When is a billet clutch basket a good idea?

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
Hi,

Having a turbo and some other upgraded parts like the output shaft is it wise to get a billet clutch basket? I take it to the drag strip and would like to prevent a problem if I can. If people say they are running stock ones faster / more hp than I am going, that is also good info to hear.

Any comments would be helpful

Has anybody have a clutch basket fail?

Aside from calling the speed shops and ordering one I am looking to see what engine combo requires a billet basket....or if the stock part# is strong enough in a stage 1 turbo deal / application

I believe in many safe guards when running a turbo along with a lockup clutch. I don't know how strong the stock basket for high HP and I really haven't heard of any failures. I do know on some of the other brands ie; Kawi ZX12R are notorious for being very weak and need one after 190hp or running NOS/Turbo.

I just sold one this week as I decided to go with the Hays Conv Clutch setup which comes with a billet outer basket and a modded stock inner. I will use my MTC inner for this setup actually.

I don't think there's been enough basket failures to say that there's a specific point/hp level that requires a billet basket. As a safe guard alot of people upgrade once they start messing with the more crazy clutch setups. I've seen OE baskets used with lockups on high hp bikes without any failures. If your running just a basic lockup clutch (no multi stage, hayes, etc.) you could probably stick with the OE basket. I would suggest if you've got the budget for it to go for it simply for piece of mind.

I've burned through a few clutch packs. This was after having a billet basket. I had an OE hub that was wreched from it. After that I went with a billet MTC hub.

I have seen some wear on the OE basket from the springs. This wasn't something you could easily see unless dissasembled. Over time the springs could have caused me problems.

Yeah I would like to hear anyone who had a clutch fail post here. I have seen alot of hp and stock clutch do great.

P4115662.jpg

P4115668.jpg

P4115671.jpg

Back