whats the point of buying sport bike

I agree riding with newbies is a scary thing. I always try to put the new ones up front and then stay back aways. I don't know why some ride in t-shirts and sneakers, but hey if they want to be idiots....

I love the local "squid sqaud"....as they migrate from one Sonic drive in to the next, doing their helmetless stand-up wheelies and bouncing off each other.... they take a good portion of the Fayetteville police dept with them. It's great, as long as you know where they are, you can ride the other way, safe and ticket free. Ride on my squidly heros...ride on. The night is young.....

Jink:  Team Calamari!  :Laugh:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Go over the "You are invisible" concept. [/QUOTE]

A huge thing to remind them of.  I was reminded of it this morning when soccer mom and her minivan tried to change lanes into me.  I literally knocked on her window she got so close.

<!--EDIT|RandomNickname
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114626885 -->

laugh.gif

C'mon guys you are all missing the point. The whole point of buying a sportbike when you don't know how to ride it is to look cool. I thought everyone knew that. Just go ask some of your local squidlets.......

Nothing wrong with a sportbike as a first bike. Not even if it's a brand new Busa.... As in my case (just passed 13000 miles on the odometer in the last 13 months now). It's more common sense and consideration. Without it, one can cause accidents on a tricycle!

Some will crash & burn, some will fall and get back on with more sense, and some may fall and just sell the bike to get out of it. As someone already said, it trims down the herd.

I bought mine as my first bike. Been down 5 times But always been able to ride away without any damage to self. But I wear a draggin jeans, riding jackets and gloves. I'm not out testing top speed but I do enjoy erasing my chicken strips. I do it on right handers because all left handers are basically blind at leaning speeds. I rode with a group of relativeley old men 50-60 yrs old on average. They are waaaaayyy fast. I went and blew by a cornere and blew my front tire while taking the haya airborne. Nothing happened just a bent rim. For the past three months they have a at least one rider down every outing. For me I stay in the back and let them bust their butts out there. I learned that if I show off I will show off some skin grafts and bolts. No need for that. These men are experienced but are fast. I wouldn't ride with them if they were newbies or my age. I will go back to them. But I won't go back to riding with the cruisers since all they do is drink and ride. How smart is that. GEAR up and at least think how much it costs to fix the plastics on this baby.

Nothing wrong with a sportbike as a first bike.  Not even if it's a brand new Busa.... [/QUOTE]

No there's not, if like you pointed out, common sense (which is woefully UNcommon) is used.  

The problem is that even then, if a mistake is made, a sportbike tends to be less forgiving/recoverable than a less twitchy/powerful bike.

<!--EDIT|RandomNickname
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114636698 -->

I think most of us were squids at some point... just be careful around em' for a while and maybe your good habits will become their good habits also..

im 20 and im listening...
smile.gif
goin on a group ride this weekend with newbies and ill take ur advice on putting them up front.

<span style='color:#FF0000'>For the past three months they have a at least one rider down every outing.</span> For me I stay in the back and let them bust their butts out there. I learned that if I show off I will show off some skin grafts and bolts. No need for that. These men are experienced but are fast. I wouldn't ride with them if they were newbies or my age. <span style='color:#FF0000'>I will go back to them.</span>[/QUOTE]

I kinda got lost in the math between that first statement and the last... I wouldn't ride with any group that dropped a bike that often.

<!--EDIT|Scribbler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114673776 -->

superbusaman -

Feel free to talk to them and try to share some wisdom with them. But don’t expect them to have enough common sense to listen.

Cases in point.

neighbor across my street at my old house a few years back. Buy's a new GSXR. No gear except helmet.

With my years of experience and a few accidents under my belt and the fact I care about this kid, I decide to try and talk to him about getting gear.

He was like 23 at the time. Even though we know each other and always got a long, as soon as I tried sharing some wisdom with him, I immediately got attitude like I had no fricken idea what I was talking about. He told me he knew how to ride, and he wasnt going to do anything stupid.. blah blah blah.

So seeing I saw his wall going up and he wasnt going to listen to me anyway, I just smiled and said “okâ€

2 months later I see him bringing his bike back in the back of a truck, he decided to do a wheelie and looped it, trashed his bike, tore him self up abit. I never said anything to him.

One of his friends started doing wheelies down my 25mph residential street. 50mph wheelies.

I yelled at the guy to knock it off, he parked his bike and stood across the street with one of his buddies and they had their arms folded across their chests trying to act all tough and stuff, the guy doing the wheelies yelled at me and asked me if I had a problem (in a tone as though he thought I was going to wuss out and back down or something), I said sure do, why don’t you come over so we can discuss it. I didnt care if him and his buddy and other friends came over, I was so pissed didnt really who thought they were going to back me down.

At that point he walked over and his friend stayed put, I basically chewed his but out telling him my 3 boys AND the neighbors boys play all the time in the area, and all it takes is for him to be doing a 50 mph hour wheelie and some kid to chase a ball in the street and it would be all over, for him AND the kid.

He never did a wheelie again down the street, but I think it was more because I intimidated him than he agreed with me.

Point I am trying to make, you can talk till your blue in the face, and most of these kids 25 years old and younger think they know everything, they don’t understand the concept of riding beyond their abilities, they don’t think they will ever get hurt and nothing you can say will convince them otherwise.

If you feel a moral obligation to say something, do it, but don’t expect them to listen and just don’t ride with them. If you ride with them you are going to bond with them and it will make it harder for you when one of them gets killed.

Stay out of the frag pattern

I am not against any specific age of riders, but if you are going to ride fast, or do wheelies or any other stunts, expect to go down and wear as much gear as possible. If you are driving like a bat out of hell and doing all kinds of stunts and you are not wearing anything but jeans and running shoes, you don’t have any common sense and eventually something will go wrong.

Just my .02
..rightly put bro.

Back