Wheels and Paint

Mythos

Registered
I have a lot of questions about wheel painting so I guess I will just list them and see where that takes us. No point in going into too much detail with questions until someone responds. Thanks. Hope to hear from someone soon.

1. Should the surfaces that the rotors and sprocket lay against be masked so as to not cause any slight irregularity in the flatness of those areas?

2. Do the rubber seals by the axle or any other parts need to be removed?

3. I have brand new tires on the rims now. Could I leave the tires on and mask those and the valve stems?

4. Would it be proper to remove the wheel weights and put them back on in the same spots after painting?

5. Should the surface that the tire beads against be painted; or is it best to leave the OEM paint on the bead area? (If the new paint did not adhere, I would not want it to be on the tire bead area)

6. Is there any way I could remove the white paint only so that the OEM paint is once again visible?

i think, and this is just my opinion, you could do much better by taking the rubber, brake hardware and sprocket off and getting them powder coated than to go thru the headache you are talking about...

i think, and this is just my opinion, you could do much better by taking the rubber, brake hardware and sprocket off and getting them powder coated than to go thru the headache you are talking about...

Agreed, you can find great deals on powdercoating, example: I inquired about getting 4-16" car rims done and was quoted $100 if I could get them sand blasted first.

Thanks. I guess I will be going the powdercoating rout. It would be an awful lot of work to put into something without having good results. It's a commitment. Must be done right and if I don't like, only way to go back is to re-powdercoat.

BTW, I don't know if this is true but I was told by one individual that tires will only bond to OEM wheel finish so the bead area should be masked. Guess it couldn't hurt. nobody can see there anyway.

Thanks for responses.

you might want to contact T & M Powdercoating one of the site sponsers, he may give you a little more insight as to what to look for from a powdercoater or better yet let him do them....good luck..:thumbsup:

+1 on tmpowdercoating, he does a great job for a great price...just send him a pm or call him at (618)660-5148 and tell him you are from the .org...he'll take care of you :beerchug:

Thanks guys. I will check with T&M. I have a feeling the shipping might make it cost prohibitive but worth looking into for sure.

take everything off the wheels, everything. have them sand blasted and powdercoated. u should be able to find someone local. lots of people do it. hard part is finding the color of powder u want.

Thanks. I guess I will be going the powdercoating rout. It would be an awful lot of work to put into something without having good results. It's a commitment. Must be done right and if I don't like, only way to go back is to re-powdercoat.

BTW, I don't know if this is true but I was told by one individual that tires will only bond to OEM wheel finish so the bead area should be masked. Guess it couldn't hurt. nobody can see there anyway.

Thanks for responses.

^^^^Tires bond to OEM paint only is total bollsh!t. Someone told me that sarcastically on another forum and I believed it. Another member noticed I was fooled and corrected me. That is how misinformation starts on the internet.

SO --a reliable powdercoater should be able to paint the whole rim. Any spots that are left unpainted in the OEM paint should be left bare if you repaint.

^^^^Tires bond to OEM paint only is total bollsh!t. Someone told me that sarcastically on another forum and I believed it. Another member noticed I was fooled and corrected me. That is how misinformation starts on the internet.

SO --a reliable powdercoater should be able to paint the whole rim. Any spots that are left unpainted in the OEM paint should be left bare if you repaint.

i dont think you'll find anyone here steering you in the wrong direction, let us know how things turn out and post up some pics of the bike with the wheels done for everyone to see, you know we like the pics:thumbsup:

Thanks, Bruh. I'm afraid it is going to be a while. The new BT-003 need to get worn off before I remove the tires for powdercoating. The tires might actually hold up for quite a few miles on the cold dirty streets in early Spring. I always take it easy until May....on the corners.

BTW, the wheels I intend to paint are on my midnight sapphire blue 14. --didn't know if I should reveal that or not--:laugh:

My 08 busa looks perfect in black and orange. If I switch wheels on her some day, I will be making them black.. If they are BSTs...I suppose they would have to remain as is. Can't powdercoat CF, I'm sure of that.

you can still post the 14 here we dont mind.....well some might....:laugh:

NewbusablackCannon007.jpg

NewbusablackCannon005.jpg

If the bikes can stay this close, i don't see why the riders can't get along.

I never could really pick a fav. The busa is more sport but the 14 is just special somehow. Both just as fast.

Back