whats the point of buying sport bike

superbusaman

Registered
ok well heres my thing. im 25 years old, so i know im no proffesional. but in like the past 2 weeks theres been about 6 guys(ages 20-25) that never have had bikes and just bought them. i know u have to start with something but geez, one has a brand new zx6 that he didnt even drive home from the dealer. nother with and rc51, gsxr1100, r1. they stopped over to ride today, i dont really like riding in big groups especially if the want to go all out all the time. from what i hear the all have been pretty fast. so i was checking out the bikes, and there chicken strips i dont know how they even take a corner, when there done doing burnouts maybe i could sell them for track days haha!!! and last they all buy these bikes and cant afford to buy good gear. sneakers, sweatshirts, jeans, helmets that some looked like snowmobile helmets. gloves, some did some didnt. oh well... anyone else feel or expierence what i have?

I've seen it. Try talking to them and explaining the error of their ways. If that don't work then just make sure you stay away from them and that they know why you refuse to ride with them. Sure part of it is their safety, but if they are that unsafe, then it becomes innocent bystander/riders safety as well.

Yowza.
laugh.gif

I dunno... the idea of doing that sort of bike as a first bike is idiocy at best, IMO. Especially if they're going to ride like bats out of hell and do burnouts and such. Going without gear just adds a layer of fecal icing to the cake.

You're probably pretty smart to not want to ride with them if they're going all out. That's the kinda of person who is an accident waiting to happen to someone else.

We all started somewhere. As they make mistakes (and hopefully learn from them) you will see changes in riding apparel. As for riding in groups I can see your point. When riding in groups there are advantages and disadvantages. I tend to hang in the back and enjoy playing "catch up" to get my speed rush but mostly relax and enjoy the scenery and/or simply riding with friends. Give them time and pointers and soon enough you'll more than likely change your mind about the squids errr I mean newcomers
biggrin.gif

That's why I ride solo most of the time.

That's kind of bicycle mentality. While it should be more like flying a plane mentality.

Stay away from those at all costs.

Whatever you do... do not cave to peer pressure. They want a piece of you, and test their mettle against the 'Busa. They're all riding high powered bikes, no gear, no experience (believe you said 1st bikes), and ride like morons. One (or more) of them is dead, they just don't know it yet, or at the very least severely banged up.

Riding in packs is actually a lot of fun if it's done correctly. If you're outside of the cities, large packs are great to ride with. In town though, ideally I like to ride with 3 in the group.

I'd recommend you get online (which I guess you already are
cool.gif
) and track down a sportbike club in your local state/city. Almost every state has at least one. Track one down, and you'll find a well experienced group of people to ride with, all who wear gear, and riders with varying degrees of skill from 1st bike owner to those who know how to ride well. If you do that you'll find an endless supply of riding tips, some of the best riding experiences of your life, deals on gear for yourself and your bike, and invitation to sponsored events.

[edit]For some reason I thought you were a new rider... reading back I can't fathom why. Won't edit my last statement though. Perhaps another who needs advice may see it.

<!--EDIT|Scribbler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114577842 -->

DONT LET THEM TAKE YOU OUT WITH THEM.

That being said, they are potential riding "buddies" if they are goomed properly. If you have any infleuence you may be able to "groom" them, thereby creating safe riding partners and possibly saving their life.

You have a busa, so they might look up to you as the "guru", who knows. I know it might be tempting to give them some superficial crap, but don't. Instead impart some wisdom.

Everyone here has heard the old tride and true advice. But they probably HAVEN'T. Get them to read some good books suggested on the board. (Keith Codes for example)

Reinforce the concept that any IDIOT can twist the throttle, but it takes skill to stop.

Go over the "You are invisible" concept. Fast in the retirement capitol might not be a good idea everywhere.

Last of the top three. Preach to them about target fixation and proper following distance.

We should start a campain. "Save a Squid"
smile.gif

Good luck,
Chris

You can try to help people, but only to a certain point. That is when nature takes over and the natural selection process tends to thin the herd.....
40__s.gif

Besides the grief brought to thier surviving friends/family, don't be fooled into thinking that it does not effect you. Especially the next time your insurance policy renews....

Stay away from them!! I had a friend that met a couple of guys that had just bought brand new bikes, and they wanted him to ride with them. well lets say they opened there mouth and told everyone they could ride, when they could not!! They ended up wiping out on a steep right hander, and also taking out my buddy coming up on them behind. stupid mistakes, by non-experienced riders!! So just watch your back!!

My suggestion ... ride solo!!

I like riding solo! The maximum is another friend with me... more than that, is a pain!!
smile.gif

If you ride with them stay as far back as possible, so that you can react to their stupid moves!

some good points, if i see them again maybe i will bring up something about there gear and go out with them next time and stay behind to see how they really ride, but like the one said im sure they will want to see how they measure up the the busa. i could always take them down a twistie road that i know
biggrin.gif
j/k thanks for the info. usually when i ride long distances i ride with a guy thats about 38 and been riding for ever. learned soem good things from him, and of course being on here!!

it has nothing to do with just sport bikes I see it everyday dumbarses that can't ride JACK out on bikes, Saw this kid on a sport bike not to long ago had a beautiful girl on back he couldn't even turn that bike I hope she lives, everyday on cruisers around here you see some more future road kill.
sad.gif

Nothing wrong with starting with a sportbike so long as the new owner has a brain cell or two that function. If not, it's a bad thing. I personally like riding in groups, but avoid inexperienced riders until they prove themselves a bit.

I WON'T ride with "Team Calimari"....

or anyone else who seems to think that flesh and bone is tougher than steel and asphault.
wow.gif

I plagurized and adopted this cool saying from an old and close riding bud of mine years ago for use on such sea going specimens who insist that "They'll be Okay" (without jacket, boots & gloves) and show up to one of my rides with Helmet, T-Shirt and Sneakers...like walking out onto an NFL football field in your street duds..and tell'em...

"IF YOU DON'T THINK GEAR IS 'IMPORTANT'?...THEN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN NAKED AND DIVE ON THE PAVEMENT...IF AFTER THAT YOU CAN COME BACK AND TELL ME THAT 'GEAR AIN'T IMPORTANT' WITH A STRAIGHT FACE?...THEN MAYBE I'LL BELIEVE YOU...TILL THEN?...NO GEAR?...NO RIDE."

Now some folks won't "Ride With Me" over this mindset but...that's more than fine by me...and others yet think it's not my business to dictate what they refuse to wear...and again...that's fine by me....but if I'm the riding bud that's left explaining what happened to you too your wife, kids or parents?...none of it's gonna be due to stupidity and/or ignorance on our part...and if a particular rider hasn't got the basic sense to protect himself?...then shame on me for riding with'im....and promoting stupidity.

I'd rather the screws and bracing be on the outside of my boots and gear instead of inside the flesh and bone of my ankles, knees, back or shoulders and....no leathers in the world are quite as expensive or near as painful as one single skin graft...ride for the fun but..dress for the crash...this way you'll always be prepared for whatever the day may bring your way.

Rant over & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

superbusaman -

Feel free to talk to them and try to share some wisdom with them. But don’t expect them to have enough common sense to listen.

Cases in point.

neighbor across my street at my old house a few years back. Buy's a new GSXR. No gear except helmet.

With my years of experience and a few accidents under my belt and the fact I care about this kid, I decide to try and talk to him about getting gear.

He was like 23 at the time. Even though we know each other and always got a long, as soon as I tried sharing some wisdom with him, I immediately got attitude like I had no fricken idea what I was talking about. He told me he knew how to ride, and he wasnt going to do anything stupid.. blah blah blah.

So seeing I saw his wall going up and he wasnt going to listen to me anyway, I just smiled and said “okâ€

2 months later I see him bringing his bike back in the back of a truck, he decided to do a wheelie and looped it, trashed his bike, tore him self up abit. I never said anything to him.

One of his friends started doing wheelies down my 25mph residential street. 50mph wheelies.

I yelled at the guy to knock it off, he parked his bike and stood across the street with one of his buddies and they had their arms folded across their chests trying to act all tough and stuff, the guy doing the wheelies yelled at me and asked me if I had a problem (in a tone as though he thought I was going to wuss out and back down or something), I said sure do, why don’t you come over so we can discuss it. I didnt care if him and his buddy and other friends came over, I was so pissed didnt really who thought they were going to back me down.

At that point he walked over and his friend stayed put, I basically chewed his but out telling him my 3 boys AND the neighbors boys play all the time in the area, and all it takes is for him to be doing a 50 mph hour wheelie and some kid to chase a ball in the street and it would be all over, for him AND the kid.

He never did a wheelie again down the street, but I think it was more because I intimidated him than he agreed with me.

Point I am trying to make, you can talk till your blue in the face, and most of these kids 25 years old and younger think they know everything, they don’t understand the concept of riding beyond their abilities, they don’t think they will ever get hurt and nothing you can say will convince them otherwise.

If you feel a moral obligation to say something, do it, but don’t expect them to listen and just don’t ride with them. If you ride with them you are going to bond with them and it will make it harder for you when one of them gets killed.

Stay out of the frag pattern

I am not against any specific age of riders, but if you are going to ride fast, or do wheelies or any other stunts, expect to go down and wear as much gear as possible. If you are driving like a bat out of hell and doing all kinds of stunts and you are not wearing anything but jeans and running shoes, you don’t have any common sense and eventually something will go wrong.

Just my .02

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114621866 -->

As for riding in groups I can see your point. When riding in groups there are advantages and disadvantages. I tend to hang in the back and enjoy playing "catch up" to get my speed rush but mostly relax and enjoy the scenery and/or simply riding with friends. Give them time and pointers and soon enough you'll more than likely change your mind about the squids errr I mean newcomers
biggrin.gif
I totally agree!

Back