What's wrong with D208's on the Busa

justin726

Registered
I did some searching around here and notice that some people really didn't seem to care for the D208's, at least on the Busa. Was just curious as to why this may be?

I'm looking at getting some race take-offs for my Busa and was considering the Dunlops, but now I might look into getting a pair of Pirelli or Michelin take-offs. I do about 98% of my riding out on the straight highways. There just aren't hardly any curves around here, so I think the take-offs should have some good life left in the center of them for me to use up.

i run 208's and really like em... not sure why anybody wouldn't...

D208's seem to take too long to heat up enough to hold traction on a decent road for me. I just can't keep from slipping the rear tire, but atleast I QUICKLY learned how to enjoy the slipping! Probably going to M1's next

I've heard sparkling reviews and sub-par reviews for the D208's. I think I'll be going with the diablos this time around.

My rear 208 is great. I do have to watch how hard I hit it before it is warmed up, but then really good sticky.

If you did a search, I am sure that you have read my posts on the D208s, as I am one who does not care for them. Truth be know, I "did" like them, until I tried something else. If you are commuting and riding on straight highways, you will be 100% satisfied, I just do not care for their performance in the twisties. And like I said, I didn't realize how bad they were until I tried a different tire.

Keep in mind there are several types of 208s...

Something to ponder tho, if you are buying race take-offs, they will probably be D208 GPs, as the D208ZR is not really a track/racing tire. It is a street tire. If you are getting GPs, (I am only speculating here I have no idea what you are buying) then you won't get as many miles of them compared to the ZR.
I have read nothing but good reviews of the GPs performance, I would love to try a set out. I thought about buying some race take offs on ebay myself, just to find out myself.
-Bill

208gp's freakin rock. I had a set and loved them. Low mileage but KILLIN in the twisties. One word of advice. They are NOT a cold weather tire. They have to be warm and the road has to be warm. Say 70 outside minimum or they are treacherous and dont ride in the rain either.

Depends on which one you are referring to. The GP versions (DOT race) are really quite nice but are not recommended for street riding due to the soft compound (short street life) and poor traction in the wet/cold. Using GP take off's is not a good idea IMHO unless you NEVER use them in the cold or wet and plan on replaceing them often.

The ZR versions (standard street) are no better or worse than your average sport tire but in general but are considered by most to be inferrior to M1's or Diablo's for grip, quick heat-up, and wet/cold grip - all important things to more agressive street riders.

This is why many people here do not like D208ZR's.

I used a couple of sets of Race take-offs 208gp on my TLR with good results . Yes they have to be warm to stick and they dont do well in the cold or wet .

I'm not sure whats wrong with these other guys... haha..

i've ran the piss outta my 208's in 50 degree weather.. in the rain. you name it.. I do agree that they are a touch slick before you get a few miles in to warm em up.. but uh... how many of us live 1/2 a mile from twisites?

If 208's didn't stick I would have wiped my busa out long ago.

personally i think it's a case of not having the right name or costing enough to be as "good as. . ."

but thats just my humbled opinion.

I'm not sure whats wrong with these other guys...  haha..

i've ran the piss outta my 208's in 50 degree weather.. in the rain. you name it..  I do agree that they are a touch slick before you get a few miles in to warm em up.. but uh...  how many of us live 1/2 a mile from twisites?

personally i think it's a case of not having the right name or costing enough to be as "good as. . ."

Yeah I can't believe that they are as poor as most people on the board will tell you they are. But at the same time, why try it when everyone agrees that M1's and Diablo's rule and they cost only a touch more than D208ZR's. I think maybe that is the point here.

Also note that D208's have already been replaced with D218's which are being advertised as having "much quicker warm-up and better wet grip".

Hmmm sounds like even Dunlop agrees that it needed improvement. At least they are listening. No hard feelings guys, just enjoying the debate.

I'm not sure whats wrong with these other guys...  haha..

i've ran the piss outta my 208's in 50 degree weather.. in the rain. you name it..  I do agree that they are a touch slick before you get a few miles in to warm em up.. but uh...  how many of us live 1/2 a mile from twisites?

Bro, as the tire is fine for normal commuting and sum twisties.
As I said earlier, about 8 months ago, I thought just like you do now, until...
I tried another tire. You don't realize how bad they are until you move up to sumthin better... Kinda like sex...if ya know what i mean. I rode 208s all last winter, they slipped some, I thought this was normal, well when I tried the pilots, I found them sub-par.

One of my observations has been that almost everyone that buys a new busa, runs the BT56 its lifespan, then buys a D208 love the dunlop!

Try a pilot if ya wanna, it IS a better tire for twistie riding. If you want more treadlife, and a lower performance level. I would stick with the D208. To each his own right?

I live 45 mins from twisties personally, gives me time to warm up any tire... For me name has nothin to do with it. I WAS a die hard dunlop fan, cuz all I had run on my Superhawk and my RC51 was 207 & 208s. My busa I bought used came shod with HPXs, now I just ordered the Metzlers last night.

Thank you for your input! It is appreciated. I hope maybe my experience can help you...

Yeah I can't believe that they are as poor as most people on the board will tell you they are. But at the same time, why try it when everyone agrees that M1's and Diablo's rule and they cost only a touch more than D208ZR's. I think maybe that is the point here.

Also note that D208's have already been replaced with D218's which are being advertised as having "much quicker warm-up and better wet grip".

Hmmm sounds like even Dunlop agrees that it needed improvement. At least they are listening. No hard feelings guys, just enjoying the debate.
M1s clost LESS than D208ZRs.

I too hope that the D218s are great.

Back