When is it TOO much?

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I went to a shop last weekend to get my girl's Katana lowered. While there I saw an old school R1 with "1317" on the gas tank. I asked the owner was that what the engine was bored out to (I figured it was but I didn't think anyone would go from a 999 to a 1317) and his words were:

Yeah. I told him that was too much but he wanted it anyways. Thats why it back here now.

I don't know what was actually wrong with it but I started to wonder ... how far can a Busa go before its considered too much and what can go wrong if that point is crossed?

<!--EDIT|Spigga
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115860892 -->

rad busa is 1661 so guess we can start there
cool.gif

As far as boring the cylinders - 3mm is VERY aggressive (1397cc) - there is a 4mm - but your headgasket clamping area is so small at that point that I wouldn't even think about using it as a street bike

Muzzy does make a big block which can go 5mm - but the outter 2 cylinders offset the rods 1 mm in either direction - not for me

so in my "opinion" - 3mm is about as big as you would want to go - boring alaone

if you stroke a 3mm by 5mm - then you go to 1507

if you stroke a 2mm by 5mm - then you go to 1480

so how did they get that 1661? it puts out like 234 hp to the wheel NATURALLY ASPIRATED! it must be living on the edge of sending a rod up through the riders crotch???

you guys havent seen rad busa...the elf busa. Its the GP busa i think top speed of 200 mph. weghs 347 lbs...just a sick azz bike

so how did they get that 1661?  it puts out like 234 hp to the wheel NATURALLY ASPIRATED!  it must be living on the edge of sending a rod up through the riders crotch???
The ELF sponsored 1661cc Busa is putting down about 260RWHP!

First bike to break 200mph on a road course I believe.

While there I saw an old school R1 with "1317" on the gas tank.
Am I the only one who noticed this? Damn I'm getting old when an R1 is "Old School"
I think he means one of the older R1's... like from the 90's perhaps? ... the old body style. They changed it a few years ago.
i know what he means, it just cracks me up that a bike that didn't hit the market til 98 is considered old school by some. I'm just getting old I guess. 86 Ninja 1000, 85 GSXR 750, Hurricane, FZ600, those are old school to me!

so how did they get that 1661?  it puts out like 234 hp to the wheel NATURALLY ASPIRATED!  it must be living on the edge of sending a rod up through the riders crotch???
The ELF sponsored 1661cc Busa is putting down about 260RWHP!

First bike to break 200mph on a road course I believe.
Yup thats the elf and if i had the 50k id own one...hell if i had the 5 k i'd own the plastics

Back