gen 3, I was nearly tip toeing on both feet. I weigh about 130lbs. I’ve ridden a couple busa’s before, but I’m pretty sure they were lowered. Also, If I get a gen 3, I’ll be throwing a Brock’s exhaust on.. shave off all that extra weight and clean it up. Any input appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

I think due to the weight and how unwieldy it can be, particularly if a stop is not performed perfectly, I would lower it for control. As a street racer you will notice a performance hit in the curves, but having excellent control when stopped is very important, particularly on unpredictable street conditions. All you need is to stop on a slick or broken area while on your toes to take a nasty and expensive fall.

I’m seriously considering a Gen 3 because of the cruise control

Install for prior bikes:

I weigh about 130lbs.

The busa monoshock is sprung for about a 230 lb rider so a rebuild will help immensely. I recommend Daugherty Motorsports for an expert build that handles road flaws like a Cadillac.

Gen III easier reach and more comfortable on the wrists for your size. I'm 5' 8" and I have T-Rex length arms.
Lowered my bike 2" and it handles great.
Set up your suspension for your body weight and riding. Choosing good rubber helps a lot.
If your choice is purely about comfort and it has to be a Busa, then the vegetarian Gen III :poke:is a big improvement over older generations.
Get a Gen II if you're purely carnivorous. :laugh:

Welcome to the forum....

It's a tough call....the Hayabusa in any generation is much heavier than what you are used to and in the end is still a sport bike with all that comes with a sport bike.

If you plan on getting a Hayabusa with your height, you will need to have it lowered for sure...and then there will be all the other mods necessary for longer distance touring....lots of people here have put on Heli-bars/bar risers, changed the seat, windshield and added some sort of soft luggage to try and morph the bike into more of a touring stance.

If cruise control is the deciding factor, only one generation comes with that so it narrows down your search to a gen 3.

Thank you app for the feedback so far. I have ridden 2 busa’s before, but definitely sure they were lowered. I think 2” would be enough, but don’t want to go too low and reduce my lean angle. I have also looked into Helibars. They make devices for cruise control as well, if I end up not getting the gen 3. Luggage I’m not incredibly concerned about, but they have aftermarket luggage for it. I live in jeffersonville indiana, and the trip west is as far as Yellowstone/Grand Canyon, possibly as far as pacific coast. So comfort would be nice. However regular sport bikes never bothered me too much. The gen 3 is more relaxed from what I hear, and is a little easier to toss in corners from vids I’ve watched. Basically, it’s the difference in me saving nearly 10K by getting a gen 2 or not

Thank you app for the feedback so far. I have ridden 2 busa’s before, but definitely sure they were lowered. I think 2” would be enough, but don’t want to go too low and reduce my lean angle. I have also looked into Helibars. They make devices for cruise control as well, if I end up not getting the gen 3. Luggage I’m not incredibly concerned about, but they have aftermarket luggage for it. I live in jeffersonville indiana, and the trip west is as far as Yellowstone/Grand Canyon, possibly as far as pacific coast. So comfort would be nice. However regular sport bikes never bothered me too much. The gen 3 is more relaxed from what I hear, and is a little easier to toss in corners from vids I’ve watched. Basically, it’s the difference in me saving nearly 10K by getting a gen 2 or not
Personally, my gen 2 does everything I need it to do.....and does it well but in it's defense, I re-worked the suspension and brakes which makes it handle and stop very well. Plus it has helibars, drop pegs and a re-worked seat along with the usual power adders.

If you bought a gen 3, you will have the purchase cost plus the additional necessary mods to make it a better suited tour mount.....and that all adds up in the end.

The Gen 3 is the better looking bike and the cutting edge of technology. However that same technology is proving problematic in some cases.

There are lots of threads in the Gen 3 forum that would be prudent for you to take a look at.

I don’t just want to go throw a 5K down payment on a bike like that...

Basically, it’s the difference in me saving nearly 10K by getting a gen 2 or not

No question when money is a factor: Get a gen 2. If you can make this happen without a loan that would be much better for your future. Simple modifications will help it approach the third generation's improvements from its geometry changes.

Personally, my gen 2 does everything I need it to do.....and does it well but in it's defense, I re-worked the suspension and brakes which makes it handle and stop very well. Plus it has helibars, drop pegs and a re-worked seat along with the usual power adders.

If you bought a gen 3, you will have the purchase cost plus the additional necessary mods to make it a better suited tour mount.....and that all adds up in the end.

The Gen 3 is the better looking bike and the cutting edge of technology. However that same technology is proving problematic in some cases.

There are lots of threads in the Gen 3 forum that would be prudent for you to take a look at.
Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll take a look at the forum and also consider the gen 2. I’m a little terrified of gen 1/2 because I hate to buy a used bike that’s been ran through. So a brand new one that only I have messed with is a comforting thought. Though, I can find a really good deal on the gen 2. Decisions decisions lol

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ll take a look at the forum and also consider the gen 2. I’m a little terrified of gen 1/2 because I hate to buy a used bike that’s been ran through. So a brand new one that only I have messed with is a comforting thought. Though, I can find a really good deal on the gen 2. Decisions decisions lol
They made the second gen into 2020 and there are still a few NOS bikes out there that didn't sell due to the gen 3's arrival...

I sat on my brother-in-law's Harley Pan America this weekend. A dual sport machine. What was neat was that the suspension lowers on start up, then raises while under way.

At 5'9" / 165# I'm comfortable on my Gen 1. FWIW.

Good luck!

IMG_5035-M.jpg

Also
Are you Sure you want a Brocks exhaust on a cross country trip?
They are Loud...and that's a long time to listen to it drone.
They also put off some heat on your foot.
To each their own, just something to consider.
I thought about that today, and you’re right. Especially if I go into National parks. I know I want a much lighter exhaust, preferably single instead of double. Need to look more into them

Hmm well I have a gen 2 2020 and I love it I don't have the hieght problem so not sure on the coner aspect, but I agree with what has been said concerning the gen 3 and its problems. I do understand the apprehension of buying a used gen 2 also, but the busa seems to be bullet proof so a good inspection may help to ease this. Compared to a new bike at a very high price and then having the problems that can make ya kick yourself and learn new swear words! I'd say ask yourself what can ya fix on your own with a gen 2 compared to possibly getting a lemon with a gen 3 with no way to fix it. Either way a brocks full ct is very quiet on long rides for a gen 2 not sure if it fit gen 3 and loss of wieght is phenomenal! Also BST wheels are fantastic for weight also. I love mine. Hope this helps ya

I think I really just need to ride them both and see which one I enjoy more. Problem is, actually finding a place or people to allow it lol. You have a beautiful bike!
May I ask, what handlebar risers you’re using on that Gen 2? Are they available on the gen 3 as well

Back